Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

@agutierrezb , how do you feel about Manolo Sanlucar? In looking around for this thread, I noticed that some people seem to hold him up with Paco de Lucia as a flamenco master, but I noticed you didn't mention him in your primer.

Coincidentally, the Tauromagia that I ordered arrived with my Camaron order today and I am enjoying it.
He is definitely one of the best guitar players of the "post revolution" era (I just made that term up to signify the change that both Camarón and Paco de Lucía brought to the genre), but he is no Paco de Lucía. I would put him up there with Tomatito as the best flamenco guitar player to emerge after Paco de Lucía's huge impact on the artform.

He is definitely one of the best guitar players of the "post revolution" era (I just made that term up to signify the change that both Camarón and Paco de Lucía brought to the genre), but he is no Paco de Lucía. I would put him up there with Tomatito as the best flamenco guitar player to emerge after Paco de Lucía's huge impact on the artform.
Guess I better get some Paco de Lucia records then to round out my burgeoning Flamenco collection.

Don't feel bad about this! This is a great record - I think most people here are like me and would've likely never even come across this record without you introducing it.

Generally speaking, we're just music fans here without any ability to control stock - with pressing plant backlogs and such, record availability is always changing. I think there's always going to be this risk, and I hope it doesn't deter anyone from picking the record they really want to share with the group (as long as its reasonably attainable, of course).

If anything, it just goes to show how true this part of your write-up is:
I agree with everything said here. I just want to second that at the time of the pick, there were multiple retailers selling it, with no indications of limited stock. You didn’t select an album for which there were like 8 VG copies on Discogs and 12 on eBay. It just sold faster than anticipated and you had no control over that! I’m really glad you exposed me to a genre of music I knew nothing about. This was a lot of fun. Don’t feel bad!

(That I snagged the last copy from amazon Spain has nothing to do with this message 😜)
Thanks so much for this, it really makes me feel better about this whole situation. I have my fingers crossed hoping that Disc-Orders will come through and will be the place we can all buy our copies from.

BTW @D Jilla: @dhodo was the first to suggest La leyenda as the ROTM, as well as the one to crack the Poet's House clue, but you were the first one to make the official guess, and you cracked the Outkast/Porsche clue. I would like to (try to) buy a copy of the album for you if you haven't ordered one yet. DM me if you're interested. I would put an order on Disc-Orders with your shipping info, and pay for it once they have the album in their warehouse, so you would be the forum's guinea pig in regards to this retailer.

If anything, it just goes to show how true this part of your write-up is:
Fun fact about Camarón: The reason he played at Montreux is Quincy Jones discovered his music and was super impressed by it, which lead him to invite him and Tomatito to the festival. According to some reports, Jones planned on purchasing the distribution rights to Camarón's catalogue for the American continent, and intended to promote him in the US in an effort to turn him into an international sensation. Camarón passed away shortly after his Montreux performance, so Quincy didn't follow thru with a plan that could have changed the lack of knowledge of the genre I talked about in my write-up, and would possibly have avoided the scarcity of copies of this album we are currently facing.

Last edited:
So it looks like I pulled a VMP out: Feature a record you can't get until 1-2 months after the month it is the ROTM of. Once again, I'm terribly sorry about this 😥. I should have made the announcement earlier so that more of you could have secured a copy. I'll look across the web to see if I can find it elsewhere. Thanks a ton to those who have purchased it already, it really warms my heart ❤. To those who can't find a copy: thanks for being easy on me... I'm partialy to blame about this whole mess, and I definitely understand if some of you are mad.

Why would we be mad. You did nothing wrong, you picked an album you love, that’s interesting and that’s giving most of us something not only new but that likely we wouldn’t have investigated. Everything you did was in good faith and when you picked it there were copies available. I mean it’s not like you promised to sell it to us, took our money and then delayed it, you’d have to be a proper shit to do that 😂

The thing that's fun about these clues is that they seem obvious in retrospect and yet at the time...I mean, they included:

(1) scrambled puzzle of a castle
(2) a list of football (or soccer, if you're American) results
(3) an OutKast video and a scrambled picture of a white car
(4) coordinates
(5) a Keanu Reeves gif

They were anything but obvious!!

I don't know that it woulda been solved without the death clue

To be fair, @dhodo, @supahypeag, @duke86fan and @D Jilla all impressed me with their abilities. It was great reading your guesses, and I was constantly blown away by the commitment of this community to the guessing game.
thanks... i try my best

watch out @ThePakoBuelna

we're coming

and to quote the great tim buckley

9aocofooyna01.png

Back