Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

I mean did anyone actually like Limp Bizkit at the time?

Break Stuff was one of the first songs I loaded to my 32 MB diamond rio MP3 player along with forgot about Dre and Eiffel 65’s blue and weird al’s gangsters paradise at a 64 kbps bitrate. So I liked it for at least a couple months. Never bought any of their CDs though and don’t remember liking much outside of that (retrospectively awful) song.

Break Stuff was one of the first songs I loaded to my 32 MB diamond rio MP3 player along with forgot about Dre and Eiffel 65’s blue and weird al’s gangsters paradise at a 64 kbps bitrate. So I liked it for at least a couple months. Never bought any of their CDs though and don’t remember liking much outside of that (retrospectively awful) song.

I got given a copy of chocolate starfish as a present by a family member who thought I liked that type of music...

I got given a copy of chocolate starfish as a present by a family member who thought I liked that type of music...

That is hilarious... I was forbidden from listening to that type of music, so I naturally gravitated towards nu-metal and hip-hop.

Also, here's a pic of my MP3 player for nostaligia's sake. My ex-friend Jeremy stole it from me after I let him borrow it and never gave it back. Jerk.

rio1-980x675.jpg

That is hilarious... I was forbidden from listening to that type of music, so I naturally gravitated towards nu-metal and hip-hop.

Also, here's a pic of my MP3 player for nostaligia's sake. My ex-friend Jeremy stole it from me after I let him borrow it and never gave it back. Jerk.

rio1-980x675.jpg

To be fair to my dad he never banned anything, he just disapproved and kept lending me Beatles, Fleetwood Mac and Dylan albums throughout my teens to try and move me back! He still slags the hell out of me now over it though!

I think it was one of my younger aunts or uncles who knew enough to know they were popular and rock (probably the MI2 song) but not enough to know they were irredeemably shit!

To be fair to my dad he never banned anything, he just disapproved and kept lending me Beatles, Fleetwood Mac and Dylan albums throughout my teens to try and move me back! He still slags the hell out of me now over it though!

I think it was one of my younger aunts or uncles who knew enough to know they were popular and rock (probably the MI2 song) but not enough to know they were irredeemably shit!

Your dad is a smart man! I don't know how I plan to deal with media with my kids. I tend to be more liberal with it, but I have a feeling my wife will be a lot more strict. Guess it's one of those things you have to feel out.

There's gonna be a lot of stuff around the house with my record collection that ain't getting hidden though, so we'll have to figure something out.

Your dad is a smart man! I don't know how I plan to deal with media with my kids. I tend to be more liberal with it, but I have a feeling my wife will be a lot more strict. Guess it's one of those things you have to feel out.

There's gonna be a lot of stuff around the house with my record collection that ain't getting hidden though, so we'll have to figure something out.
Your kids listen to metal and are F'N COOOOOOL! They'll be just fine ;)

if you try to force music onto your kids they will rebel and try to listen to music that will anger you

get out of le wrong generation and maybe try to share the music without shunning it

maybe show them the influences of the music they love... and help them think more about the music

rio1-980x675.jpg

Also love that MP3 player! I was still rocking this minidisc player around that time!

9F90F3A3-7CCB-4B94-8650-E65CE7C3A1DB.jpeg

i dont have kids of my own but i do love giving family members music recommendations because i love music and want to share it with people... even though i'm not a fan of cool jazz i know my dad is a big fan of 40s and 50s jazz (sinatra, nat king cole, miles davis, etc). so i showed him stuff like dave brubeck and ben webster and he was happy.. i even got him more into hip hop with stuff like anderson paak because he really liked frank oceans channel orange and is a marvin gaye fan.

and my 7 year old (at the time.. i am not good on her age, i think she's about 10 or so now) cousin who liked music by people like taylor swift, i showed her the first song on carly rae jepsens emotion and sky fierras everythings embarassing to broaden her horizons

My buddy had that one. He would always rub in my face how much better mini disc players were than my CD player. I got the Mp3 player and I had my moment on the school bus.

Hahaha! Yeah I got this for my 16th birthday in 1999 and was the coolest kid for about a year until those first MP3 players came out. It took me until 2007 to get an iPod haha!

also fun fact there is a funny story about my dad listening to channel orange... we listened to it a few years ago on a drive to the mountains (which i am going back to on sunday). and he was very tired while driving so when we reached that transition point on pyramids he accidentally fell asleep on a stop light

Yeah it is a bit of a trial and error thing I suppose. Also I think he just thought it was horrible noise, I don’t think he ever knew how bad some of the lyrics could be...

He did make me return a RATM hoodie with “Fuck You I Won’t Do What You Tell Me” on the back. I was devastated at the time, in retrospect he was probably right haha!

Back