Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 3 - September 2019 /// Nicole Atkins - Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

I like this, it’s got a Dusty Springfield, Lake Street Dive rocky/blue-eyed soul with a hint of country feel to it. So you know, smack dab in the middle of one of my many wheel houses. Will report back after I’ve had some time to fully digest it.
I am pretty sure she has toured with LSD.

I had a feeling this would be something you would dig!!!

I’ve listened to this twice now and I’m really enjoying it @Teeeee

I struggle to describe what I like about music sometimes (I think I tend to have an emotional, rather than cerebral, interaction with the music I like best) but I know that I like this.

I’ll see if I can report back with something more cogent at some point in the future when I’ve given it a few more listens!
This thread has been such a challenge for me because I'm so horrible at describing music and why I like it. I like it because I like it, dammit! And it gives me chills or that eye-watering feeling because my body doesn't know what to do with the emotion I'm feeling. So, yeah, I completely understand what you're saying. You like it, that's what I want to hear!!!

Having hell finding this in a brick and mortar. I’ve got one more which is so good I should have started there.

I actually saw it at my local when I went yesterday morning. There was also a new Ikebe Shakedown. They have good taste, it seems.

(Or people here have bad taste, since they were still in the store)

Last edited:
This thread has been such a challenge for me because I'm so horrible at describing music and why I like it. I like it because I like it, dammit! And it gives me chills or that eye-watering feeling because my body doesn't know what to do with the emotion I'm feeling. So, yeah, I completely understand what you're saying. You like it, that's what I want to hear!!!
some of my favorite shows are the ones that make me shake my ass, jump up and down, go wild in a manner.

but some of the most shattering moments- ones that make me question the world and then question my questions- are more akin to Stendhal syndrome.

art, man. I love it when it makes ya indescribably feel.

PIF ALERT! PIF ALERT! PIF ALERT!

For the next 24 hours, anyone who has participated in this thread but has not had a chance to snag this, I'll be sending this wonderful record (since I got 2 courtesy of @Colonel_Angus and @Teeeee) to somebody. Both have given their blessing to PIF this along to a very fortunate N&G'er.

Get your name in before tomorrow at 4PM and your spot in line will be random number generated to figure out who I'm shipping to. RUN!

Last edited:

For the next 24 hours, anyone who has participated in this thread but has not had a chance to snag this, I'll be sending this wonderful record (since I got 2 courtesy of @Colonel_Angus and @Teeeee). Both have given their blessing to PIF this along to a very fortunate N&G'er.

Get your name in before tomorrow at 4PM and your spot in line will be random number generated to figure out who I'm shipping to. RUN!
Put my name in the hat!

For the next 24 hours, anyone who has participated in this thread but has not had a chance to snag this, I'll be sending this wonderful record (since I got 2 courtesy of @Colonel_Angus and @Teeeee). Both have given their blessing to PIF this along to a very fortunate N&G'er.

Sign me up for the hat please! Thanks @Goatfish

Hat me bb

May i be put in the hat?

There is a blue eyed soul in Goodnight Rhonda Lee that recalls Elvis and Dusty collaborating with esteemed working studio bands in Memphis. Unlike Anderson East who brings the same feel to a country styling, there is a classiness that recalls Barbara Streisand or a sexy distant etherealness that seems like Nancy Sinatra. Songs like Brokedown Luck or A Dream Without Pain or Goodnight Rhonda Lee have a sound and production that would play well next to Patsy Cline’s Crazy. While songs like Colors and Listen Up could stand side by side with a playlist including Taylor Swift. This is a retro sound that is clearly what She & Him want to pull of with just enough new to make a comparison to a modern stylist of vintage sound like Bruno Mars or Leon Bridges more apt. It’s an album that seems to sound timeless and contemporary in equal measure. It’s also not just a grower but in a few listens fits like that sweater that everyone compliments but just feels like a lazy Sunday morning. Without any overstatement, this belongs on shelves that have Dusty in Memphis or Yola’s stand out debut. The ability to pull off both while not being merely derivative is the feat of an artist to keep an eye on and I’m sure I will enjoy exploring her discography and seeing that Robert Ellis is involved, I know that I’ll be seeking out the performers on the album as well and that is the true mark of me enjoying a record, when I want to explore every nook and cranny.

For the next 24 hours, anyone who has participated in this thread but has not had a chance to snag this, I'll be sending this wonderful record (since I got 2 courtesy of @Colonel_Angus and @Teeeee) to somebody. Both have given their blessing to PIF this along to a very fortunate N&G'er.

You can throw my name in the hat, too! Cool idea

Last edited:

I haven’t bought it yet (Amazon is still OOS), so please add me to the list. Thanks!

There is a blue eyed soul in Goodnight Rhonda Lee that recalls Elvis and Dusty collaborating with esteemed working studio bands in Memphis. Unlike Anderson East who brings the same feel to a country styling, there is a classiness that recalls Barbara Streisand or a sexy distant etherealness that seems like Nancy Sinatra. Songs like Brokedown Luck or A Dream Without Pain or Goodnight Rhonda Lee have a sound and production that would play well next to Patsy Cline’s Crazy. While songs like Colors and Listen Up could stand side by side with a playlist including Taylor Swift. This is a retro sound that is clearly what She & Him want to pull of with just enough new to make a comparison to a modern stylist of vintage sound like Bruno Mars or Leon Bridges more apt. It’s an album that seems to sound timeless and contemporary in equal measure. It’s also not just a grower but in a few listens fits like that sweater that everyone compliments but just feels like a lazy Sunday morning. Without any overstatement, this belongs on shelves that have Dusty in Memphis or Yola’s stand out debut. The ability to pull off both while not being merely derivative is the feat of an artist to keep an eye on and I’m sure I will enjoy exploring her discography and seeing that Robert Ellis is involved, I know that I’ll be seeking out the performers on the album as well and that is the true mark of me enjoying a record, when I want to explore every nook and cranny.
I. Love. This.

So much

Please promise you'll make this kind of well-thought analysis of my pick next month.

Please promise you'll make this kind of well-thought analysis of my pick next month.
Unfortunately, I am one hundred percent controlled by my muse, so I can’t promise that; but when the spirit moves I will be glad to provide. I’ve struggled to get to this point with music. I love Music so much, but have honestly found it hard to write about in the past.

Oh yes please

Back