Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 27 - September 2021 /// Jneiro Jarel - After a Thousand Years

Today's clue is not gonna be helpful but I'll be totally honest I thought everyone would have figured it out by now and would look at this video and go "Mmhmm, mmhmm yep this totally matches with what we think it's gonna be."

Sorry sorry tomorrow will be easier I promise oh god somebody figure out the method to my madness 😓

So a random One Direction album is your official guess? 😮
No

Iwas gonna go with a Legend of Zelda Vinyl release but decided to go alon g with your Arthur Verocai clue and officially hit on this……

Jameszoo - Fool

Just fuck with everyone until the day you feel comfortable dropping the reveal

What is a connection that all those videos have in common

I can't think of anything explicit

Also the video game clue confuses me

If mountain and game soundtrack I'd guess Celeste

The southern theme of luray kinda says Kentucky route zero

I know nothing about weeds or ladybug mecca

And jazz is kinda unsure but I maybe think of ape out being a free jazz video game.

None combine together though.. and for label I dunno if it's Mondo or iam8bit or ship to shore or just something on Fangamer or bandcamp

MCA territory infarct (Thanks the name of the picture)

Can obstruct blood cells and lead to strokes.. it would be either the frontal lobe, temporal lobe, or parietal lobe.

What does that contribute

Literally nothing.. I don't understand a lick of it

Bonus clue: it's not a video game soundtrack.

And to help further explain the obtuse video game hint, what I did was I took an ordinary SNES game (EarthBound) and replaced its soundtrack with (mostly) hip hop beats. Pharrell, Madlib, MF DOOM, etc.

As a specific example, here's a playthrough video from part of my game:

Go to 56:25 if the video doesn't start there and watch as our hero enters a police station... and Mystikal's "Shake Ya Ass" starts playing.

The artist for the AOTM appears in the rom hack like this. If you don't want to play through the entire game compiling a list of artists you recognize, you could always just watch the preview video in my original hint post if you have 20 minutes to kill.

Extra super bonus clue: Even though this rom hack features hip hop beats, I have never said the AOTM is rap or hip hop.

MCA territory infarct (Thanks the name of the picture)

Can obstruct blood cells and lead to strokes.. it would be either the frontal lobe, temporal lobe, or parietal lobe.

What does that contribute

Literally nothing.. I don't understand a lick of it

You're so close to having a "Eureka!" moment. 🤭

Aha!

It's The Strokes!

Guess an album! You'll be wrong, but I can add you to the list!

Bonus clue: it's not a video game soundtrack.

And to help further explain the obtuse video game hint, what I did was I took an ordinary SNES game (EarthBound) and replaced its soundtrack with (mostly) hip hop beats. Pharrell, Madlib, MF DOOM, etc.

As a specific example, here's a playthrough video from part of my game:

Go to 56:25 if the video doesn't start there and watch as our hero enters a police station... and Mystikal's "Shake Ya Ass" starts playing.

The artist for the AOTM appears in the rom hack like this. If you don't want to play through the entire game compiling a list of artists you recognize, you could always just watch the preview video in my original hint post if you have 20 minutes to kill.

Extra super bonus clue: Even though this rom hack features hip hop beats, I have never said the AOTM is rap or hip hop.

Video game remix album

Has to do with some part of the brain I don't understand

I am not a master at MRI

You're so close to having a "Eureka!" moment. 🤭

Guess an album! You'll be wrong, but I can add you to the list!

Video game remix album

Has to do with some part of the brain I don't understand

I am not a master at MRI

Unless I’m mistaken MCA was/is a record label? Perhaps that’s whats being got at?

Not a remix album either. The video game connection ends with my rom hack.
Im pretty sure you have dealt out enough hints for a member to work it out. I can see your itching to drop a few more clues, but I reckon someone can come up with it within the next 48 hrs.

Wont be me tho - Im so Super shit at this.

Clue #1 - Bill Summers worked with Herbie Hancock and features here.

Clue #2 - Umm... Alex Anzalone and Jneiro Jarel both have first and last names that start with the same letter and were imports to New Orleans?

Clue #3 - Scott Burton of Luray co-wrote and features on "If I Could See Heaven Without Dying."

Clue #4 - Jneiro Jarel had a club night at Gasa Gasa called Viberian Experience, and also debuted The Viberian Experience Orchestra there.

Clue #5 - "Trop-pics" - this is a picture of the tropics. Also some of the album was recorded in Costa Rica.

Clue #6 - One of Jarel's Dr Who Dat? tracks turns up in your ROM video.

Clue #7 - Vaneeta is played by Indigo, who is married to Jarel. Her role on Treme is what led to she and Jarel's relocation to New Orleans.

Clue #8 - Ladybug Mecca was in Digable Planets with King Britt, whose Jazzmental album features Jarel (and who also features on the release mentioned below for clue #10). She also worked with Masauko Chipembere, who features on the album.

Clue #9 - "Having just put the finishing touches to the recordings, Jarel suffered an ischemic stroke while living and working in Costa Rica"

Clue #10 - Jarel's remix of Balada 45 appears on Mochilla's Timeless: The Composer / Arranger Series (Remixed)

Clue #11 - "Banana Peel - Cáscara De Plátano" appears on this album

Clue #12 - "Who Dat" = Dr Who Dat? who is also Jneiro Jarel.

Clue #13 - "But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished." = After A Thousand Years

Clue #14 - "Omar Comin'" - Jneiro Jarel's real name is Omar Jarel Gilyard.

Bonus Clue - The record is sold out from the label directly (although appears to still be available on Bandcamp)

[edit: figured out clues 7 & 9, and added the bonus clue!]

[continued edits to add answers for the last few clues]

Last edited:
Back