Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

Avenged Sevenfold - s/t

American, fits the time period, it's metal, it's included in Kerrang's "666 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die" and even has a song named "Critical Acclaim."

Buuuut....it doesn't look to be widely available on vinyl....dang it. I keep talking myself out of my guesses...

I know literally nothing about metal or metal-adjacent music, so I'll give this one a shot with open ears once it's announced.

From Deafhaven's wiki page: "A follow-up album, Sunbather, was released in 2013 to wide critical acclaim, becoming one of the best reviewed albums of the year in the United States."

I can honestly say I have never listened to a metal album from start to finish. The closest I have got is a few system of a down singles. Or is Black Sabbath considered metal? In which case I have listened to a metal album. Im out of my league here as you can probably tell, but pumped for this pick!

So im going in blind with nothing other than google and @Goatfish's clues to guide me. I will guess Machine Head - Burn My Eyes

I can honestly say I have never listened to a metal album from start to finish. The closest I have got is a few system of a down singles. Or is Black Sabbath considered metal? In which case I have listened to a metal album. Im out of my league here as you can probably tell, but pumped for this pick!

So im going in blind with nothing other than google and @Goatfish's clues to guide me. I will guess Machine Head - Burn My Eyes

Sabbath is considered as one of the first metal bands, sometimes even THE first.

I don’t really think that! I’m just referencing the famously low review of Sabbath’s first album by Rolling Stone magazine. I wore out my Sabbath cassette tape i had in high school

Oh, phew! Now that you mention it, that review rings a bell but it’s such a ridiculous comment I put it out of my mind :LOL:.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 4th themed hint #2 and probably the last one until Monday the 8th:

Red, White, and Blue. The three colors of the AMERICAN flag as well as three colors that appear on the album art of this album in some amount and some shade...

Sabbath is metal, of course, but their music is tame compared to what passes as metal today, isn't it?

Kind of depends on what you mean by "tame". Lyrically? Extreme metal, of course, but Sabbath got pretty dark at times. That's a very personal question that I think people even today could argue back and forth about.

Musically, there is TONS of heavy psych, modern stoner/doom (essentially retro proto-metal at times), power metal, traditional heavy metal, prog metal, etc etc etc that aren't any "heavier" in tone or sonically than Sabbath.

Oh, phew! Now that you mention it, that review rings a bell but it’s such a ridiculous comment I put it out of my mind :LOL:.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 4th themed hint #2 and probably the last one until Monday the 8th:

Red, White, and Blue. The three colors of the AMERICAN flag as well as three colors that appear on the album art of this album in some amount and some shade...

If that's an hint towards Sunbather that's a streched one ! :D

Also I like the AMERICAN in caps. Maybe leans towards a records released on American Recordings ?

Dillinger Four - Midwestern Song of the Americas

Red, white, and blue on the album cover

Critically Acclaimed in retrospect

Punk Rock so metal "aligned"

From America

Released in 1998
Is punk rock any more metal adjacent than any other kind of rock though? If so that blows the guessing wide open, right?

Back