Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 24 - June 2021 // Calliope Musicals - Color/Sweat

I won’t pollute @bfly’s thread with this nonsense anymore though!
oh, so now you are gonna pull back from polluting my thread.

now, on May 26th.

giphy.gif

kidding, you are great aaaand I totally got your metaphor.
but if y'all say poop gun in here one more time, Imma delete everything.

so I'm thinking of setting up a thread at the start of next week for a Q&A, and folks can start dropping questions if they'd like before Calliope swings through towards the end of the week. is there a "live" day/time that is prefered? or @admin thoughts? maybe they can bop in on Thursday.

My bundle just arrived, and judging from these photos from others, maybe about half of the confetti and streamer ribbon things may have fallen out along the way haha. There was a gold one just laying on the ground next to the package when I picked it up from my doorstep haha. I wonder how much party magic was spread to our postal workers just as this one package traveled from TX to DC haha.

ALRIGHTY

I touched on this in my reasoning/announce post, but I wanted to put a little more of a spotlight on Carrie's work over the past year outside of Calliope Musicals. she does dope shit in between recording new music, mailing y'all glitter, and rocking out on stage.

it's been incredible and inspiring, and exemplifies the big spirit that led me to choosing this album.

a month or two into pandemic lockdowns in 2020, Jazz Mills (a good friend, former Utopia team, and another sweet musician) started making rice krispie treats to deliver in Austin- for every dozen you bought for $7, she'd make 5 meals and deliver them to Camp Esperanza, a camp for the houseless in town. support grew from the community, and Carrie joined her in cooking and delivering the treats and food.

in a short time, they officially launched the non-profit Free Lunch.
picking up food manager certifications, turning home kitchens into production centers, and connecting with local restaurants along the way, my favorite Lunch Ladies Jazz and Carrie now serve 500 healthy dinners in compostable packaging to Camp Esperanza five nights a week.

Carrie and the crew did not miss a single planned meal during the Texas storm, and they are working towards adding daytime meals as the heat of summer approaches. the team is now rounded out by musician Caroline Rose, photographer Jade Skye, and the monthly financial contributors (Lunch Monitors!). they are even working on a garden to support the Camp meals, and produce a quarterly zine for Lunch Monitors.

if you are able, you can be a Lunch Monitor for $10/month with me here. you can follow them on IG for some proof of good in the world.
I also think that finding similar programs in your area is a great way to make a difference and connect with your community right now! if you want to shout out one in your area, please do.

Food is a Right.

Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 11.07.25 AM.pngScreen Shot 2021-05-28 at 11.08.26 AM.png
⬆️ Carrie making a Camp delivery during the February storm in Texas. ^and her Camp famous veggie taquitos with elote.

⬇️ the Free Lunch Ladies: Jade Skye, Jazz Mills, Carrie Fussell, and Caroline Rose.
Screen Shot 2021-05-28 at 11.05.29 AM.png

🎶 that's why we dance 🎶

Last edited:
opinions needed:
Q&A just globbed onto this thread monster OR separate thread? if separate, does it go in Clubs or General?

I'm going to kick it off soon so y'all can post in advance in case of schedule issues. Calliope Musicals will be joining us in a few days to chat and answer whatever is going on in your head!

opinions needed:
Q&A just globbed onto this thread monster OR separate thread? if separate, does it go in Clubs or General?

I'm going to kick it off soon so y'all can post in advance in case of schedule issues. Calliope Musicals will be joining us in a few days to chat and answer whatever is going on in your head!
“Dear Calliope Musicals,

Okay — so let’s say you invent time travel...”

Back