Needles & Grooves AoTM : General thread & archive

Woo! I'll admit to being a bit overwhelmed these days by, you know... the world we now live in. My life has been nuts. I am working from home, which for about a week seemed kind of cool, but wore thin pretty quick. My toddler is home with me a lot of the time which, don't get me wrong, is amazing, but also makes it difficult to be very productive. In any case, I debated punting here, but I am going all in. This may be EXACTLY the distraction I need and I've known the album since I threw my name in the hat when these forums were born. So, with that... the games will begin in a few weeks!

Woo! I'll admit to being a bit overwhelmed these days by, you know... the world we now live in. My life has been nuts. I am working from home, which for about a week seemed kind of cool, but wore thin pretty quick. My toddler is home with me a lot of the time which, don't get me wrong, is amazing, but also makes it difficult to be very productive. In any case, I debated punting here, but I am going all in. This may be EXACTLY the distraction I need and I've known the album since I threw my name in the hat when these forums were born. So, with that... the games will begin in a few weeks!
Good luck

First page updated, and next picker drawn :

View attachment 41162

Congrats @sjaygray !

I'll also went and drawn the July candidate, to get a step ahead :

View attachment 41163

Congrats @Alexander !

I'll get back to my tea mug, now. Have fun guys. :)

giphy.gif

I think we need a timely reminder of pretty much the only rule that we set out at the start.

The main rule is that the pick needs to be available to most of us in vinyl form without having to spend a fortune on Discogs to get it.

So a good rule of thumb is to check its availability on vinyl on the biggest retailers (Amazon US, UK, AUS for example) or on the artists website or bandcamp, that it does not cost way more than 30ish $/€/£ shipped internationally.

BTW, with Vol. 11 being announced this club is officially one year old, isn't it? Would y'all be down for a discussion/retrospective of the records we have featured? Not a ranking, but maybe do pick our "Biggest surprise", "Most spun", "Slow grower", etc.

I think with us starting on a half month numbered zero those french anarchists @Skalap and @ChristoBee have landed us with a 13 month first year 😂

BTW, with Vol. 11 being announced this club is officially one year old, isn't it? Would y'all be down for a discussion/retrospective of the records we have featured? Not a ranking, but maybe do pick our "Biggest surprise", "Most spun", "Slow grower", etc.
Yeah I fully intend to do this, going back through the first year of AOTMs and giving my thoughts on them and such. I think it will be fun to see everyone reminisce over them ^_^

Yeah I dont wanna rank them. Also because all of the AOTMs are so different, it's hard to compare them! I do think people are generally going to say which AOTM has been their favorite which I see no harm in

Neither do I, I just know, as I’m sure you do too, that by picking one you’re kinda putting a bit of yourself out there. I completely understand it not being the one someone picks as their favourite, or even it not being someone’s cup of tea. That said. I can‘t pretend I’d not be a little devastated if it was towards the bottom of a list or if someone called it shit.

Why not. I would like to know what you guys consider the second worst AoTM after Mark de Clive-Lowe.

Why not indeed, I’m embracing your anarchistic ways 😂

As for the second part, big of you to admit, but I think it’d be mean to say 🤪

I had Gloaming 3 and Heritage I on my end of year best of 2019 list. But I’ll be darned if I can remember now which of those I had ranked higher!

Anyway, I’m down for joining in on a retrospective. My thoughts are probably going to be slanted to the first half of the selections because I used to start from 0 and work my way up through all the previous picks to the newly announced album, then spin that one about 5 times. But then that got to be too time consuming.

Back