Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 24 - June 2021 // Calliope Musicals - Color/Sweat

the HOMEWORK
I've worked at least one event that this artist appeared at.
I've worked many! and partied at more! but they have appeared many times at a festival I produced from 2009-2019. here they are in a creek at Utopiafest.
the artist is still alive.
alive and putting out new music!

the artist has appeared on The Austin 100 before.
landed on it in 2017- what a killer list that year! they appeared again in 2019 on the Austin 100 Alumni Edition.
1. 5ish
2. glitter bomb
3. outer space, but I don't think the same outer space as GWAR. maybe they are neighbors though?
4. a bit niche
1. they were 2 and then 6 and now 5 I think?
1621552819857.png
3. I mean, aliens right? they are also on Spaceflight Records- the first fully non-profit record label in the USA.
4. @Indymisanthrope searched my posts and found I mentioned Carrie once before 😮 sleuthy.
_______
View attachment 99193+View attachment 99284
^ this is Bob Eubanks hosting and Nipsy Russell guesting on a show called Rhyme & Reason.... which is also the name of the women-owned independent label that put out Color/Sweat.
slow-motion-ball-popping.gif
this album was recorded at The Bubble in Austin, Texas.
like Indy connected- there is a song on this album that samples cracking knuckles.
this is a pristine Greco-Roman mosaic uncovered of the Nine Muses. one of the muses is Calliope, who's name means "beautiful voice" and is the muse of the poet.
Texas sage (a shrub, not actual sage) is the barometer bush

this week's nails are dark olive green with gold flakes.
I stumbled on and listened to this podcast while trying to find old footage from an acoustic set: Glitter & Sage
this gif is from a Netflix show called Ginny & Georgia, and a Calliope song appears in an episode.
Talking Heads
Fleetwood Mac
The Beatles
David Bowie
all have been covered by the band.
Calliope is also the name for an insane circus steam organ!

Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 24 - June 2021 // Calliope Musicals - Color/Sweat

with the way the world has been spinning akilter, I originally wanted to choose something that reflected the incongruent and weird disorientation I’ve been experiencing- but then I’d change my mind and decide I wanted something cheerful to counteract, something that felt like home.

I realized I knew an album that would replete both desires. Calliope's 2019 album is both a sonic triiiip and the soundtrack to my life right before everything recalibrated.

-

Calliope Musicals are weird, sexy, loud, soft- they are drifting pop, party rock, and psychedelic sonic cacophony. they come from Texas by way of the moon, and I’m fortunate to call them my friends! this album feels like sweaty art house basement shows and afternoon swims in the Milky Way, and that dichotomy makes it the perfect choice for both our current shitshow and also for the world I wish that was, one where we are all living as our authentic selves and loving all our neighbors just the same.

Carrie, the vibrational force at the front of the stage, inspires me daily with her art, fierce love, and incredible work in the community, (check out what she has been up to with Jazz Mills, Caroline Rose, and Jade Skye since the start of the pandemic.) Calliope are joy expressed- eccentric and forever sincere. they live as they perform! bona fide.

-

I hope one day you can catch them live. I've been fortunate to grow up in front of a stage, and still have never seen a show like theirs before.

I think sharing of music is sharing of heart, and, as I have said, these people are dear to mine.
hope y'all find a little of your own shine in Color/Sweat.

BUY: Calliope Musicals shop
A TASTE OF THE LIVE SHOW: joyous explosion
WATCH THEIR NEWEST SHIT: a music video!?
BECOME A LUNCH MONITOR WITH ME IF YA CAN: Free Lunch ATX
WHEN I MET THEM: unplugged backstage

words from people that talk about this stuff for a living-

"...someone passed out signs reading ENJOY as the whole room joined in the Calliope Musicals mantra: "I dreamed this dream would never end." Magical. I now have a protective cone of beautiful vibes around me and will float through the rest of this fest." - Ann Powers

"the Austin band presents a rich and swirling example of modern space-rock done right." - Bob Boilen

"They’re like a bunch of kids who got really good at their instruments instead of growing up." - James Parker
now im very intrigued... put it on my list for possible bandcamp buy

will you do a RIYL of artists that you find are similar that you recommend either listening to on vinyl or digital if you enjoyed this/would probably like the AOTM if you were a fan of

okay! so they were able to get the checkout process updated for our group. we’re gonna cover the cost difference for our international friends-

let me know if shipping doesn’t look reduced. @Indymisanthrope- I will send you the record if you want to message me your address! if there is anyone else that is interested in the record but finds the cost tricky at this moment, please shoot me a message. no questions asked- I want to share some of my heart with y’all and this band is a big part of it!

I’m dealing with nephew drama right now, so I’ll be back in one of my seconds soon
This is wonderful. Ordered my first N&G AOTM. ❤️❤️❤️

now im very intrigued... put it on my list for possible bandcamp buy

will you do a RIYL of artists that you find are similar that you recommend either listening to on vinyl or digital if you enjoyed this/would probably like the AOTM if you were a fan of
I can do my best to put together a playlist of something similar- although they feel like everyone and no one all at once to me haha.
in the meantime there's some of their friends in that playlist a bit back! you might connect with The Octopus Project, The Bishops, and CAPYAC from the Austin scene.
This is wonderful. Ordered my first N&G AOTM. ❤️❤️❤️
an honor 🖤 Calliope is grit and glitter, so I hope you enjoy. thanks for supporting some cool people!
I don't get paid until Tuesday - will the shipping stuff still be good by then?
I will confirm with them, although I will specify that you should be good to go at anytime since you are in the United States!

in order to have the bulk come directly from the band, I arranged a deal with them for the international folks so the shipping would not be prohibitive for everyone. if anyone going through their site runs into problems like @Turbo, feel free to give me the heads up before clicking checkout.

one song in it reminds me a decent amount of "what would the odd do" by guerilla toss.. definitely a compliment as that was a great album

1621872680251.png

stoked that some of you are enjoying this discovery! and appreciate all y'all that just give it a visit on streaming, too.

here is a video for one of the tracks where the band performs as a displaced goth family living out the white-picket-fence life:

That’s why we dance
That’s why we give peace a chance
That’s why we keep living in the romance of “everything’s gonna be ok”
As long as you fight through and though
For things that are bigger than you
Then I say keep living in the romance

and this week's nails are UV reactive ~
B4A9C04A-866E-4359-AE48-66BA19B761C0.jpg

TOTS!

Here is the bundle packaging. GloFX glasses, couple of stickers, and a bunch of confetti strings. I'll update the discogs for these soon, and give them a few spins!
Cheers!

View attachment 100673
wow!

also- confirmed that it's still $5 shipping flat right now for all you other denizens of planet earth. "Record Club" should pop up when you are entering your address at checkout.

offer still stands this week for anyone who is interested in participating but currently holding back on scooping due to whatever uncertainty- I don't need a reason, send me a message and join the club!

here is another music video featuring a song from Color/Sweat:

Back