Needles & Grooves AotM///Vol. 32 February 2022/// The Faint - Wet From Birth

scotthilk

Hey, y'all! It's announcement day! This announcement comes a few days earlier than originally anticipated because I've never been able to keep a good secret (see: all the hints!).

I am extremely excited to announce that the February 2022 Album of the Month is:

The Faint - Wet From Birth (2004)

61Dvg6F33oL.jpg

Congrats to @Jan for guessing the correct album first! A free copy of this album has your name on it. More on that later...

I suppose now's the time I am supposed to explain why I picked this record. I'll give it a shot - here we go!

I first heard this album in 2004 when I was a junior in High School. I'm not entirely sure how I discovered the band, but I am guessing I found them on what.cd (if you know, you know). High school was a transitional time for my musical tastes. I grew up with a non-musical family (my grandma played ukulele!). My parents listened to The B-52's, Jimmy Buffett, The Doors and Jim Croce. I was not overly exposed to music growing up aside from what was playing in my parent's car, or what was in the 6-CD changer in our house in Mexico. Usually, it was a soundtrack of some sort. Anyways! In 2000, I got into punk rock (NOFX, Rancid, Warped Tour bands). In 2001, I got into Weezer. In 2002, I started smoking weed and got into Sublime/Bob Marley/Pink Floyd/Beatles. This is when I picked up the bass guitar which has been my first love ever since. This would eventually lead me to a career in music, a degree in it, and change my life forever. From 2003 on, I was playing in bands and my musical horizon was ever expanding. There was a whole new world of music to be discovered, and I LOVED IT. Around this time, I really started getting into bands like The Strokes, Hot Hot Heat, The White Stripes, Arcade Fire, Muse, Franz Ferdinand, RHCP, etc. The pulsating and driving drum beats mixed with difference forms of dance styles spoke to me.

Enter The Faint.

I'm pretty sure the first Faint album I listened to was Blank Wave Arcade and Danse Macabre. My memories from then are good, but jumbled. I remember listening to "Casual Sex" thinking the synthesizer sequence 3/4 way through was the greatest thing I'd ever heard. I remember my friend Travis taking ecstasy on prom night, and it kicked in during the octave-synth-pulse of "Glass Danse". The music was fun, upbeat, unique - and unlike other styles I had listened to. There were dark overtones. There were sexual overtones. It was an interesting singing style. The lyrics were.. weird. But, I felt the music. I was the world’s biggest stoner in high school, and I liked nothing more than getting blitzed and throwing these albums on 10.

I also can't remember the first time I heard Wet From Birth, but I assume it was around the release date. The album floored me.

"There's violins in this shit?"
"What the hell is making that sound? Is that a guitar or a synth"
"What the fuck is he singing about here? An erection?"
"Holy shit, how do I replicate that bass fuzz?"
"This is a great dance party album"
"I'm so high right now, and this music is perfect"
"If I tell my friends about this band, are they going to think I am crazy or love it?"

This album pushes all of the right musical buttons for me. I feel like I am doing it a disservice by trying to articulate in words why I love it. I imagine everyone has albums they love JUST BECAUSE. Ever listen to an album and feel like it's made for you? I've felt like that for awhile with this one.

I no longer smoke weed (or do anything, 13+ years) but this album still transforms me into a euphoric place when I listen to it. I feel like I'm in a dark nightclub (pre-COVID, of course) where everyone is just feeling it. No worries in the world. Dancing their fucking asses off. Dancing with each other. Sweating. Making out. Whatever. The band is on stage, just rockin' out and vibing off the crowd. I'm at this concert when I listen to Wet From Birth.

If you've made it this far, you're probably/hopefully intrigued by the album. I'd like you to listen to it. Here's my suggestions for how to listen to it.

1) You should listen to this album when you're in an energetic mood. If you're about to go to sleep, I'd pass on it and revisit.
2) You should play this loud. Volume doesn't have to be 11, but it should be 9+.
3) If you indulge, you should listen to this album super stoned. I'm not advocating, necessarily, but it's how I first heard it. If you don't, no worries!
4) Try to listen to this with the lights down low, or in a more ambient atmosphere. Try to join me in the club I described above.

Thank you, @Needles & Grooves for giving me the opportunity to share this album with you. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Now - some extra fun and exciting stuff.

Todd Fink, lead singer of The Faint, has graciously agreed to do a Q&A with Needles & Grooves. I do not know exactly what this will look like yet, but I am working on details. I am unsure if it will be typed, recorded, or via ZOOM. I am very excited for this, and super grateful to him for being interested in doing this. There will be a separate thread regarding this sometime in the coming days/week.

Update: The Q&A thread has been started here.

Saddle Creek Records has created a special coupon code for N&G members to purchase this album on their website for 20% off. Just type in "NEEDLES" at checkout, and voila!

As always, I'm sure I forgot a million things and thus this is perhaps a starting point for the announcement and fun to come. Thank you for reading.. now go rock out to this!

xoxo,
Scott

----------- [Original Post Below] ----------- from Dec 31, 2021

Hello, Needles & Grooves family!

Welcome to the February 2022 Album of the Month thread. I’ll be your host for the month. I hope you’ll stay with me, humor me, and have some fun with me. I've been waiting to run this for awhile, as I passed on my opportunity a few years ago and have regretted it ever since!

Here are my goals for this thread:
  1. Keep the thread organized and updated daily
  2. Introduce you to 31 of my favorite albums that didn’t make the cut, for one reason or another. View a song from each album in THIS PLAYLIST.
  3. Keep you guessing until the album is revealed
  4. Pick and announce a bad ass AotM!
New hints will be posted as a new post and also updated on the “Hints” post. Guesses will be added to the “Guesses” post. Each day, an album that did not make the cut will be added to the “Albums That Didn’t Make The Cut” page for your aural pleasure. If you want to get inside my musical brain, what better time than now! For those that have extra time for an album a day, it would warm my heart for you to listen to my favorite albums.

The first person who guesses the album correctly will win a free copy of the album!

I've spent two months thinking about this, so I hope you have as much fun as I do. If you don't, well, at least I get to be in the spotlight for a month!

I probably forgot something, but fuck it! We’ll party as we go!

-Scott

Last edited:
HINTS:

1) 5C460CAB-8A83-4960-BC5C-1E105385D34C.png

2) F30E7E96-92DF-4371-B012-2DCD4E2CC50F.jpeg

2a) Hint #2 is not associated with a year
2b) Hint #2 is location related
2c) As of post #106, you're warm.

3) A "lead member" of this "group" has graciously agreed to do a Q&A with Needles & Grooves members.

4) The record label that released this album will have a 20% off coupon code available exclusively for N&G members to purchase this album. The code is NEEDLES and it will be activated within a few days from this post.

5) CE5B0A5C-70BD-4A8D-95EB-8E66C5BF1CF9.jpeg

6) 4.png

6a) @mgp found all of the words I added. Nice work! Are there other hints in plain sight here?

7) 1613CC76-6AD9-44ED-8F65-56AE3ABD66EC.jpeg

8) Finding an "Album That Didn't Make The Cut" starting with "L" was significantly harder than finding one that started with "D".

9) Where the hell is @DevonJD at?!

10) red_herring_hint.png

Final clue: BEA74B9B-E85F-40C9-8475-20A8F831D7E9.jpeg

Last edited:
GUESSES:

• The Faint - Wet From Birth (@Jan )

ELIMINATED GUESSES:

Last edited:
ALBUMS THAT DIDN'T MAKE THE CUT, BUT YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO:

1) Albert Hammond Jr. - Yours To Keep (2006)

Why it could have been AotM The debut solo album by AHJr. (The Strokes' guitarist/backing vocalist) takes the familiar styles I love from The Strokes' first few albums and regurgitates them in AHJr.'s own toned-down style and voice. The Strokes are undoubtedly one of my favorite bands. Sean Lennon hangs out on this album for a few tracks.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Bright Young Thing

2) Steel Pulse - Earth Crisis (1984)

Why it could have been AotM: Roots-reggae-gone-wild. Steel Pulse (England) took Bob Marley’s songs of freedom and added another dimension by adding horns, synthesizers, and modern social commentary. The silky smooth delivery of verses and catchy choruses (and fat basslines) are worthy of further refection as we confront today’s challenges. One of my go-to reggae albums.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Roller Skates

3) Apples In Stereo - New Magnetic Wonder (2007)

Why it could have been AotM: The leaders (and co-founders) of the Elephant Six collective made one of my all-time favorited albums (ok, top 15 at least). Inspired by the likes of ELO, Queen, The Beach Boys and psych pop, this album hits all the right spots. Apples' science infatuation and retro-fetishism translates to prodigious amounts of studio experimentation, and New Magnetic Wonder certainly aims to have the best of both worlds. The Elephant Six Collective is without question one of my favorite collectives of like-minded musicians, and Apples represents that sound in its truest form.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Same Old Drag

4) Death From Above 1979 - The Physical World (2014)

Why it could have been AotM: DFA1979 introduced me to a musical genre I fell in love with, and this album perfected it. Pop hooks over fuzzy bass, driving dance beats, and creative storytelling. I traveled to ATX to see these guys at Fun, Fun, Fun Fest when they reunited and it was one of my favorite shows ever. I'm guessing I have exercised to this album more than any other album, and I highly suggest it. High energy all around!

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Crystal Ball

5) Dispatch - Bang Bang (1997)

Why it could have been AotM: This album feels like a "Best Of" compilation to me, as it consists of all my favorite Dispatch songs. My duo covers basically this entire album - a collection of indie-roots-pop-rock songs that pull my summertime heart strings. Light hearted and fun. Looking for an easy listen? Look no further.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Railway

6) L'Orange - The Ordinary Man (2017)

Why it could have been AotM: Known for his early 20th century inspired style and stripped down jazz influence, L'Orange is one of my favorite new beatmasters. This album is mostly instrumental, but there are vocal features from underground legends like Del The Funky Homosapien. Although dark in tone, the album is reliably playful and absurd, taking a shadowy story and combining it with polished production and funky ass beats. For fans of Madlib, RJD2, Deltron 3030, DJ Shadow, Guru and other like-minded producers.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Blame the Author

(This thread just capped me at 5 pieces of embedded media, so please click the links to take you to the album on Spotify from here on out)

7) NOFX - The Decline (1999)

Why it could have been AotM: NOFX's 18+ minute punk rock masterpiece was the album (EP, technically) that turned me on to music, and inspired me to play bass. Before this album, I listened to the Ace Ventura 2 soundtrack on cassette and too much Jimmy Buffett (still do) in my Dad's car. One of my all-time favorites right here, and always socially relevant.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: The Decline (hah!)

8) Electric Light Orchestra - Time (1981)

Why it could have been AotM: This album was very close to being my pick. I am a big fan of concept albums, and this one tells a story about a man from the 1980s who is taken to the year 2095, where he is confronted by the dichotomy between technological advancement and a longing for past romance. I was a fan of ELO long before I discovered this album, and once I found it, I haven't stopped listening regularly since.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Yours Truly, 2095

9) Rebelution - Bright Side Of Life (2009)

Why it could have been ROTM: I've probably listened to Rebelution more than any other band in the last 5 years. They are my quinnessential road trip / vacation / beach / hang out band. If you like the Sublime sound, this is in that same ballpark - plus horns and keys. This is the band's second album, which incorporates more rock influence than their later, more polished/produced work. The band doesn't deviate much from their signature style throughout records, but they are consistent and dedicated to their reggae-rock sound. Eric Rachmany [singer] has a special way of delivering his lyrics, and I hope you give them a shot!

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: Outta Control

10) Scarface - The Diary (1994)

Why it could have been ROTM: Finally, some rap! This one hits hard. Scarface's flow on this album is rivaled by few, and the accompanying beats don't lie. "By 1994, Scarface was in a position to capitalize off of his momentum while also asking his existing audience to grow with him. His work with the Geto Boys was often steeped in a dark vulnerability. Scarface battled with depression his whole life, even attempting suicide in his youth. While his first two solo efforts had glimpses of this, both albums felt more like a collection of the best songs he could make at the time, without any thought of single narrative structure. The Diary set out to be different. First, the sonic landscape changed. Though The Diary was only made a year out from his last album, the sound of rap was shifting rapidly in the early ’90s. Sample laws had come into play, cracking down on the uses of other people’s music in rap songs, and forcing producers to figure out new tactics after skating on lax rules through the late ’80s and the first two years of the ’90s. Additionally, Dr. Dre and Death Row Records had cemented their sound with the releases of The Chronic and Doggystyle, introducing a more laid back instrumentation, crafted with live, in-studio musicians re-creating sounds that might have otherwise been lifted from soul and funk samples, like James Brown or Motown records. The first two Scarface albums were frantic, sample-heavy, and brilliant, but a shift in tone was needed. At only 24, Scarface was building towards the rapper he wanted to be for an entire career. His anger, paranoia, and obsession with unraveling a life lost is a common thread throughout his work, but on The Diary, he made the themes palpable and heavy" (I got this from Pitchfork, who gave the record a 9.3). This album is one of the few to receive a perfect rating from both The Source Magazine and XXL.

Listen to this song, and if you love it - stream the album. If you hate it, skip the album and move on: No Tears

I hit a character limit. Continue the list here.

Last edited:
i have been planning on listening to that for a while

I'm actually just finishing my first ever listen to it. I posted it as a joke in response to @sarcasticfairyprincess since it's often called one of the bleakest albums ever made. That may be true, but it's also fantastic. Now I want a copy!

I'm actually just finishing my first ever listen to it. I posted it as a joke in response to @sarcasticfairyprincess since it's often called one of the bleakest albums ever made. That may be true, but it's also fantastic. Now I want a copy!
As a collection of sounds, it really is fantastic, especially the second track. I never really pay attention to lyrics, though, so I’m guessing that’s where the bleakness comes in.

Yeah it’s really the Manics big artistic statement. It’s bleak but I always find bits of hope and humour popping out of it. Probably from the portions that Nicky wrote because Richey was in a really dark place at that time.

If you like this you should check out Journal For Plague Lovers too. In 2009, 14/15 years after he disappeared, they finally felt ready to go back and revisit the lyrics Richey left behind. That’s another brilliant album.

Last edited:

release year ?

Monkey YearStartEndElement
1920Feb.20,1920Feb.7,1921Metal
1932Feb.6,1932Jan.25,1933Water
1944Jan.25,1944Feb.12,1945Wood
1956Feb.12,1956Jan.30,1957Fire
1968Jan.30,1968Feb.16,1969Earth
1980Feb.16,1980Feb.4,1981Metal
1992Feb.4,1992Jan.22,1993Water
2004Jan.22,2004Feb.8,2005Wood
2016Feb.8,2016Jan.27,2017Fire