Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

The movie about her is pretty good! It’s got Jennifer Lopez and Edward James Olmos in it!

Funny story regarding Olmos.. My wife was working in Montebello High School. On her first day she was walking into the school and said to herself, "This is the type of school Olmos would be in." Then she realized that he attended the school when she passed by a statue of him.

Last edited:
Ok, first of all. Im really really sorry for chosing such a hard to find album. When I first decided to go with this as my pick, it was available at 4-5 online retailers, but has since gone OOS on most of them.

I found this retailer today, but their system is kind of weird. It looks like you place your order on the record without actually paying for it, then they let you know once the item is on their warehouse so you can enter your payment info so they can charge you and ship it to you.

I also contacted Disco 100 (where some of you purchased the record already) to ask if they will be selling more copies soon.

I will keep you posted on availability, and please let me know if you find it elsewhere. Again, I'm terribly sorry about this issue, but I had no idea it would happen when I first picked this as my ROTM.

First of all, let me tell you I'm terribly sorry for picking a record that is so hard to find. I had been waiting for a quality reissue of this album for years, so when I found out that it was being reissued along with the majority of Camarón’s discography, I didn’t think twice to choose La leyenda del tiempo as the October ROTM. I initially ordered my copy from Amazon a month ago, but it has since sold out on most sites, a fact I didn't expect when I first picked this record. I have contacted Disco 100 to ask if they will be getting more copies, telling them this club would buy 20-30 copies from them if they are able to secure them for us.

If you’re not willing to pay above average price for a record in a genre you’re not familiar with, or if you’re hesitant about going through the hassle of ordering it from another continent, I understand that, but please give this album a listen even if you’re not buying it. This album deserves, if not your money, at least your attention. If you want to buy a record adjacent to this one, just with higher availability, here are a couple of very good albums for further listening:

Camarón de la isla - Potro de rabia y miel

Paco de Lucía - Fuente y caudal

Rosalía - El mal querer

______________________________________________________________________________________

Additionaly, here are some resources for those who would like to get a deeper understanding of the album, the artist and the genre.

Lyrics translation (Web version)
The beautiful lyrics on this record are one of its many strong points, so I felt like a translated lyrics sheet would help you all deepen your enjoyment of the album. My girlfriend and I worked on this booklet with illustrations for every song and side to side lyrics in Spanish and English. We are neither illustrators nor translators, but we're both happy with the output, and we hope you will enjoy it.

A flamenco primer

Netflix documentary on Camarón

Camarón obituary

At least the horse at the end of the booklet isn't getting violated!!!

Love the drawings BTW!

Ok, first of all. Im really really sorry for chosing such a hard to find album. When I first decided to go with this as my pick, it was available at 4-5 online retailers, but has since gone OOS on most of them.

I found this retailer today, but their system is kind of weird. It looks like you place your order on the record without actually paying for it, then they let you know once the item is on their warehouse so you can enter your payment info so they can charge you and ship it to you.

I also contacted Disco 100 (where some of you purchased the record already) to ask if they will be selling more copies soon.

I will keep you posted on availability, and please let me know if you find it elsewhere. Again, I'm terribly sorry about this issue, but I had no idea it would happen when I first picked this as my ROTM.
Totem Vertigo had some in stock last time I checked, but it doesn't seem to be showing up any more.

So we figured it out

But we didn't know how it fit the clues
1. Camarón and Tomatito played at Montreux in 1991
2. We haden't had a flamenco record before
3. The team is PSV, founded py Philips and plays at Philips Stadion. The album waas released on the Philips label.
4. The album was released in 1979, our oldest ROTM yet
5. I guess flamenco is World Music
6. Poet House in New York: One of Federico García Lorca's most famous books is "Poet in New York". More than half of the lyrics in this album are adaptations of his poems.
7. Camarón died in 1992
8. Federico García Lorca on Discogs
9. Camarón was born on San Fernando, Cádiz. References of the sea are all over his ouvre, and this album in particular is proof of it.
10. 2:30 on this video
11. Tomatito, who played guitar on this album, appeared on "The Devil's Advocate" and contributed to the Soundtrack too.

Additionaly, here are some resources for those who would like to get a deeper understanding of the album, the artist and the genre.

Lyrics translation (Web version)
The beautiful lyrics on this record are one of its many strong points, so I felt like a translated lyrics sheet would help you all deepen your enjoyment of the album. My girlfriend and I worked on this booklet with illustrations for every song and side to side lyrics in Spanish and English. We are neither illustrators nor translators, but we're both happy with the output, and we hope you will enjoy it.

A flamenco primer
That lyrics booklet is amazing! If I may ask, how did you get to write for VMP? Did you work for them or did you just contribute an article for them?

That lyrics booklet is amazing! If I may ask, how did you get to write for VMP? Did you work for them or did you just contribute an article for them?
VMP publishes articles by freelance writers. I'm not a profesional writer, but I pitched them this and a couple of other ideas, and ended up writing 3 articles for them.

Back