Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

Are you trying to get a hint out of me now? For shame... FOR SHAME!

(yes, yes I have a pick. It's an album and you'll love it)

rf0zvejeq9231.jpg

(Shame on me, I really don't know much of shameful Mexican music. Or pop Mexican music)

After my parents got divorced, my dad would pick up my brother and me once a month and take us to the movies. I remember the time he took us to see Selena, starring Jennifer Lopez. We were the only white folks in that theater. My dad was a redneck, we didn't know anything about music, and none of us had any idea who Selena was. We loved the movie and walked out of there crying after it was over. I've been a fan of Selena ever since.

I guess I must've heard it somewhere, because the chorus sounds familiar. But I'm not really sure.
And tbh in the middle of the 90s all the Mexican music we had in Argentina was Thalia. And Fey. I think Fey is Mexican. Maybe not.
Yep, Fey is Mexican. Did you hear any Mexican rock in Argentina back in the 90s? Like Caifanes or Café Tacvba? Argentinian bands were super popular here in Mexico back then, and I guess they still are.

Yep, Fey is Mexican. Did you hear any Mexican rock in Argentina back in the 90s? Like Caifanes or Café Tacvba? Argentinian bands were super popular here in Mexico back then, and I guess they still are.

Café Tacvba were huge in the 90s, not so much with Re but with Avalancha De Éxitos. It was impossible to escape from "Cómo te extraño mi amor", that song was EVERYWHERE.
Caifanes had a small hit with "Afuera", and that's it.
Molotov are big still today.
I don't know if anybody here remembers La Lupita's "Ja ja ja".
Julieta Venegas was also huge, mainly in the Unplugged era.

And, unfortunately, Maná.
This fucking country loves Maná.

Back