Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

I think this album is something that has something for anyone who has ever had a feeling of loneliness or depression, and it's still presented in a way that isn't mopey and a drag.
This is why I think it's deafheaven (Sunbather, New Bermuda, or Ordinary Corrupt Human Love). I'm leaning specifically on new burmuda or sunbather since those deal a lot with depression and loneliness

If it's new burmuda im lucky since I already bought it a month or two ago

Ænima needs repressed so bad
DxREkyfWkAASDaE.jpg

but which deafheaven album is it.. sunbather or new burmuda? (unless goats gonna be a hipster and say road to judah)

its probably not Ordinary Corrupt Human Love because its a lot more focused on love songs than loneliness and depression.. new bermuda seems more likely

Ok I have two potential guesses that I'll throw out cause why not.

The first one is Overkill - W.F.O.
American band, metal, recently been repressed from the looks of it so fairly available. It was released July 15, 1994, I figured the specific date of July 1 had to be a hint in some way so I looked at albums that came out in July of 94. It's also the 25th anniversary this month to add a little more.

Second one, going off the "American Band" clue.

Rob Zombie covered "We're An American Band" and his most acclaimed and popular album Hellbilly Deluxe was recently repressed. It might also be White Zombie's Astro-Creep 2000 released in 1995, going off that logic.

Ill be forthright and say I will be quite disappointed if it is in fact deafheaven. I really like the Rob Zombie connection and would be much happier with either of those albums. I hope the crossover bit is a stronger incidence than deaf heaven is bringing to the table.

Rob Zombie covered "We're An American Band" and his most acclaimed and popular album Hellbilly Deluxe was recently repressed. It might also be White Zombie's Astro-Creep 2000 released in 1995, going off that logic.
the thing is i dunno if it would really appeal to a ton of people... zombie is a pretty niche artist and shock rock is like that

the thing is i dunno if it would really appeal to a ton of people... zombie is a pretty niche artist and shock rock is like that
Yeah true but I would say Deafheaven doesn't have any more crossover appeal, the vocals / song lengths alone would probably turn a lot of audiences off. Zombie is a bit easier to digest with somewhat catchy hooks (for a metal act at least) and the industrial influences in his music.

The retrospective acclaim bit leads me to believe it might not be Deafheaven. While they're probably the most critically acclaimed metal-influenced band active right now, they've also only been around less than a decade and Sunbather specifically dropped in 2013, six years for me is hard to say its gotten "retrospective acclaim". I feel like at least ten years should have passed for it to count for that, but that is purely my opinion and shouldn't really impact the guessing going forward

Back