Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

I can't believe they won't repress the records. They reissued all his discography, there are even two box sets with 10 records each. They probably pressed a first colored run and will repress a second one depending on which records sold more.
i still am scared about buying from disc-orders because who knows what dangerous thing will be sent to me (a disease or something, this place seems sketchy and i feel like i need to cancel it.. but i dont want the person to feel very bad)

i feel like i put myself in danger by ordering from disc-orders but i dont wanna make people sad by not buying the ROTM (tbh the :( emojis i been getting have made me feel a little guilty if i dont buy it). but i dunno if disco100 are even going to sell the thing anymore.. its just stressful
Hey, don't feel bad. Those sad emojis weren't directed at you, but at this crappy situation we're all in. If you don't feel ok ordering from Disc Orders, then don't :) Stream the album and buy one of the swaptions if you feel like it.

i still am scared about buying from disc-orders because who knows what dangerous thing will be sent to me (a disease or something, this place seems sketchy and i feel like i need to cancel it.. but i dont want the person to feel very bad)
I won't feel bad at all. Go ahead and cancel :) Hopefully we'll find a different seller soon, and if not, then so be it, its not such a big deal.

What is it about disc-order that makes you think it is sketchy? Just that they don't keep all of their items in stock? Just seems like a cost savings measure to minimize overhead. Everything else about it seems like a normal store to me.

What is it about disc-order that makes you think it is sketchy? Just that they don't keep all of their items in stock? Just seems like a cost savings measure to minimize overhead. Everything else about it seems like a normal store to me.
the fact that they have my address before my credit card and can easily give me something dangerous i dont want

also the fact that the site has no sources that can tell me this was safe... i looked it up on google and reddit said they have rarely tried it and a similar one was very bad

Last edited:
First of all, let me tell you I'm terribly sorry for picking a record that is so hard to find. I had been waiting for a quality reissue of this album for years, so when I found out that it was being reissued along with the majority of Camarón’s discography, I didn’t think twice to choose La leyenda del tiempo as the October ROTM. I initially ordered my copy from Amazon a month ago, but it has since sold out on most sites, a fact I didn't expect when I first picked this record. I have contacted Disco 100 to ask if they will be getting more copies, telling them this club would buy 20-30 copies from them if they are able to secure them for us.

If you’re not willing to pay above average price for a record in a genre you’re not familiar with, or if you’re hesitant about going through the hassle of ordering it from another continent, I understand that, but please give this album a listen even if you’re not buying it. This album deserves, if not your money, at least your attention. If you want to buy a record adjacent to this one, just with higher availability, here are a couple of very good albums for further listening:

Camarón de la Isla - Potro de rabia y miel (Amazon US)

Paco de Lucía - Fuente y caudal (Amazon US)

Rosalía - El mal querer

______________________________________________________________________________________

Additionaly, here are some resources for those who would like to get a deeper understanding of the album, the artist and the genre.

Lyrics translation (Web version)
The beautiful lyrics on this record are one of its many strong points, so I felt like a translated lyrics sheet would help you all deepen your enjoyment of the album. My girlfriend and I worked on this booklet with illustrations for every song and side to side lyrics in Spanish and English. We are neither illustrators nor translators, but we're both happy with the output, and we hope you will enjoy it.

A flamenco primer
I suggest reading at least the introduction, since it will help you understand the history of the genre and some of its basic elements.

Netflix documentary on Camarón

Camarón obituary

I am ordering Potro de rabia y miel & Fuente y caudal. I hope you won't run another AotM in the next two years, you're too dangerous!

the fact that they have my address before my credit card and can easily give me something dangerous i dont want
International post is generally inspected more thoroughly than US post and your address is probably your least private "private" information as people can find it very easily. If you don't feel comfortable though, it is perfectly understandable not to do business with them. I guess I just don't understand what makes you trust then less than other online retailers. It is still to be seen whether they can get the album or not.

So it looks like I pulled a VMP out: Feature a record you can't get until 1-2 months after the month it is the ROTM of. Once again, I'm terribly sorry about this 😥. I should have made the announcement earlier so that more of you could have secured a copy. I'll look across the web to see if I can find it elsewhere. Thanks a ton to those who have purchased it already, it really warms my heart ❤. To those who can't find a copy: thanks for being easy on me... I'm partialy to blame about this whole mess, and I definitely understand if some of you are mad.

So it looks like I pulled a VMP out: Feature a record you can't get until 1-2 months after the month it is the ROTM of. Once again, I'm terribly sorry about this 😥. I should have made the announcement earlier so that more of you could have secured a copy. I'll look across the web to see if I can find it elsewhere. Thanks a ton to those who have purchased it already, it really warms my heart ❤. To those who can't find a copy: thanks for being easy on me... I'm partialy to blame about this whole mess, and I definitely understand if some of you are mad.
its perfectly fine actually it taking 2 months to come is actually even better for me... i can buy more stuff

I am ordering Potro de rabia y miel & Fuente y caudal. I hope you won't run another AotM in the next two years, you're too dangerous!
Potro de Rabia y Miel is very good too. It was his last album, and he recorded it while fighting lung cancer. The pressing I own includes a write up by someone involved in the recording, who details how Camarón struggledwith his voice during the process, but somehow managed to nail perfect takes whenever everyone was about to give up. It is somewhat a bittersweet record, but I just love the fact that he would leave us with one of his strongest albums before passing.

@agutierrezb , how do you feel about Manolo Sanlucar? In looking around for this thread, I noticed that some people seem to hold him up with Paco de Lucia as a flamenco master, but I noticed you didn't mention him in your primer.

Coincidentally, the Tauromagia that I ordered arrived with my Camaron order today and I am enjoying it.

Last edited:

Don't feel bad about this! This is a great record - I think most people here are like me and would've likely never even come across this record without you introducing it.

Generally speaking, we're just music fans here without any ability to control stock - with pressing plant backlogs and such, record availability is always changing. I think there's always going to be this risk, and I hope it doesn't deter anyone from picking the record they really want to share with the group (as long as its reasonably attainable, of course).

If anything, it just goes to show how true this part of your write-up is:

In spite of the huge number of copies of Sketches of Spain and Olé Coltrane sold across the world, flamenco remains largely an unexplored genre for most people who weren't born into its tradition. Lack of diffusion and curation by trusted media and tastemakers has limited the representation of flamenco among the “World Music” circles, whereas music from Brazil, Nigeria, Japan and Ethiopia, among others, are all subject of international interest and success.

Don't feel bad about this! This is a great record - I think most people here are like me and would've likely never even come across this record without you introducing it.

Generally speaking, we're just music fans here without any ability to control stock - with pressing plant backlogs and such, record availability is always changing. I think there's always going to be this risk, and I hope it doesn't deter anyone from picking the record they really want to share with the group (as long as its reasonably attainable, of course).

If anything, it just goes to show how true this part of your write-up is:
I agree with everything said here. I just want to second that at the time of the pick, there were multiple retailers selling it, with no indications of limited stock. You didn’t select an album for which there were like 8 VG copies on Discogs and 12 on eBay. It just sold faster than anticipated and you had no control over that! I’m really glad you exposed me to a genre of music I knew nothing about. This was a lot of fun. Don’t feel bad!

(That I snagged the last copy from amazon Spain has nothing to do with this message 😜)

Back