Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 3 - September 2019 /// Nicole Atkins - Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

Hi everyone. First post here. I run Single Lock Records, and we're the proud label home for Nicole Atkins. We've noticed the bump in sales and traffic from this site, so I just wanted to say THANK YOU for recognizing talented folks like Nicole.

So yeah... thank you!
Hi, @Reed ! Who else should we check out on your label?

Ok, I am giving this my fourth spin right now. (I've been home so little lately I haven't even Spincleaned and Discogged it yet)
I liked it a ton on first listen, and now I'm able to pick a few favorites.
The opener, A Little Crazy, is perfect and sets a great tone for the whole record.
Listen Up - The band is fantastic on this, as is her vocal delivery. Total Motown vibe.
Colors is so nice, reminds me of Burt Bacharach.
Holy shit, Brokedown Luck. Everything. From that opening drum beat to the way she says "luck." And there's a drum fill in here towards the end that just kills me.

Wow, Sleepwalking.

Ok, all these songs are awesome.

Fine. I'm baked and just loving every song as it plays...there are no favorites.

Great selection @Teeeee

It's nice to be in a cool little record club again.

@Reed I see Dylan LeBlanc’s Cautinary Tale was on your label. You guys still got vinyl for that?

@Teeeee if you haven’t, you should check out LeBlanc’s Renegade. I’m listening to Cautionary Tale right now and the title track has a k.d. lang fell. The newer one has a very Tom Petty feel.

Hi, @Reed ! Who else should we check out on your label?

Hi, Lee! Thanks for asking.

Normally I'd make this quick, but I feel like this is a forum of people that like to dig and explore.... so if you're ready for a deep dive, here we go.

So, Single Lock is based in Florence/Muscle Shoals, Alabama... so there's a lot of musical history that we try to live up to. The cool thing is that a lot of the guys that made those classic records still work in the studios to this day-- and they often appear on our releases. Our goal is to try to expose music from the South that you may not expect, but that we think you'll appreciate and grow to love. Our survival is based on a community of people that buy all of our releases because they trust our A&R... but every once in awhile, we have something that breaks out... which, again, brings people into our little musical community. It's a really neat thing to be a part of. We are distributed worldwide, but we're small enough that I can notice the traffic that a post on a great forum like this can generate... and to me, that's the best of both worlds.

We are a label that's run by musicians (John Paul White from The Civil Wars is a partner, as is Ben Tanner from Alabama Shakes. I play drums with John Paul White and Cedric Burnside and appear on a lot of our releases). Most of our releases are recorded in our studios, right here in the Shoals. So now that you've read the primer, here's some stuff I'd recommend! I'm really proud of this so there's a lot of recommendations... I'll try to make them brief.

St. Paul & the Broken Bones - Half the City - the record that broke our label out. Blue eyed soul music. Our biggest seller to date.

Dylan LeBlanc - Cautionary Tale - alt-country with groove and vocals that'll wow you. Another that re-launched a career.

John Paul White- The Hurting Kind - solo record from the former Civil Wars frontman. Cinematic countrypolitan from the best voice in the biz.

Belle Adair- Tuscumbia - power-indie-pop recorded at FAME Studios and mixed at Wilco's Loft. (I'm in this band!)

Cedric Burnside - Benton County Relic - R.L. Burnside's grandson continues the tradition of Hill Country blues. Grammy nominated in 2019.

Erin Rae - Putting On Airs - Indie-folk from the singer everyone in Nashville wants to be. Brilliant written and sung. Americana nominated in 2019.

Caleb Elliott - Forever to Fade - Indie-swamp-folk-pop from Louisiana singer, funky and grooving... like gumbo, but with acoustic guitars.

Donnie Fritts - Oh My Goodness - A 76 year old songwriting legend makes his finest record, with help from his legendary friends. Like Randy Newman with some grit in the vocals. Donnie recently passed, so we're especially proud we were involved with his career.

The Prescriptions - Hollywood Gold - Power-pop with some roots. Like Wilco in the beginning. New record in 2020 with music produced by Brendan Benson of The Raconteurs.

The Kernal - LIGHT COUNTRY - Hyper literate country from a shit-hot band that writes some of the funniest, memorable tunes you'll hear.

So there ya go. If you are a deep diver, I think your interest will be rewarded. If anyone has any questions, do let me know. Thanks for being voracious listeners... and if there's anything here you like (including, obviously, Nicole's wonderful Goodnight Rhonda Lee, you can order it directly from us (www.singlelock.com) and our crack staff of 3 will lovingly prepare and ship to you quickly, with extra goodies typically included like stickers and stuff. Sometimes Amazon beats us by a day (especially this week, as most of us are at Americanafest) but we think it's worth it to order direct... and we work hard to keep the prices low.

Thanks everyone! I hope you find something that brings you some joy. Y'all have a wonderful day!

@Reed I see Dylan LeBlanc’s Cautinary Tale was on your label. You guys still got vinyl for that?

We certainly do. $14.98

Normally I'd make this quick, but I feel like this is a forum of people that like to dig and explore.... so if you're ready for a deep dive, here we go.

So, Single Lock is based in Florence/Muscle Shoals, Alabama... so there's a lot of musical history that we try to live up to. The cool thing is that a lot of the guys that made those classic records still work in the studios to this day-- and they often appear on our releases. Our goal is to try to expose music from the South that you may not expect, but that we think you'll appreciate and grow to love. Our survival is based on a community of people that buy all of our releases because they trust our A&R... but every once in awhile, we have something that breaks out... which, again, brings people into our little musical community. It's a really neat thing to be a part of. We are distributed worldwide, but we're small enough that I can notice the traffic that a post on a great forum like this can generate... and to me, that's the best of both worlds.

We are a label that's run by musicians (John Paul White from The Civil Wars is a partner, as is Ben Tanner from Alabama Shakes. I play drums with John Paul White and Cedric Burnside and appear on a lot of our releases). Most of our releases are recorded in our studios, right here in the Shoals. So now that you've read the primer, here's some stuff I'd recommend! I'm really proud of this so there's a lot of recommendations... I'll try to make them brief.

St. Paul & the Broken Bones - Half the City - the record that broke our label out. Blue eyed soul music. Our biggest seller to date.

Dylan LeBlanc - Cautionary Tale - alt-country with groove and vocals that'll wow you. Another that re-launched a career.

John Paul White- The Hurting Kind - solo record from the former Civil Wars frontman. Cinematic countrypolitan from the best voice in the biz.

Belle Adair- Tuscumbia - power-indie-pop recorded at FAME Studios and mixed at Wilco's Loft. (I'm in this band!)

Cedric Burnside - Benton County Relic - R.L. Burnside's grandson continues the tradition of Hill Country blues. Grammy nominated in 2019.

Erin Rae - Putting On Airs - Indie-folk from the singer everyone in Nashville wants to be. Brilliant written and sung. Americana nominated in 2019.

Caleb Elliott - Forever to Fade - Indie-swamp-folk-pop from Louisiana singer, funky and grooving... like gumbo, but with acoustic guitars.

Donnie Fritts - Oh My Goodness - A 76 year old songwriting legend makes his finest record, with help from his legendary friends. Like Randy Newman with some grit in the vocals. Donnie recently passed, so we're especially proud we were involved with his career.

The Prescriptions - Hollywood Gold - Power-pop with some roots. Like Wilco in the beginning. New record in 2020 with music produced by Brendan Benson of The Raconteurs.

The Kernal - LIGHT COUNTRY - Hyper literate country from a shit-hot band that writes some of the funniest, memorable tunes you'll hear.

So there ya go. If you are a deep diver, I think your interest will be rewarded. If anyone has any questions, do let me know. Thanks for being voracious listeners... and if there's anything here you like (including, obviously, Nicole's wonderful Goodnight Rhonda Lee, you can order it directly from us (www.singlelock.com) and our crack staff of 3 will lovingly prepare and ship to you quickly, with extra goodies typically included like stickers and stuff. Sometimes Amazon beats us by a day (especially this week, as most of us are at Americanafest) but we think it's worth it to order direct... and we work hard to keep the prices low.

Thanks everyone! I hope you find something that brings you some joy. Y'all have a wonderful day!

This is so amazing, thank you for taking the time to pop in here and tell us about the label and the artists!

Erin Rae is fantastic, @everyone! I'm going to dive into the rest of this over the rest of the week.

I added a link to Reed's post to my first post so this doesn't get lost deep in the pages of this thread. :)

This is so amazing, thank you for taking the time to pop in here and tell us about the label and the artists!

Erin Rae is fantastic, @everyone! I'm going to dive into the rest of this over the rest of the week.
Erin Rae is opening for Hiss Golden Messenger next month in Portland, looking forward to that!

Tell y'all what. Calm your credit cards a bit-- if you use the code GROOVES we'll give you free shipping. If you've already ordered (i recognize a couple of you) I'll refund the shipping. I just appreciate the support for what we do. Thank you. Be patient with us this week, as many of us are at Americanafest and out of the office. We'll get this moving as quickly as possible! Thanks!

NOTE: If you are international, this applies to you, as well... but do keep in mind that shipping internationally costs a small label like us anywhere from $15-22 USD. I'll gladly eat this cost because I think this place is that cool... but if you feel inclined to add another record to the cart to make up for it, I won't be upset! Thanks!

Back