Neil Young

Got a reply, to which they said "Looks like the pre-order is still active! Let me know if you're still seeing a dead page when you go to look at your order." I logged in from my desktop, and it's there now, however, there's also a line on the order that says "This product is only available at store locations". I replied to make sure they'll ship these out, will let you know what they say.
That’s not unusual for them if an item is no longer available online. Usually not a problem unless they oversell.

That’s not unusual for them if an item is no longer available online. Usually not a problem unless they oversell.
Fingers crossed that they don't oversell this one...Mine is in my orders and says the same as @Sonicpharmacist 's.

Not related to that, but I have only recently been getting back into Neil Young. You guys have any recs for some must-listen deeper cuts? I know most of the more well-known albums but want to take a deeper dive!

Fingers crossed that they don't oversell this one...Mine is in my orders and says the same as @Sonicpharmacist 's.

Not related to that, but I have only recently been getting back into Neil Young. You guys have any recs for some must-listen deeper cuts? I know most of the more well-known albums but want to take a deeper dive!
15,000 is a lot. Harvest Moon was only limited to 5000 and that's still readily available.

Check out any of the live archive releases, especially the Crazy Horse show at Filmore. Or hell, just join the archive for $20 a year you have access to eveything.

Not sure what you mean by his well known albums, but my favorite album of his is Rust Never Sleeps. It’s perfect. Other favorites are Ragged Glory, Freedom (both of which desperately need vinyl new releases). Freedom is what saw his resurgence into popularity as being deemed the “godfather of grunge” (i.e, Rockin In the Free World), and Ragged Glory is with Crazy Horse, and is fantastic. Time Fades Away is another favorite of mine. It’s a live album he made before Tonight’s The Night and On The Beach, but contains only “new” songs. It’s a sloppy, ragged, alcohol soaked mess, but the performances are raw and exciting. Actually the string of albums from TFA, On The Beach, Tonight’s the Night, and Zuma, while quite dark, are some of his most underappreciated work.

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by his well known albums, but my favorite album of his is Rust Never Sleeps. It’s perfect. Other favorites are Ragged Glory, Freedom (both of which desperately need vinyl new releases). Freedom is what saw his resurgence into popularity as being deemed the “godfather of grunge” (i.e, Rockin In the Free World), and Ragged Glory is with Crazy Horse, and is fantastic. Time Fades Away is another favorite of mine. It’s a live album he made before Tonight’s The Night and On The Beach, but contains only “new” songs. It’s a sloppy, ragged, alcohol soaked mess, but the performances are raw and exciting. Actually the string of albums from TFA, On The Beach, Tonight’s the Night, and Zuma, while quite dark, are some of his most underappreciated work.
Should have clarified! I have Harvest and After the Gold Rush on vinyl. Tonight’s The Night and Rust Never Sleeps have both been recent listens that have gotten me back into him. I’ll check out the others you and @Lee Newman mentioned too. I also had the online archives for a bit but will look into it again! Didn’t realize it was only $20/year.

Should have clarified! I have Harvest and After the Gold Rush on vinyl. Tonight’s The Night and Rust Never Sleeps have both been recent listens that have gotten me back into him. I’ll check out the others you and @Lee Newman mentioned too. I also had the online archives for a bit but will look into it again! Didn’t realize it was only $20/year.
I didn’t know the Archives were so cheap either!

I think last time I looked at it I knew even less about Neil and it was really intimidating hah. There was SO much stuff on there and I didn’t know where to start.
That’s one of the most frustrating things about Neil, he releases everything, so it’s quite a daunting task to sift through it all.

Everybody Knows this is Nowhere is a classic that (also) shouldn't be missed.

The whole album cycle of Time Fades Away - On The Beach - Tonight's The Night - Zuma is essential in my mind. Others I'd consider necessities are Live Rust, Ragged Glory, Weld, Massey Hall 1971, Hawks & Doves, Fillmore 1970. I prefer loud Neil for the most part.

The thing with Neil - he's such a musical chameleon you can sometimes listen to 3 sequential records and they'll all be totally different. He has no fear. And that's what I love about him.

I’m a big fan of Neil, Prince, Johnny Cash and Miles David’s. Large diverse catalogs are what I’m into.
I love those guys too. Finally found an entry point into Sun Ra a year or two ago as well. It’s awesome when it just clicks sometimes for artists with huge discographies but can take awhile to find the right way in!

Same for me. Part of the fun is finding the gems, and seeing the evolution of the artist. Speaking of which, I’m currently getting into electric Miles, big time.
Oh boy. Electric Miles has some gems. In the old forums somebody found a somewhat sketchy sounding discogs seller who had MoFis for $20 and I grabbed a few Miles albums I had been wanting to check out. Ended up grabbing some gems for real cheap: Nefertiti, In A Silent Way and Miles in the Sky. I also somewhat recently finally got an older pressing of Live Evil.

Oh boy. Electric Miles has some gems. In the old forums somebody found a somewhat sketchy sounding discogs seller who had MoFis for $20 and I grabbed a few Miles albums I had been wanting to check out. Ended up grabbing some gems for real cheap: Nefertiti, In A Silent Way and Miles in the Sky. I also somewhat recently finally got an older pressing of Live Evil.
Nice! Live Evil is great, just got the cd. Also ordered the reissued box sets for On The Corner and Jack Johnson, still waiting for their arrival. The only Miles I have on vinyl is Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, and Agharta. I’ll expand it someday, hopefully with In a Silent Way and Jack Johnson as well. He’s just such a huge catalog, and the cds are so much cheaper.

Nice! Live Evil is great, just got the cd. Also ordered the reissued box sets for On The Corner and Jack Johnson, still waiting for their arrival. The only Miles I have on vinyl is Kind of Blue, Bitches Brew, and Agharta. I’ll expand it someday, hopefully with In a Silent Way and Jack Johnson as well. He’s just such a huge catalog, and the cds are so much cheaper.
Its so funny, I got into records originally in the 90's because CD's were more expensive and records were dirt cheap 🙃

Back