Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

I was inspired by this thread. I am listening to Nightwish. Let me try to explain what I hear to those of you that are unfamiliar with this band:

Imagine if the song Bohemian Rhapsody had an affair with the Ren Fest while listening to a mash up of Styx and Right Said Fred all while Evanescence observes from the corner of the room.

This is not a bad thing. I'm highly entertained.

I was inspired by this thread. I am listening to Nightwish. Let me try to explain what I hear to those of you that are unfamiliar with this band:

Imagine if the song Bohemian Rhapsody had an affair with the Ren Fest while listening to a mash up of Styx and Right Said Fred all while Evanescence observes from the corner of the room.

Here's Nightwish playing a Phantom of the Opera song. It's fun.

Imagine if the song Bohemian Rhapsody had an affair with the Ren Fest while listening to a mash up of Styx and Right Said Fred all while Evanescence observing from the corner of the room.

looks like you are becoming a power and symphonic metal fan

if you like this stuff try something like blind guardian, ayreon, kamalot, epica, within temptation, etc.

Last edited:
So I still have my SOAD and RATM cds. My other favourites at the time were Slipknot. I don’t seem to have their albums anymore. It’s not really my cup of tea any more but I’m thinking nostalgia demands I get their catalogue...

...I may restrict this to just cd again though!

I can't think of Slipknot without thinking of this. They go disturbingly well together...

Well since my original guess (Deftones- White Pony) seems to be eliminated by the red, white, and blue hint, I guess i’ll switch it to Deftones- Self Titled (2003). Seems to fit all the clues but imo it’s behind White Pony and even Around The Fur in its greatness.

AC812A20-4E1E-47BC-A28F-7D7388C40DC1.jpeg

But I still have a soft spot for Korn, Kittie, Linkin Park, Slipknot, and Disturbed (as they have all been labeled as nu metal by some)
Holy cow, I haven't thought about Kittie in ages. I grabbed their Spit CD when it came out in the late 90s. I lived in Buffalo at the time - which is right next to America's Hat - and Kittie were high-schoolers from Southern Ontario. They were fierce. All I've ever heard is that debut CD.

You give Opeth a go yet?
i've been busy switching my operating system a bunch of times and watching the same video.. gonna play blackwater park in a bit probably (i know you recommended watershed and ghost reveries but i wanna get the authentic opeth experience and it was on the RYM core tier list anyway which im trying to go through)

Back