Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

Is punk rock any more metal adjacent than any other kind of rock though? If so that blows the guessing wide open, right?
I would say in particular this album is pretty dirty and almost metal-ish

EDIT: also I don't know why he would even include metal adjacent in the clues if it wasn't a direct metal album.

If that's an hint towards Sunbather that's a streched one ! :D

Also I like the AMERICAN in caps. Maybe leans towards a records released on American Recordings ?
Yeah, I can't make it fit, unless that's a liiiiitle bit purpley in the bottom right of Sunbather. Maybe New Bermuda though? It has various colors in the mask/face. What do you think @duke86fan?

Goat may be including the whole package in album art so it is harder to be sure about the inner jackets and inside of gatefold as discogs doesn't always include those.

Yeah, I can't make it fit, unless that's a liiiiitle bit purpley in the bottom right of Sunbather. Maybe New Bermuda though? It has various colors in the mask/face. What do you think @duke86fan?

Goat may be including the whole package in album art so it is harder to be sure about the inner jackets and inside of gatefold as discogs doesn't always include those.
I'm starting to doubt sunbather as well...

Having almost no experience with the subject, could anyone tell me why lots of metalheads seem to hate Deafheaven?
I'm not a metal head by any means, I don't enjoy them because of the homophobic nonsense the guitarist spewed that everyone seems to have forgotten and forgiven.

I find their music way more appealing than the vocals. The vocals are .... a lot.

I'm not a metal head by any means, I don't enjoy them because of the homophobic nonsense the guitarist spewed that everyone seems to have forgotten and forgiven.

I find their music way more appealing than the vocals. The vocals are .... a lot.
That's unfortunate, and understandable.

Yeah I had to give it a listen back when they were critical darlings that year and that same sentiment is pretty much all I remember. Dunno if you saw my hot take in that thread but that's something I almost always struggle with when it comes to metal.

Yeah I had to give it a listen back when they were critical darlings that year and that same sentiment is pretty much all I remember. Dunno if you saw my hot take in that thread but that's something I almost always struggle with when it comes to metal.
Harsh vocals are incredibly case by case for me. Some bands can absolutely sell it for me like Gojira, Deafheaven, or Lamb of God. Meanwhile others like Cannibal Corpse and Deathspell Omega just sound too much like noise for me to enjoy anything.

I absolutely agree with that take. There are so many metal songs that I hear that I enjoy - until they start the "satan is possessing me" vocals. Lol.

Having almost no experience with the subject, could anyone tell me why lots of metalheads seem to hate Deafheaven?

From a metal fan's perspective on their music (I was unaware of the problematic statements until today that @Teeeee mentioned above, so maybe there are other reasons people hate them too):

There are a few camps on this.

1. Metalheads who HATE them because they can't stand any scent of core or post elements in their music. They are close-minded and metal elitists.

2. Metalheads who like their stuff on its own merit and make unbiased judgments based on how the music makes them feel regardless of any genre restrictions.

3. Metalheads who are aggravated by the press coverage Deafheaven got because they have some posty stuff in the music so people actually listened to a full metal album for a change and crowned them as saviors of a dying genre (totally false and irritating). They don't actually hate Deafheaven, but resent the undue attention heaped on them when what they are doing isn't all that fancy or worthy of the hyperbole of being a savior of black metal. I happen to fall into this camp.

From a metal fan's perspective on their music (I was unaware of the problematic statements until today that @Teeeee mentioned above, so maybe there are other reasons people hate them too):

There are a few camps on this.

1. Metalheads who HATE them because they can't stand any scent of core or post elements in their music. They are close-minded and metal elitists.

2. Metalheads who like their stuff on its own merit and make unbiased judgments based on how the music makes them feel regardless of any genre restrictions.

3. Metalheads who are aggravated by the press coverage Deafheaven got because they have some posty stuff in the music so people actually listened to a full metal album for a change and crowned them as saviors of a dying genre (totally false and irritating). They don't actually hate Deafheaven, but resent the undue attention heaped on them when what they are doing isn't all that fancy or worthy of the hyperbole of being a savior of black metal. I happen to fall into this camp.
so judging on you not loving deafheaven, is this not the AOTM?

Back