N&G Secret Santa

Santa's sleigh made a stop in Manhattan yesterday and let me tell you, the delivery was sweet indeed!

There's been a William Onyeabor sized hole in my collection for far too long and Santa delivered the goods! This compilation is a heaping handful of fire emojis and some of the funkiest shit ever put to wax. My wife is pretty stoked on this one as well!

The second record is something new to me, but I played a couple tracks on Spotify (I know, I know) and this is very much my jam. Looking forward to irritating the neighbors with some southern fried rockin vibes courtesy of Lee Bains III cranked all the way to 11!

Now, Santa, unless I missed it you didn't include a note so I had to use some serious sleuthing to discern your secret identity. The Lee Bains LP was the key to unraveling the mystery, as there's only two folks on the boards here that have mentioned this artist. Based on the tracking origin of the package I had a geographic target within which to search as well. Both people who've talked about Lee Bains III on the forum live in the state where the package originated from but one lives over 2 hours away from the origin city, so with a little additional digging and cross referencing old posts, I am pretty positive my thanks for this year's Secret Santa should go to none other than....

giphy.gif

@Yer Ol' Uncle D !!!!!

Thank you, you Fantastic Man. I sincerely appreciate the thoughtful gifts and I hope you have a wonderful holiday :)

View attachment 26837

(there was a felt slipmat in there, too!)
I’m fairly certain @High Rant District is a fan too. See them live if you can cause holy smokes!!!

So this is my first year participating in our community’s awesome Secret Santa tradition.

Para mi?
9972F90A-3419-406C-9499-2E0A75C5D2B2.jpeg
Tasty treats!
34AB8D6C-FD5A-4168-914A-FEE9BDA47F08.jpeg
wait, this is not edible... it’s a... holy crap it’s a concha 45 adapter and I’m in love!!!!!
579AD600-FA23-4752-8CB3-03B88EC72ABD.jpeg
but we’re not done, some local chicano soul (which hits me in my chicana heart feels, yo)
A6C75506-C122-49D1-B229-B500875CF9A6.jpeg
And still more!
7A126E8F-F1D2-4FB6-96D5-3B069596D29A.jpeg
I don’t have any of these but they hit all the right @mcherry beats. The Harding for my soul, the Alvvays for my dreams, and the Christian Death for the teenage goth in me that will never die.

Santa @bfly! I love you! 💕

OK. As I mentioned earlier, my Santa did a great job! First, he selected two items off my Discogs wantlist, but pretty out in left field. First is Pauline Murray and the Invisible Girls S/T, which is a pretty damn obscure, female-fronted 1980 post-punk album featuring members of Penetration, Buzzcocks, New Order, and Durutti Column. Produced by Martin Hannett of Factory Records infamy. I honestly don't remember how I came across the album or why I added it to my wantlist, but hearing it for the first time ever is quite a treat! It's... bracing.

Second, Martini Ranch, Holy Cow! This is a very trivia-worthy 1988 album featuring actor Bill Paxton and guest spots by members of DEVO, the B-52s, The Time and... Judge Reinhold. I'm a huge DEVO fan, so I've always meant to check this out. It sounds pretty much EXACTLY like you would expect. The songwriting is a little weak, but if you're a fan of mid-career DEVO, here is some more of that!

Santa included a 7" from his favorite group Orchestro Poly Rythmo de Cotonou, an African group I have never encountered before. This is a sweet slice of shakin' that ass. PLUS... I think the band name gives us an important clue to the identity of my Santa...

Finally, my favorite gift, the 2LP Ill Considered Christmas set. These are excellent, trippy, fusion-y, contemporary jazz renditions of holiday standards. Apparently one of only 500 pressed. We definitely enjoyed spinning both discs front to back in front of the Christmas tree the other night. This will stay in my regular holiday rotation!

Santa included a nice, hand-written letter explaining each of the records and giving a few suggestions for further listening. I appreciate all the thought and enthusiasm that obviously went into the choice of records. I couldn't have asked for a better Secret Santa. Thank you, stranger, and happy holidays!

Attachments

• D4E2A12F-CDD6-4066-9FEE-9178C5C4C837.jpeg
    D4E2A12F-CDD6-4066-9FEE-9178C5C4C837.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 16
So this is my first year participating in our community’s awesome Secret Santa tradition.

Para mi?
View attachment 26905
Tasty treats!
View attachment 26906
wait, this is not edible... it’s a... holy crap it’s a concha 45 adapter and I’m in love!!!!!
View attachment 26907
but we’re not done, some local chicano soul (which hits me in my chicana heart feels, yo)
View attachment 26908
And still more!
View attachment 26909
I don’t have any of these but they hit all the right @mcherry beats. The Harding for my soul, the Alvvays for my dreams, and the Christian Death for the teenage goth in me that will never die.

Santa @bfly! I love you! 💕
m'lady @mcherry! glad everything made it to you and that you might connect with some of it.
hope you kick that bug and get to feelin' right as rain soon! thank you for always being a beacon in this place, all the holiday wishes to you and yours 🎄💜

View attachment 26892
Thank you @Matt M! I’ve not heard either of these before so I am excited. The Santa drawing will be framed and the little incense log cabin was a nice touch.
I hope you enjoy both, a couple of my favorite soulful things this year. Surprised Santa was from my Daughter, and I figure everyone can use a cabin with yule logs! It's what gets me going at Christmas each year!

OK. As I mentioned earlier, my Santa did a great job! First, he selected two items off my Discogs wantlist, but pretty out in left field. First is Pauline Murray and the Invisible Girls S/T, which is a pretty damn obscure, female-fronted 1980 post-punk album featuring members of Penetration, Buzzcocks, New Order, and Durutti Column. Produced by Martin Hannett of Factory Records infamy. I honestly don't remember how I came across the album or why I added it to my wantlist, but hearing it for the first time ever is quite a treat! It's... bracing.

Second, Martini Ranch, Holy Cow! This is a very trivia-worthy 1988 album featuring actor Bill Paxton and guest spots by members of DEVO, the B-52s, The Time and... Judge Reinhold. I'm a huge DEVO fan, so I've always meant to check this out. It sounds pretty much EXACTLY like you would expect. The songwriting is a little weak, but if you're a fan of mid-career DEVO, here is some more of that!

Santa included a 7" from his favorite group Orchestro Poly Rythmo de Cotonou, an African group I have never encountered before. This is a sweet slice of shakin' that ass. PLUS... I think the band name gives us an important clue to the identity of my Santa...

Finally, my favorite gift, the 2LP Ill Considered Christmas set. These are excellent, trippy, fusion-y, contemporary jazz renditions of holiday standards. Apparently one of only 500 pressed. We definitely enjoyed spinning both discs front to back in front of the Christmas tree the other night. This will stay in my regular holiday rotation!

Santa included a nice, hand-written letter explaining each of the records and giving a few suggestions for further listening. I appreciate all the thought and enthusiasm that obviously went into the choice of records. I couldn't have asked for a better Secret Santa. Thank you, stranger, and happy holidays!
Great to see they arrived safe and sound. It was a lot of fun doing this - I aimed for a balance of stuff you wanted and stuff I love. Enjoy!
To my own Santa, I'm heading to the UK on Saturday and excited to see if something has arrived. This really is an amazing thread - I've had so much fun seeing what others got ❤️

I’m fairly certain @High Rant District is a fan too. See them live if you can cause holy smokes!!!

Yep. This.

You're liable to find Lee standing next to you in the crowd killing it as much as he's onstage killing it during their show.

A snippet from the night I introduced @Lee Newman to LBIII&TGF...

Last edited:
Great to see they arrived safe and sound. It was a lot of fun doing this - I aimed for a balance of stuff you wanted and stuff I love. Enjoy!
To my own Santa, I'm heading to the UK on Saturday and excited to see if something has arrived. This really is an amazing thread - I've had so much fun seeing what others got ❤

Nailed it! Travel safely!

My Secret Santa gift came today and I am really floored by the picks.! I've wanted Ladysmith Black Mambazo for a while now and my Santa was able to track down a stellar copy! The two he picked out look right up my alley and I've never heard of them at all. I'm not a fan of "out there" jazz but I love me some soul jazz and jazz adjacent music. Bossanova jazz sounds right up my alley. I am also a huge trip hop fan and the Birthh album looks like something that slipped under my radar. Any label named after a Pet Shop Boys lyric is awesome in my book.

Edit: Forgot to include photos of the "We Were Never Being Boring" record label stickers.

Thank you @Colonel_Angus ! Ya done good.

IMG-4255 r.jpg

Back