Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 27 - September 2021 /// Jneiro Jarel - After a Thousand Years

Some thoughts:

I've updated my clue breakdown

I listened to about 3/4 of the album in the car while running errands with the kiddo this morning. Not the best place for a deep listen, but I love what I've heard so far. In fact, I'm a bit disappointed in myself for having missed this last year, but glad it's on my radar now - and looking forward to a deeper listen on the drive home from dropping the kiddo off at Mom's later.

While I may have cursed @NewsFedora silently under my breath over the past week or two (and my wife, me, at least once, not under her breath, for how late I stayed up trying to crack this thing a couple of nights back! :ROFLMAO: ), I have very much enjoyed these clues - they took me down some great roads, and in most cases the answer was right in front of me the whole time but somehow kept overlooking it! I suspected I would have a facepalm moment when the answer was revealed, and I definitely did. Well played!

Btw even though it's not this you really should play this game..

a less violent hotline Miami (as in not covered in gore). Which is already cool because hotline Miami is a fantastic game (tw for very graphic and personally bad taste r*pe scene in the second game)

but what makes it special is the dynamic soundtrack

In which EVERY movement you make does something to the music and your hits and throws are cymbals and snares so you basically make your own free jazz album

Btw even though it's not this you really should play this game..

a less violent hotline Miami (as in not covered in gore). Which is already cool because hotline Miami is a fantastic game (tw for very graphic and personally bad taste r*pe scene in the second game)

but what makes it special is the dynamic soundtrack

In which EVERY movement you make does something to the music and your hits and throws are cymbals and snares so you basically make your own free jazz album

I never played it, but I remember when it first came out thinking it was a pretty cool use of percussion. Kind of like Birdman but with more shootings and explosions.

A little tease: Ape Out was published by Devolver Digital, which also published one of my all-time favorite indie games, Dropsy. Chris Schlarb did the soundtrack to Dropsy, and another one of his albums (also video game-related) was on my shortlist for AOTM. It'll be one of my swaptions. :)

It's Eevee Community Day in Pokemon Go so I'm gonna be a little busy today. It'll give anyone a few extra hours to throw in a guess. I'll drop the announcement, who wins a copy, swaptions, etc later today.

It's been a lot of fun, even if at times it felt a tad stressful. Hope you all like this album!

Multiple posts incoming!

But first and most importantly, your September 2021 Needles & Grooves Album of the Month is:

JNEIRO JAREL - AFTER A THOUSAND YEARS (2020)
aotm.jpg

Full writeup moved to the OP!

Where To Buy:
As of this writing it's available on JJ's Bandcamp page and also available directly from Far Out's website. It was listed as out of stock a few weeks ago (which gave me a minor heart attack) but as of August 14 I guess they found another box of records or something. The label is currently running a 20% off sale until August 31, just use the code "SUMMER21" at checkout:

And if it costs too much or runs out of stock again, here is a lengthy list of other sites that currently list it for sale (as of August 14, 2021):

Amazon product ASIN B08J17Y911

Last edited:
CLUE ROUNDUP!

Whelp, @avecigrec doggedly went about solving the mystery, which I enjoyed seeing play out. Even before finally figuring out the album, he came up with some excellent guesses of more great music that I highly recommend checking out. Here's how he put the clues together:

Clue #1 - Bill Summers worked with Herbie Hancock and features here.

Clue #2 - Umm... Alex Anzalone and Jneiro Jarel both have first and last names that start with the same letter and were imports to New Orleans?

Clue #3 - Scott Burton of Luray co-wrote and features on "If I Could See Heaven Without Dying."

Clue #4 - Jneiro Jarel had a club night at Gasa Gasa called Viberian Experience, and also debuted The Viberian Experience Orchestra there.

Clue #5 - "Trop-pics" - this is a picture of the tropics. Also some of the album was recorded in Costa Rica.

Clue #6 - One of Jarel's Dr Who Dat? tracks turns up in your ROM video.

Clue #7 - Vaneeta is played by Indigo, who is married to Jarel. Her role on Treme is what led to she and Jarel's relocation to New Orleans.

Clue #8 - Ladybug Mecca was in Digable Planets with King Britt, whose Jazzmental album features Jarel (and who also features on the release mentioned below for clue #10). She also worked with Masauko Chipembere, who features on the album.

Clue #9 - "Having just put the finishing touches to the recordings, Jarel suffered an ischemic stroke while living and working in Costa Rica"

Clue #10 - Jarel's remix of Balada 45 appears on Mochilla's Timeless: The Composer / Arranger Series (Remixed)

Clue #11 - "Banana Peel - Cáscara De Plátano" appears on this album

Clue #12 - "Who Dat" = Dr Who Dat? who is also Jneiro Jarel.

Clue #13 - "But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished." = After A Thousand Years

Clue #14 - "Omar Comin'" - Jneiro Jarel's real name is Omar Jarel Gilyard.

Bonus Clue - The record is sold out from the label directly (although appears to still be available on Bandcamp)

[edit: figured out clues 7 & 9, and added the bonus clue!]

[continued edits to add answers for the last few clues]
I'll just add a couple of extra notes...

- The reason behind Clue 2 is actually incorrect but... aw hell, I like this explanation better so we'll go ahead and make that the official logic behind it.

- Clue 5 is specifically of Costa Rica's Rio Celeste, which looks almost supernatural.

- Everything is correct about Clue 7 and Vaneeta/Indigo. It tied to the other three video clues because she also plays guitar on the album's final track

-For Clue 10, here's JJ's remix of the Arthur Verocai song:

And lastly about my rom hack: I get that my EarthBound clue was a big ask. It's a long game and I use dozens of different musicians in it. But if you only watched the preview video with Shazam at your side, you'd have come up with a much smaller pool of artists... among the first appearing a minute into the video being this guy:
image_123986672.JPG
If you did play my rom hack, first of all, you rule. And second of all, JJ does reappear with several more songs throughout. 🥰

SWAPTIONS!​

Ok, so tropical-sounding afro-centric jazz might not be everyone's cup of tea, I get it. Here are two other albums that were on my shortlist that I highly recommend:

Cosmic Pilgrimage: The Klyfta Tapes 1972 - 1975
Stream it/Buy it here:

Chris Schlarb is a California-based composer, singer, songwriter, multi-instrumentalist... he's quite talented and does a lot of jazzy and folk-style albums, either as a solo artist or with his collective Psychic Temple. He did the soundtrack to one of my favorite indie games, Dropsy, back in 2015 and more recently teamed up once again with Dropsy creator Jay Tholen to contribute music for another critically acclaimed game, Hypnospace Outlaw:

There is a Hypnospace Outlaw soundtrack available for pre-order right now but this is a bit different. In the game, you can find numerous fan pages for a fictitious "cosmic music" Scandanavian jazz-rock band named Klyfta. In actuality, it's Psychic Temple just having fun and indulging in some epic instrumental prog rock.

This album, available only on Schlarb's Bandcamp as far as I can tell, pretends to be a compilation of recovered recordings from the band in the 1970s. Even if you're not familiar with Hypnospace Outlaw or the Klyfta mythos, this album stands on its own as an epic soundscape journey.

itmitc.jpg
Portugal. The Man - In The Mountain In The Cloud

This was my "mainstream" pick in case Jneiro, Klyfta, and [band redacted as a possible future AOTM artist years down the road] all fell through and for a hot minute, it looked like that was exactly what was going to happen. But as I soon found plenty of sites still carrying Jneiro and then saw its Bandcamp get restocked (it was down to 3 copies left at one point) I felt confident about sticking with my original plan.

Having said that, I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with PTM. They've been around as an indie rock band for over 15 years now but only really hit it big commercially with their last album Woodstock, featuring the song Feel It Still.

Woodstock is... alright. But it's definitely a far cry from what this band is capable of putting together and I'd argue that this album, In the Mountain In the Cloud, is the best introduction to the band. Fantastic rock songs with a leftist bent if you're looking for politics in your music, the album just got reissued a few months ago so copies of it should be easy to come by (and I think its original 2011 pressing is still fairly affordable as well). Let me know if you need help finding links to buy it, but it shouldn't be hard to find I would think.

Attachments

• a3474382377_10.jpg
    a3474382377_10.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

FREE ALBUM DRAWING!​

First I wanna thank everyone for all the guesses -- both serious and otherwise -- and for taking some time to try and figure out what sort of weird-ass music was I planning to unleash on you all. I had a lot of fun, and I hope you did too. In many ways, you're all winners.

winner.PNG

But in a more accurate way, @ThePakoBuelna is the winner.

Congrats! We shall hash out the details over DMs!

Back