Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 14 - August 2020 /// Fugazi - In on the Kill Taker

Just happy you gave it a go! Thanks for taking the time!

Is it punk? Kind of not, but kind of, if you know what I mean. The lineage of the earlier punk bands that the members were in is still there I think, but the music is definitely different. It still has the punk power, but maybe isn't as full-on as "punk".

Totally get not being into the vocals. The vocals here are my bag, but there are certain types of metal I just can never get into because of the vocals. I'd actually give the Coriky album linked in the supplementary pages a go, as it has similar musical lineage, but isn't as shouty. I'd maybe try an album called Join Us by Bluetip - they were on Dischord as well (possibly my favourite band on the label), who didn't do the shouty thing as much. You may actually also go for mid to late 90's emo as well - Very Emergency by The Promise Ring and Frame & Canvas by Braid would be good first choices.

I'll check those bands you listed. Though it didn't blow my mind, it certainly made me curious about this style of music.
Something I forgot to say is that I really like the cover, it's a great picture.

I'll check those bands you listed. Though it didn't blow my mind, it certainly made me curious about this style of music.
Something I forgot to say is that I really like the cover, it's a great picture.
This and all following albums have covers of this style. They worked a lot with jem Cohen . I do not know if this cover is by him as well . Also try Smart went crazy - Con art. ( the song good day is maybe my favourite track from discord. ) q and not u may also be a band you might want to check out.
Edit : the cover art us by Cohen. Here is what Wikipedia has to say

Filmmaker Jem Cohen, a long-time friend and collaborator of the band, was responsible for some of the album's art design and packaging. Found pieces of text and photographs were used to make up the overall layout. The cover image, showing a burned-out gold Polaroid of the Washington Monument, was found by Cohen in the street. The inner sleeve was a piece that Jeremy Blake,[10] a friend of the band, found tacked to a light post in Chicago. The text on the cover side margin and back cover were also found on the ground in New York City by Cohen and contained the phrase "...so I could have tried to put a stop to the hater, the adversary workers, iniquity evildoers. This is big because people in high places are in on the kill taker

What Downtown Boys album did you get????
I grabbed the Full Communism record after you recommended it as a Bandcamp day grab! I enjoyed it (my wife did not - she seems okay with Fugazi and X-Ray, but she said Downtown Boys was to screw my... I’d queued up Bikini Kill but figured I best not...)

Also, I’ll be grabbing that Coriky album next time my local stocks it (or if I get antsy, I’ll order it). I’ve become quite smitten with it and have been resisting the urge to pick up the rest of the Fugazi discography. The fact that I obliterated the budget is part and the fact that I want to give In on the Kill Taker proper attention.

Reactions: Jan
Also, I’ll be grabbing that Coriky album next time my local stocks it (or if I get antsy, I’ll order it). I’ve become quite smitten with it and have been resisting the urge to pick up the rest of the Fugazi discography. The fact that I obliterated the budget is part and the fact that I want to give In on the Kill Taker proper attention.
This process has shown me that this stuff sounds great on vinyl, so I'll be buying them all up. Just got End Hits, and it sounds glorious.

This process has shown me that this stuff sounds great on vinyl, so I'll be buying them all up. Just got End Hits, and it sounds glorious.
There’s a whole series on Sound of Vinyl’s YouTube channel by Henry Rollins. He talks about his favorite albums, how to take care of vinyl, and the sound of vinyl. I especially found this one enlightening in that getting into Punk music really drove his obsession:

I looked through the series and realised I liked about 100 of the albums they covered and wished I never knew it existed....
Consider your arm twisted:

Consider your arm twisted:

I saw your thread, that’s what caused me to check out the series’ wiki page and then go uh oh! Maybe the AoTM and the OK Computer ones might be the right jump in point for me...

Back