Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 3 - September 2019 /// Nicole Atkins - Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

Just wanted to thank you for an awesome selection for the fourth N&G ROTM. To be completely honest I was looking forward to My Woman more when it was a debate between the two but after so many listens I really do prefer Goodnight Rhonda Lee. It’s such a rewarding album and she’s got such a great voice.

Appreciate the highlighting of a lesser known artist as well. Cheers! ✌
Yes! I love that I chose something that you may not have been excited about but came around to enjoying! Thank you for listening.

Finally! Got a chance to give this the attention it deserves. Here are some snippets on my first "real" listen, written in real time. There will be more analysis to follow on further listens because this DESERVES several. There's a lot more going on than I realized when I listened to a few songs here and there before this first dedicated listen on headphones:

1. A Little Crazy - Oooo those strings. OOOOO those vocal melodies. Definitely can see the comparisons to Roy Orbison based on this track alone. A lot of "Crying" vibes and that is one of my favorite Roy Orbison tunes, so a very good thing! That vocal rasp towards the end has so much emotion behind it. Very cool song. 9/10

2. Darkness Falls so Quiet - Groovy piano, cool strings, and Nicole's smooth ass voice. I really like the lyricism here. 8/10

3. Listen Up - Straightforward tune. Dig. 7/10

4. Goodnight Rhonda Lee - Man I really dig the more country/rockabilly tinged tunes the most so far (though it's so early). I think this type of sound complements her sound the best, and I'm totally OK with her making me think of Roy Orbison (again). 9/10

5. If I Could - May be my favorite so far, even though I probably have the least to say. I blinked and the song was over. Really reminds me of something and I can't put my finger on it. 9/10

6. Colors – Emotional tune. Anyone who has struggled with any kind of addiction can relate. The music really matches the melancholy, fear, and uncertainty in her voice. Almost a theatrical, musical type feel to this song which I’m usually not a fan of, but really works here. There is so much variation already on this record! 7/10

7. Brokedown Luck – HOLY SOUL! Nicole can belt, she can croon, she can deftly sing around strings and guitar and piano and drums. This lady is quite the musician. Oh hai horns! 8/10

8. I Love Living Here (Even When I Don’t)- Smooooooth opening. Tee knows I love smooth. MMMM Nicole’s voice. Got some of those “ethereal” qualities we talked about in the JQBX yesterday with the atmosphere. Jazzy touches, just more variation to this diverse sounding record. 8/10

9. Sleepwalking – Funky little guitar riff. Some cool lyricism here. I’ve been there before. Am I awake? Am I dreaming? My past feels like so many different “lives” sometimes and I don’t have a connection to them. If I were an addict, I can only imagine how much more choppy those memories/lack of memories would feel. Is this what she’s talking about? I don’t care it’s cool and it’s got me thinking. PS Nicole’s voice is just lovely. 7/10

10. A Night of Serious Drinking – Another one of these songs making me think immediately of Roy with the vocal melodies. Again, again, again, this is a very good thing. Classic, never stale sound. Really dig the bass in this song. All that being said, something isn't clicking like the previous songs. I am sure it will grow upon further listens. 6/10

11. A Dream Without Pain - Some of my favorite lyricism on the record and a great closer to a pretty emotional album. Again, this one has some theatrical vibes to my ears. I love when she goes from sultry singing and swells into these big belts. 8/10

Overall impression: Very, very good. Not something I often listen to, so I'm very grateful for it being chosen. This is what "curation" is all about and I very much look forward to future spins. This was done on headphones so I'll chime in with my wife's thoughts when I crank this up for the whole family to hear. Thanks @Teeeee ! It was a great month co-captaining with you.

Finally! Got a chance to give this the attention it deserves. Here are some snippets on my first "real" listen, written in real time. There will be more analysis to follow on further listens because this DESERVES several. There's a lot more going on than I realized when I listened to a few songs here and there before this first dedicated listen on headphones:

1. A Little Crazy - Oooo those strings. OOOOO those vocal melodies. Definitely can see the comparisons to Roy Orbison based on this track alone. A lot of "Crying" vibes and that is one of my favorite Roy Orbison tunes, so a very good thing! That vocal rasp towards the end has so much emotion behind it. Very cool song. 9/10

2. Darkness Falls so Quiet - Groovy piano, cool strings, and Nicole's smooth ass voice. I really like the lyricism here. 8/10

3. Listen Up - Straightforward tune. Dig. 7/10

4. Goodnight Rhonda Lee - Man I really dig the more country/rockabilly tinged tunes the most so far (though it's so early). I think this type of sound complements her sound the best, and I'm totally OK with her making me think of Roy Orbison (again). 9/10

5. If I Could - May be my favorite so far, even though I probably have the least to say. I blinked and the song was over. Really reminds me of something and I can't put my finger on it. 9/10

6. Colors – Emotional tune. Anyone who has struggled with any kind of addiction can relate. The music really matches the melancholy, fear, and uncertainty in her voice. Almost a theatrical, musical type feel to this song which I’m usually not a fan of, but really works here. There is so much variation already on this record! 7/10

7. Brokedown Luck – HOLY SOUL! Nicole can belt, she can croon, she can deftly sing around strings and guitar and piano and drums. This lady is quite the musician. Oh hai horns! 8/10

8. I Love Living Here (Even When I Don’t)- Smooooooth opening. Tee knows I love smooth. MMMM Nicole’s voice. Got some of those “ethereal” qualities we talked about in the JQBX yesterday with the atmosphere. Jazzy touches, just more variation to this diverse sounding record. 8/10

9. Sleepwalking – Funky little guitar riff. Some cool lyricism here. I’ve been there before. Am I awake? Am I dreaming? My past feels like so many different “lives” sometimes and I don’t have a connection to them. If I were an addict, I can only imagine how much more choppy those memories/lack of memories would feel. Is this what she’s talking about? I don’t care it’s cool and it’s got me thinking. PS Nicole’s voice is just lovely. 7/10

10. A Night of Serious Drinking – Another one of these songs making me think immediately of Roy with the vocal melodies. Again, again, again, this is a very good thing. Classic, never stale sound. Really dig the bass in this song. All that being said, something isn't clicking like the previous songs. I am sure it will grow upon further listens. 6/10

11. A Dream Without Pain - Some of my favorite lyricism on the record and a great closer to a pretty emotional album. Again, this one has some theatrical vibes to my ears. I love when she goes from sultry singing and swells into these big belts. 8/10

Overall impression: Very, very good. Not something I often listen to, so I'm very grateful for it being chosen. This is what "curation" is all about and I very much look forward to future spins. This was done on headphones so I'll chime in with my wife's thoughts when I crank this up for the whole family to hear. Thanks @Teeeee ! It was a great month co-captaining with you.
Wow, I love all of this! I'm glad you like it. And yes, I'm curious about your wife's thoughts since she doesn't like your sad stuff. Lol

We make a pretty darn good team!!!!

I know I've been even quieter than usual lately (I'M SHY) but this whole club is wholesome and wonderful and I am very excited for my record to arrive. Thanks, @Teeeee.

Also, I just ran a search for "Atkins" on my email-I-provide-to-buy-things-from-Internet to look for my order confirmation, and I was pretty astonished by how many strangers are apparently, like, very deeply concerned about the amount of carbs I'm still eating.

I know I've been even quieter than usual lately (I'M SHY) but this whole club is wholesome and wonderful and I am very excited for my record to arrive. Thanks, @Teeeee.

Also, I just ran a search for "Atkins" on my email-I-provide-to-buy-things-from-Internet to look for my order confirmation, and I was pretty astonished by how many strangers are apparently, like, very deeply concerned about the amount of carbs I'm still eating.
I love that these threads bring out our shyer members. I hope that you like it!!!! So sorry to contribute to your spam. Lol

HAYDEE!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. - Stop hiding

Not been on of late - Accidentally got out of the habit 🤷‍♂️ but i popped in last week picked up vol 3 info and purchsed (gotta stay 100%) on these picks 🙂
Good choice @Teeeee given it multiple listens which is certainly a good sign. Never even heard of Nicole but im gonna try more.
Stand out instantly for me was track 2 - Darkness Falls so Quiet. Love that track ! I lean closer to these over the country ones but Im enjoying the whole.
Will stay high on my playlist whilst i get familiar for the next few weeks. Alongside Bon Iver (which ive just picked up)

Not been on of late - Accidentally got out of the habit 🤷‍♂️ but i popped in last week picked up vol 3 info and purchsed (gotta stay 100%) on these picks 🙂
Good choice @Teeeee given it multiple listens which is certainly a good sign. Never even heard of Nicole but im gonna try more.
Stand out instantly for me was track 2 - Darkness Falls so Quiet. Love that track ! I lean closer to these over the country ones but Im enjoying the whole.
Will stay high on my playlist whilst i get familiar for the next few weeks. Alongside Bon Iver (which ive just picked up)
Darkness falls so quiet was what hooked me!

Come back more! You're missed around here.

I’ve listened to this twice now and I’m really enjoying it @Teeeee

I struggle to describe what I like about music sometimes (I think I tend to have an emotional, rather than cerebral, interaction with the music I like best) but I know that I like this.

I’ll see if I can report back with something more cogent at some point in the future when I’ve given it a few more listens!

I’ve listened to this twice now and I’m really enjoying it @Teeeee

I struggle to describe what I like about music sometimes (I think I tend to have an emotional, rather than cerebral, interaction with the music I like best) but I know that I like this.

I’ll see if I can report back with something more cogent at some point in the future when I’ve given it a few more listens!
I totally relate to the emotional response! When I REALLY listen to something, I go into more intellectual/analytical/reviewer mode because I like to be all pseudo-intellectual sometimes. But usually when I just hear something for the first time, I respond much more emotionally. I have a feeling we aren't the only ones. In one of my new fandoms, I started watching some "React" videos related to them, and I've noticed two reactors tear up (pretty much when I did) at an emotional part of one of their songs and others describe getting goosebumps (I should point out that an equal or greater number of people think that band and its music are totally stupid and they're not wrong about that either...anyway I digress). Emotion!

Back