Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 11 - May 2020 /// Kendra Morris - Mockingbird

aw I looked for a note spot when checking out and didn't see one, wasn't clever enough to find a different route ha

apparently something is supposed to pop up when you add the album to the cart (you can see what's supposed to happen if you add that foolin' around 7" to your cart, for example), but for some reason it isn't. just email her at that email address above and i'm sure she'll hook you up.

apparently something is supposed to pop up when you add the album to the cart (you can see what's supposed to happen if you add that foolin' around 7" to your cart, for example), but for some reason it isn't. just email her at that email address above and i'm sure she'll hook you up.

I used the contact link on the site, hopefully that's the same thing. I added the limited EP and asked if she would sign.

She's live on insta right now

it is live- kendra will be registering and answering questions as they come in. can't say whether she'll answer all of them or not, but she'll be on here interacting with members. at least that's the plan.

if you don't think you can be on here or don't want to participate but have a question, by all means ask away now- i can certainly mention to her there may be questions posted already she can answer if she wants.

it is live- kendra will be registering and answering questions as they come in. can't say whether she'll answer all of them or not, but she'll be on here interacting with members. at least that's the plan.

if you don't think you can be on here or don't want to participate but have a question, by all means ask away now- i can certainly mention to her there may be questions posted already she can answer if she wants.
Thanks!
Should be fun!

alright, were just under 24 hours away from our scheduled AMA with May 2020 Needles & Grooves AotM artist KENDRA MORRIS, whose album 'Mockingbird' we are highlighting this month!

we will be conducting the AMA in this thread, separate from the main thread, for ease of use and visibility purposes.

feel free to ask questions ahead of time, especially if you are unable to join during the actual AMA session.

i'd encourage you to read through the aotm thread starting HERE, to see some other things kendra has been involved with and see what your fellow forum members have been saying.

i feel i took a gamble choosing 'Mockingbird' over choosing her original material on 'Banshee' or 'Babble' to use for this AotM. i knew i was going to ask for her permission to use the album, and debated whether doing so would possibly lessen her interest in allowing us to have the album since it's not her songwriting we're highlighting. but kendra has been nothing but gracious and supportive, and i really hope our community can return the favor by checking out her other material based on their experience with 'Mockingbird' and engaging courteously with her here during this AMA.

KENDRA MORRIS - MOCKINGBIRD

51DZyuXlN9L.jpg

Wax Poetics Records ‎– WPR028
Released: 2013

Purchase a vinyl copy of the record DIRECT FROM KENDRA for $25 plus shipping at

If you are considering purchasing the record (and I really hope you do), please note that Kendra Morris sells copies of this album and her other music/merch directly through her website. She will be mailing out the records herself. As she is in New York City, which as most everyone knows is currently one of the biggest hotbeds of covid and is in lockdown, she may not be able to ship orders as quickly as she would like.

To that end, she is offering to provide a free digital copy (320kbps mp3) of the album via a download link to you. In order to receive the download, pleasy copy your basic order information (like order # and time/date via email text/screenshot) and your email address and send to my PM inbox and I will share the link with you in a reply. This method will be quicker in getting the actual music to you than Kendra having to make time in her schedule to respond to everyone who orders.

Of course, you are free to purchase wherever you would like. It seems this can be had at most of the usual online shops for roughly similar prices. But I sure would love it if you purchased it from Kendra herself. She'll even sign the record if you'd like.

WHY I PICKED THIS RECORD

Kendra Morris' music blends genres - soul, rock, psychedelic, funk, and more - with a sound that is both retro and modern. My main goal here is to simply introduce her music to our community, one that I know would appreciate this type of sound, and then let you explore her catalog if you liked what you heard. I felt that by choosing 'Mockingbird', a full-on covers album, I'd give Needles & Grooves members a relatively accessible entry point into her overall sound and vocal talents as she interprets songs we all know and love. On top of that, I feel Kendra Morris is low-key one of the most hard working artists I follow, with her creative endeavors extending beyond just the music she produces.

When you listen to 'Mockingbird', I'd encourage you to do so on good headphones so you can hear her many vocal harmonies that aren't necessarily evident on computer speakers through Spotify/YouTube/etc. Afterward, explore her other music, from her debut 'Banshee', also on Wax Poetics, to her self-released Babble. She has numerous singles on Bandcamp and Soundcloud. There is a lot of Kendra Morris music out there, and hopefully your journey in discovering it all starts right now.

KENDRA MORRIS INFORMATION

Insta: KENDRA MORRIS (@kendramorris) • Instagram photos and videos
Twitter: KendraMorris (@KendraMorris) | Twitter
YouTube: Kendra Morris
Bandcamp: Ride On, by Kendra Morris
Facebook: Kendra Morris
Soundcloud:

NOTE: anyone that *does* purchase the 'Mockingbird' album from Kendra directly will be entered into a drawing to win a 'prize pack' of additional Kendra Morris music/merch. that is another reason i am requesting to be pm'd proof of ordering - so i can keep track of members who have bought the album. Deadline to buy/enter will be whenever the June AotM is announced.

This may produce an obvious answer, given some of the prolific artists you cover on Mockingbird, but who do you consider to be your musical inspirations, past and present? Any particular song/era/album that shaped you and your outlook?

Anyone that is able to pull off a soulful cover of a Metallica song is A-OK in my book.

1 joke question and 2 serious ones

1. I asked Nicole Atkins this, describe yourself in a SpongeBob quote.
2. How do you feel about the club and being picked as a ROTM even if it's not as official as vinyl me please
3. How much interest have you had in vinyl across your life, what was your favourite record to ever get

Back