Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 14 - August 2020 /// Fugazi - In on the Kill Taker

Go for it, very much appreciated. Feel free to go full albums, it's quicker and easier!

Well, they've got 15 studio albums at this point, and they're distinct enough that each one has something fun to offer.

Here's a career-overview Spotify playlist: 17 songs in 47 minutes, and I consciously avoided many of my personal favorites so it's not just a best-of. Yes, I keep it on hand.

If you're looking for full album suggestions:

Reveille (2002)
Milk Man (2004)
The Runners Four (2005)
Friend Opportunity (2007)
Breakup Song (2012)
La Isla Bonita (2014)

Expect noise, chaos, improvisation and catchy melodies, often simultaneously.

I also recommend this live set they did for Juan's Basement:

Well, they've got 15 studio albums at this point, and they're distinct enough that each one has something fun to offer.

Here's a career-overview Spotify playlist: 17 songs in 47 minutes, and I consciously avoided many of my personal favorites so it's not just a best-of. Yes, I keep it on hand.

If you're looking for full album suggestions:

Reveille (2002)
Milk Man (2004)
The Runners Four (2005)
Friend Opportunity (2007)
Breakup Song (2012)
La Isla Bonita (2014)

Expect noise, chaos, improvisation and catchy melodies, often simultaneously.

I also recommend this live set they did for Juan's Basement:

Legend. Many, many thanks!

On with my discography project:
STEADY DIet OF NOTHING: I think the production is not the best and its their least complex and inventing, most straightforward rock record. That said, it's much better than I remembered it to be. The middle run of songs from nice new outfit till runaway return is stellar.

@Thackeraye already said all there us to say about iotkt.

RED MEDICINE: They come out guns blazing with Do you like ne and bed for scraping but after that I find that record meanders aimlessly for a while before finishing with a four song run of more conventional fugazi songs. Kind of the opposite of STEADY Diet. Here the middle part finds them experimenting with new sounds . I just don't find on this record Iit leads to very good songs. Also this more experimental middle part feels disconnected from the start and finish of the record. Still my least favorite fugazi record.
Hopefully manage to listen to the last two later this week

This album rocks so hard.

OaeoOSu.jpg

Out of interest, is there anyone not liking this? Seems to be a "nostalgia" pick for a lot of folk, but is anyone just not getting into it?

I never listened to Fugazi. I know they existed but my mind automatically created this vision of Fugazi as Blink 182 but with the clothes on and more serious lyrics.
So, you can see why I never cared about them.
But I'll take this post as a challenge and I'll give this album a listen, maybe tomorrow (I should stop listening to Folklore a bit) and I'll let you know.

End Hits: This is where I think the failures from Red Medicine paid off. They were now able to insert those melodic parts more seamlessly into their sound. Take the almost jazzy instrumental parts of opener Break or the lingering guitar melodies in close captioned. The rhythm section seems much more present again, as well.Also the two slower songs most most reminiscent of red medicine (Floating Boy, pink Frosty) are sequenced very well into the album. Recap Modotti and No Surprise are as close as Fugazi got to Indie Rock and Five Corporations, Caustic Acrostic or Foreman's Dog would not be out of place on in on the kill taker. All in all an album I should have listened to more. Probably there most versatile record.

The argument: their swansong was another strong one. a short drony intro and 10great songs. Full Disclosure and Epic Problem shows them at their most aggressive since steady diet. And you may hate me for that but theverses on opener Cashout and closer the Argument sound like californication era chillIpeppers to me except then fugazi take the songs were no peppers havegone before. Life and limb, the kill and strangelight show that they were really writing great slower , more restrained songs by that time as well. The melodic vocal lines in the latter half of night shop are surprisingly gorgeous.

Overall after relistening to it all still a remarkable discography. Still steady diet and red medicine remain the weakest albums I their discography, with steady diet being much better than I remembered. End Hits was the album that I did not remember as being as good as it was upon relistening. If you like @Thackeraye rotm and want it expanded into a more melodic sound go for end hits and the argument, if you want like the more concise aggressive sound more, go for the first eps or repeater and steady diet after that.

Edit: I am done taking your thread hostage, @Thackeraye . Sorry for that

End Hits: This is where I think the failures from Red Medicine paid off. They were now able to insert those melodic parts more seamlessly into their sound. Take the almost jazzy instrumental parts of opener Break or the lingering guitar melodies in close captioned. The rhythm section seems much more present again, as well.Also the two slower songs most most reminiscent of red medicine (Floating Boy, pink Frosty) are sequenced very well into the album. Recap Modotti and No Surprise are as close as Fugazi got to Indie Rock and Five Corporations, Caustic Acrostic or Foreman's Dog would not be out of place on in on the kill taker. All in all an album I should have listened to more. Probably there most versatile record.

The argument: their swansong was another strong one. a short drony intro and 10great songs. Full Disclosure and Epic Problem shows them at their most aggressive since steady diet. And you may hate me for that but theverses on opener Cashout and closer the Argument sound like californication era chillIpeppers to me except then fugazi take the songs were no peppers havegone before. Life and limb, the kill and strangelight show that they were really writing great slower , more restrained songs by that time as well. The melodic vocal lines in the latter half of night shop are surprisingly gorgeous.

Overall after relistening to it all still a remarkable discography. Still steady diet and red medicine remain the weakest albums I their discography, with steady diet being much better than I remembered. End Hits was the album that I did not remember as being as good as it was upon relistening. If you like @Thackeraye rotm and want it expanded into a more melodic sound go for end hits and the argument, if you want like the more concise aggressive sound more, go for the first eps or repeater and steady diet after that.

Edit: I am done taking your thread hostage, @Thackeraye . Sorry for that
@Jan - no need to apologise! These have been amazing, and I agree with everything you've said. Thanks so much for taking the time to do this.

For anyone finding Fugazi for the first time, the last paragraph above is spot on. It's one of the reasons I picked IotKT, as it's the perfect mid point between the early and late period sound of the band. For me, both sides have their merits, and I think in some ways the final 2 albums don't get the recognition they deserve.

So...
Is this punk? I have no idea about punk. But I this is too... elaborated to be punk.
The music is good, the guitar player(s?) is really good. But the vocals... Not my taste. I tried to get used to it, and I found it more tolerable when he is singing, but then he starts screaming and I'm saying "No no no" like a conservative 50 year-old woman.
The first half was more interesting, but after the long song (there's a seven minutes long, I have no idea about the titles) my attention began to fade. But this last thing was just me, no the album itself.

So, for the first time listening to Fugazi, it was interesting. But I guess the singing style is all over their discography, right? I don't think it's the best entry to punk music either, probably I should've started with something simpler.

For those that follow threads via notifications, please go give @Yer Ol' Uncle D some love over on his thread for the September AoTM! Get your guessing hats back on!

So...
Is this punk? I have no idea about punk. But I this is too... elaborated to be punk.
The music is good, the guitar player(s?) is really good. But the vocals... Not my taste. I tried to get used to it, and I found it more tolerable when he is singing, but then he starts screaming and I'm saying "No no no" like a conservative 50 year-old woman.
The first half was more interesting, but after the long song (there's a seven minutes long, I have no idea about the titles) my attention began to fade. But this last thing was just me, no the album itself.

So, for the first time listening to Fugazi, it was interesting. But I guess the singing style is all over their discography, right? I don't think it's the best entry to punk music either, probably I should've started with something simpler.
Just happy you gave it a go! Thanks for taking the time!

Is it punk? Kind of not, but kind of, if you know what I mean. The lineage of the earlier punk bands that the members were in is still there I think, but the music is definitely different. It still has the punk power, but maybe isn't as full-on as "punk".

Totally get not being into the vocals. The vocals here are my bag, but there are certain types of metal I just can never get into because of the vocals. I'd actually give the Coriky album linked in the supplementary pages a go, as it has similar musical lineage, but isn't as shouty. I'd maybe try an album called Join Us by Bluetip - they were on Dischord as well (possibly my favourite band on the label), who didn't do the shouty thing as much. You may actually also go for mid to late 90's emo as well - Very Emergency by The Promise Ring and Frame & Canvas by Braid would be good first choices.

Back