Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 3 - September 2019 /// Nicole Atkins - Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

still not interested in the country so might skip this
Calling Nicole Atkins “country” is prob a stretch though.
Some of it is country and some of it has a very fifties feel to me.
Also, remember, I am SUPER excited about this. So, whatever it ends up being, I hope you read my eventual write up and give it an attentive listen before you make up your mind about it. I know not everyone will like it. Just, try.
THIS. I listened to the Atkins album today on Spotify and the country parts were enjoyable while the 'fifties' parts didn't grab me. I'll wait for the writeup, though, because context matters and will motivate me to listen with fresh ears. In college I was the one non-art student taking a Philosophy of Art and Beauty class, and I wrote a paper on how there's just a lot of art whose value is questionable unless you know the history behind it (context).

Listening to Nicole Atkins right now and I like it :)

1. Female Artist >>> Check with no doubt
2. (Unofficial hint) NOT one of Teeee's top 5 pop albums of the decade:
3. Post November 1964 (Ronettes album) >>> Check with no doubt
4. Artist born in USA >>> Check with no doubt
5. Artist has never performed with Beyoncé >>> Check with no doubt
6. Artist's 4th album >>> Check with no doubt
7. Genre is pop-rock/pop-singer/songwriter, not just "straight up singer songwriter". Not a choreographer. Not stereotypical pop. >>> Check with no doubt
8. Artist did not perform at Lilith Fair >>> Check with no doubt
9. @gouis (who doesn't like pop much) would/might/does like the album
10. Album is from this decade (2010-now) >>> Check with no doubt
source-gif.13420

>>> There is a song called A Night of Serious Drinking in the album.

12. The artist is still alive. >>> Check with no doubt
13. EPs don't count as albums in Teeeee's counting of albums.
14. JqBX got a clue but probably doesn't know it. >>> Check with no doubt (she also released a lot of covers according to her wiki page)
giphy-1-gif.13528

>>> There is a song called Sleepwalking in the album.
16. Artist has performed at Newport Folk Festival>>> Check with no doubt, she played there in 2017

brillbldg-1-jpg.13825

>>> Check with no doubt

Listening to Nicole Atkins right now and I like it :)

1. Female Artist >>> Check with no doubt
2. (Unofficial hint) NOT one of Teeee's top 5 pop albums of the decade:
3. Post November 1964 (Ronettes album) >>> Check with no doubt
4. Artist born in USA >>> Check with no doubt
5. Artist has never performed with Beyoncé >>> Check with no doubt
6. Artist's 4th album >>> Check with no doubt
7. Genre is pop-rock/pop-singer/songwriter, not just "straight up singer songwriter". Not a choreographer. Not stereotypical pop. >>> Check with no doubt
8. Artist did not perform at Lilith Fair >>> Check with no doubt
9. @gouis (who doesn't like pop much) would/might/does like the album
10. Album is from this decade (2010-now) >>> Check with no doubt
source-gif.13420

>>> There is a song called A Night of Serious Drinking in the album.

12. The artist is still alive. >>> Check with no doubt
13. EPs don't count as albums in Teeeee's counting of albums.
14. JqBX got a clue but probably doesn't know it. >>> Check with no doubt (she also released a lot of covers according to her wiki page)
giphy-1-gif.13528

>>> There is a song called Sleepwalking in the album.
16. Artist has performed at Newport Folk Festival>>> Check with no doubt, she played there in 2017

brillbldg-1-jpg.13825

>>> Check with no doubt
It’s 100% Nicole Atkins! Looking forward to checking her out as I have never heard of her before! I’ve listened to the first track on Goodnight Rhonda Lee and I was very impressed. Nicole Atkins’ voice reminds me of Beth Gibbons voice from Portishead, when her vocals are breathy. A Little Crazy sounds so theatrical, musically and vocally. It’s a real tear-jerker actually, like it really felt sincere. I’m interested to hear what the rest of the album will sound like!

It’s 100% Nicole Atkins! Looking forward to checking her out as I have never heard of her before! I’ve listened to the first track on Goodnight Rhonda Lee and I was very impressed. Nicole Atkins’ voice reminds me of Beth Gibbons voice from Portishead, when her vocals are breathy. A Little Crazy sounds so theatrical, musically and vocally. It’s a real tear-jerker actually, like it really felt sincere. I’m interested to hear what the rest of the album will sound like!

It sometimes reminds me of Amy Winehouse too. Great songs.

looking at the emojis, Leon Bridges, toddler dancing, repeat watching toddler dancing, Guns n Roses, and Roy Orbison 6 post maybe-clue streak along with the drinking out of cups link, I could find connections to both Angel Olsen and Nicole Atkins.
Yeah - the Leon Bridges day of clues has not received a lot of attention. *ahem*

And another:

north_carolina_simple[1].gif

Leon Brigdes link to Nicole?

From the All Music page on Goodnight Brenda Lee:
To underscore that effort, she sought out a new production team that makes a lot of sense on paper. Niles City Sound (Josh Block, Austin Jenkins, and Chris Vivion) drew attention for their work on retro-soul singer Leon Bridges' 2015 debut.

EDIT:
And from her bio (also from All Music):

She was raised in Neptune, New Jersey and relocated to North Carolina during her late teens to study illustration at UNC Charlotte.

More evidence for Nicole Atkins:

"Great Art is a journey — and Nicole Atkins traveled quite a distance to bring us Goodnight Rhonda Lee. As Nicole explains it, “This record came to me at a time of deep transition. Some days were good, some not so good. What I did gain, though, from starting to make some changes and going inward, and putting it out on the table, was a joy in what I do again. Joy in the process and a newfound confidence that I don’t think I’ve ever had until now. The album title, Goodnight Rhonda Lee, also came from those feelings. Rhonda Lee was kind of my alias for bad behavior, and it was time to put that persona to bed.“

Jekyll & Hyde

The direction in which these songs were headed was obvious. Nicole’s voice had always recalled a classic vinyl collection. She is the heir to the legacy of “Roy Orbison, Lee Hazelwood, Sinatra, Aretha, Carole King, Candi Staton.” She is untethered to decade or movement or the whim of the hipster elite.

Roy Orbison

In order to capture the timelessness she sought, Nicole enlisted a modern day Wrecking Crew: Niles City Sound in Fort Worth, TX, who had just risen to national acclaim as Leon Bridges‘ secret weapon. “We spoke the same language. We wanted to make something classic, something that had an atmosphere and a mood of romance and triumph and strength and soul.” The album was recorded in five days, live to tape. The album that Nicole and the boys came up with in those five days, Goodnight Rhonda Lee, is nothing less than Great Art and a quantum leap forward for Nicole Atkins who, no matter how much she grows up, will always be a little crazy."

Leon Bridges

Yeah - the Leon Bridges day of clues has not received a lot of attention. *ahem*

And another:

View attachment 14117
Angel Olsen lives in North Carolina (or at least did at one point)

Angel Olsen lives in Asheville. This is too easy and seems like a clue meant to steer us in the wrong direction, IMO.

If I have to link it, Nicole Atkins grew up in Asbury Park which is on the Jersey Shore (of the Atlantic Ocean)...

Last edited:
Angel Olsen lives in Asheville. This is too easy and seems like a clue meant to steer us in the wrong direction, IMO.

If I have to link it, Nicole Atkins grew up in Asbury Park which is on the Jersey Shore (of the Atlantic Ocean)...

Nicole Atkins went to college in NC (according to Wikipedia). It's a clue that points to both frontrunning artists. Know anyone else who'd do something like that, @Goatfish? 😂

Back