Needles & Grooves AotM///Vol. 32 February 2022/// The Faint - Wet From Birth

My thoughts are not too far from yours, except I am not high. Lol. I think my friends might like this, too.

"There's violins in this shit?"
"What the hell is making that sound? Is that a guitar or a synth"
"What the fuck is he singing about here? An erection?"
"Holy shit, how do I replicate that bass fuzz?"
"This is a great dance party album"
"I'm so high right now, and this music is perfect"
"If I tell my friends about this band, are they going to think I am crazy or love it?"

I really like the energy and electronic funk. This would be a great live show.

Oh man, I hope the border doesn't hold mine up too long, I've been trying to hold out to listen until it arrives. This is making it much harder to do so!

Which is a good thing.

Day 19 of ALBUMS THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT, BUT YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO has been posted above.

Glad to see people are starting to receive their record! I am working on the Q&A for mid-February, so I am hoping you've listened to and digested the album by then!
Yoko is such a great album. One of the ones that we'd a vinyl (re)press urgently

Yoko is such a great album. One of the ones that we'd a vinyl (re)press urgently
I actually asked the singer about this and he replied:

Sadly, no plans to press or repress. I like the idea that someone will find the last copy in 50 years, unmelted in an attic. Apologies and thanks for the email, Miles

We can still dream, though.

Day 21 of ALBUMS THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT, BUT YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO has been posted above.

10 days left!

Glad to see people are starting to receive their Faint record! I am working on the Q&A for mid-February, so I am hoping you've listened to and digested the album by then!

Just a side note - since this isn't AotM until Feb, I am mostly posting my "31 other albums" and having light dialogue about the album.

But - come February, I'd love to chat about reactions to this album, what you liked / didn't like, and also point you towards the Q&A thread!

Last edited:
ALBUMS THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT, BUT YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO: (continued, again)

23) Cigarettes After Sex - Cigarettes After Sex (2017)

Why it could have been ROTM: Do you have "nighttime/evening/sleep albums"? That is, albums you only listen to at night when you're winding down? I do. The millisecond I heard this album, I fell in love with it. It has relaxed me and rocked me to sleep more times than I can count. Their sound is always consistent, and they don't stray away too far from what they do best. Sometimes, I need an album to set a mood - and this one definitely does! For fans of The xx and Beach House.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: John Wayne

24) Ambulance LTD - LP (2004)

Why it could have been ROTM: One of my favorite albums of all time. It is lyrically smart, musically sharp, and cohesive as a whole. It's a shame these guys didn't release more than one album. However, a walk-off home run ain't so bad. I highly suggest you listen to this album with your morning coffee, or your evening coffee.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Heavy Lifting

25) Curtis Mayfield - Curtis / Live! (1971)

Why it could have been ROTM: One of the greatest concert albums ever cut on a soul artist, and one of the legendary live albums of all time. This recording genuinely gives you the feeling you were there (vinyl sounds great!). Curtis' voice never disappoints, and the crowd interactions definitely make this one memorable. Truly one of my favorite, if not favorite, live recordings.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Mighty Mighty (Spade and Whitey)

26) Busdriver - Temporary Forever (2002)

Why it could have been ROTM: Temporary Forever introduces one of the most imaginative talents to ever grace the rap world. If you're sampling Classical music and rapping over it, it's getting my attention. His adenoidal flow, a breathless bundle of consonants and exclamation points, will challenge anyone looking to tune the MC out. If you like Busta Rhymes, you'll love Busdriver. Listen to the song below. Possibly my most listened to rap song of all time.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Imaginary Places

27) Miniature Tigers - Tell It To The Volcano (2008)

Why it could have been ROTM: More indie pop/rock! This band is fun. I love Charlie Brand's (singer) lyrics and voice. Mini Tigers have become somewhat of a comfort food band for me. A lot of their tracks made the first playlist (on a CD!) that I made for my wife. Sealed the deal. Check them out!

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Hot Venom

28) of Montreal - Skeletal Lamping (2008)

Why it could have been ROTM: Kevin Barnes (singer/band leader) said about the title: "This record is my attempt to bring all of my puzzling, contradicting, disturbing, humorous... fantasies, ruminations and observations to the surface, so that I can better dissect and understand their reason for being in my head. Barnes described his concept for the follow-up to Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer? as an album composed of hundreds of consecutive short segments ranging from thirty to fifty seconds in length, with the intention that it "feel like one long piece with hundreds of movements." A true rollercoaster of an album for those as ADD as me - brought to you by another Elephant 6 band.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: An Eluardian Instance

29) Slightly Stoopid - Live & Direct: Acoustic Roots (2004)

Why it could have been ROTM: I had a tough time picking between this album and other albums of theirs - but this one edged out. Two guitars and two voices. Thas' it! I love all of these songs, rhythms, and the blend of voices. Two extremely talented guys who carried the torch in a post-SUBLIME reggae/rock world. I could have picked 31 reggae artists for these - but - had to spread the love. The last reggae-ish submission is this one. Check em' out! Recorded in one live take.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Fire Shot

30) The Faint - Blank-Wave Arcade (1999)

Why it could have been ROTM: And we've come full circle! The Faint's second proper album is where they introduced their new dance-punk-electro style sound. Although slightly more raw and unproduced than their work that would come after, some of my absolute favorite Faint songs are on this record. If you're doing a dive into the band after you listen to your AotM, I'd recommend this one next!

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Sex Is Personal

31) The Faint - Danse Macabre (2001)

Why it could have been ROTM: Last but not least - more Faint! This album is often regarded as their best by fans and critics. Building on the sound they started with their previous album (above), The Faint refine their electro-dance style and grow lyrically. Some true goth-dance party bangers on this one!

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Agenda Suicide

Last edited:
Back