Mark de Clive-Lowe: Ask Me Anything

I might not be able to attend the AMA unfortunately, but I do have a question so I will post it now.

Firstly Mark I just want to congratulate you on a fantastic set of albums. I have been aware of your music, mainly from your London break beat work and collaborations, and there's a clear and consistent thread of hybridity to the sounds you produce. Heritage still manages to mix genres and different types of music but seems like a much more personal project.. Did you find your approach to making Heritage was different to some of your other work? If so, did you find yourself learning something of, perhaps, your Japanese heritage that you weren't previously aware of? Thanks

May or may not be able to make it at that exact time based on my family responsibilities but I have a couple of basic questions - in case they aren't asked by someone else.

Mark, thanks for doing an AMA with us. I only came to know about you through this community. I think Heritage I & II are fantastic and that Ronin Arkestra is one of my favourite releases from this year.

Are you aware /following the modern Jazz revival movement in the U.K. & in London in particular? I see lots of similarities with your recent projects, especially the blending of hip hop & electronica with jazz. If so, what are some of your favourite artists from this scene and could we expect collaborations in the future?

I was also wondering, if no one has asked you this, what are your (let's say top 3) all time favourite albums?

Cheers!

Thanks Mark for taking the time out of your schedule to answer questions from the community!

Since these albums (I & II) are related to your heritage being split between New Zealand / Japan I would like to know more about your musical experience through those cultures.

I lived as an Expat in China for 4 years and found the music scene to be flourishing with talent yet people outside the country did not know much about what is going on.

While I think the American audience is more aware of music coming out of Japan, I am very curious about which albums or artists or songs from Japan & New Zealand influenced you the most while growing up? and how did these pieces of work influence the music you created on these albums.

Thanks again~

Last edited:
Question for Mark:

First of all, thank you so much for being here. I found about your music through this community, and I have both Heritage vinyl records on the way. While your music is beautiful and your albums are definitely worth picking up, it was actually seeing videos of your live performances that really sold me on your art. I think one cannot fully put into perspective what you're doing until you see the way you mix live instrumentation and sampling/digital manipulation. That being said, is there a balance between the live playing and the more electronic/sampling based elements you strive for when performing live? Do you sort of plan this beforehand, or do you just go with the flow, potentially letting a performance lean very heavily on either side on a given gig?

Thanks in advance, and please keep the fire coming!

Mark,

Congratulations on completing such a interesting and complex project like the two Heritage albums. When I see projects like this I marvel at the effort that it must take to put something like this together. There must have been some ups and downs.

Could you talk about a time when you experienced some adversity, on this project or just as an artist in general, and what you did to overcome it?

Also, I was around in LA when it was a jazz wasteland compared to what it is like now. What do you think has fostered this community? Who are some people behind the community that don't get the recognition they deserve?

Thanks for showing up and taking the time to answer our questions!

Last edited:
hello @Mark de Clive-Lowe... i have an interesting question for you

i've been loving the album and was wondering, what would you think are some good albums to listen to afterwards. whether they have been influences that inspired your album or other albums that are very similar. what albums would be good further listening material if you like these albums

Back