Neil Young

Friends, please recommend me your top 3 Neil albums.

I’ve been listening to Harvest Moon and really like it. I got turned off when I first heard Harvest; just didn’t click for me. I have no idea what the hell that means. Figure it out for me!

I’ve been listening to Harvest Moon and really like it. I got turned off when I first heard Harvest; just didn’t click for me. I have no idea what the hell that means. Figure it out for me!

Here's my Neil. And you want me to choose a measly 3? What kind of barbarian are you?

20201214_011137.jpg

What I consider some NY high points in no particular order...
  • Tonight's The Night
  • Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
  • Zuma
  • Ragged Glory
  • Comes A Time
  • On The Beach
  • Weld
  • Rust Never Sleeps / Live Rust
  • Le Noise
  • Time Fades Away
Getting into Neil is a helluva fun journey. I feel there's no artist out there more brave - he's willing to turn on a dime and do a complete 180 from record to record, and more times than not do it very well.

Have fun!

Here's my Neil. And you want me to choose a measly 3? What kind of barbarian are you?

View attachment 80306

What I consider some NY high points in no particular order...
  • Tonight's The Night
  • Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
  • Zuma
  • Ragged Glory
  • Comes A Time
  • On The Beach
  • Weld
  • Rust Never Sleeps / Live Rust
  • Le Noise
  • Time Fades Away
Getting into Neil is a helluva fun journey. I feel there's no artist out there more brave - he's willing to turn on a dime and do a complete 180 from record to record, and more times than not do it very well.

Have fun!
Dang, you barely have any! :)

I’m never going to own 200 Neil albums or have time to listen to that many!

Which of those do you need me to hear?

Decade or Live Rust would also be nice starting points where you sample different neil sounds and might see where you want to dig in deeper

As a brand spankin' newbie, take a listen to Decade. This is a 3 LP compilation covering the earlier solo years as well as Buffalo Springfield and provides a good overview.

Otherwise...
  • Tonight's The Night
  • Live Rust
  • Comes A Time
  • Ragged Glory
The thing with Neil - he's very deep, very complex. He'll follow up a country record with an electronic record and it'll seem the work of a madman, but when you understand the underlying mindset, things make complete sense.

Whatever records you choose to listen to, dig into the history and read about the context and where Neil's head was at when he recorded them. Makes listening that much better.

Also, the NY biography 'Shakey' makes a great reading companion as you work through his music.

Last edited:

Rust Never Sleeps and On the Beach are my faves. I could spend hours with Powderfinger on repeat alone. But that said there isn't much between these two and After the Goldrush, Tonight's the Night, Everybody Knows This is Nowhere, Harvest etc etc etc.

My top three might change from day to day. Fortunately, as @Yer Ol' Uncle D has already mentioned, Neil happens to have one of the best compilations of all time in Decade. You should be well enough informed in what you like and don’t like about Neil from that single entry point.

by the way, i think harvest moon is often underrated (especially in comparison . Unknown legend or from hank to hendrix were some of the first songs i really connected with by NY.

Decade, if you're brand new to Neil, is your next stop for sure (it's what hooked me).

Then try Rust Never Sleeps, After The Gold Rush, and Tonight's The Night.

Beyond that, if you're looking for a similar sounds to Harvest Moon, try Comes A Time or Silver & Gold.

Enjoy your journey through the past!

Decade, if you're brand new to Neil, is your next stop for sure (it's what hooked me).

Then try Rust Never Sleeps, After The Gold Rush, and Tonight's The Night.

Beyond that, if you're looking for a similar sounds to Harvest Moon, try Comes A Time or Silver & Gold.

Enjoy your journey through the past!
I mean Harvest is the closest to Harvest Moon so he created a pickle from the get go.

I hardly ever reach for Harvest Moon. The only song that really connects with me on that one is Natural Beauty, one of those songs you can just get lost in.

Top few Neil Albums for me:

• Mirrorball (Obviously)
  • Freedom
  • On The Beach
  • Rust Never Sleeps
  • Silver & Gold
So I suppose if you are looking for something like Harvest Moon, in Neil's words from Hippie Dream: "Take My Advice, Don't Listen to Me"

When I started listening to Neil, I started with Decade. It truly is the best representation of 70’s Neil Young. From there, you can decide where to go. I have this version, and it’s great.

As far as studio records go, it varies widely from person to person, and even the same person might have different choices from day to day. For me, my favorites vary between Rust Never Sleeps, Time Fades Away, Ragged Glory and On the Beach.

"Timeless Orpheum" up on the Archives is an excellent watch and an great exercise in how Neil has approached songs throughout the years. There's a minute where it transitions from 2019 Southern Man to a CSNY version that gave me chills.

Also - Come join us on the Monthly Challenge thread - January is Neil themed!

Just stumbled upon this guy's videos tonight. Dude sounds really great. I guess this guy and his wife have been recording these Neil covers throughout COVID and it just struck me as really sweet.

Also I'm like, that's a $4,000 guitar.

Back