N&G Secret Santa 2023

Would you be interested in participating in Secret Santa this year?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Hell yeah, brother

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Is the Pope Catholic?

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • No, I am the Grinch

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I asked my brother if he listens to XTC or has heard Apple Venus:

View attachment 190216

I'll get it on the table today!

Drums And Wires is probably my #2 - but my ranking seems to change whenever I think about it.

Their stuff is primarily UK based - Burning Shed is where it is sold out of, but some local US stores may eventually get the releases if they know about them. I actually have a shipment from Burning Shed out for delivery today with their reissue of their "3D EP" and a BluRay release of their 1984 album "The Big Express".

View attachment 190208

It has arrived! Killer picks from @LeeVing Thank you! Excellent work! Excited to get into some of your favorites. 🙏🎅
easily one of the best XTC albums -- although in fairness you can say that about almost every XTC album and be right. they were a band that really went out on a high note (this was their penultimate album and is very acoustic and orchestral; their other stuff tends to be more electric). i will never understand how they didn't get to be as big as the beatles

Hopping on the XTC train - I saw EXTC earlier this year (which has Terry Chambers, drummer on their early albums through Mummer I think) and it was a surprisingly great show. Well worth catching, really fun to hear the songs live with a participatory crowd.

Hopping on the XTC train - I saw EXTC earlier this year (which has Terry Chambers, drummer on their early albums through Mummer I think) and it was a surprisingly great show. Well worth catching, really fun to hear the songs live with a participatory crowd.

Prior to EXTC, Terry Chambers and Colin Moulding released an EP and a live album via a band called TC & I - both are really good.

And my package from Santa has arrived -

20231212_102504.jpg

20231212_102728.jpg

I have to say I'm happy that I know nothing about any of these bands/artists...so it will be nice to go in blind.

Thanks very much Santa !!!

(aka @wokeupnew - I had a feeling the shipment coming from Burlington, Vermont was you - as I remember being your Santa a few years ago.)

View attachment 190224

View attachment 190225

I have to say I'm happy that I know nothing about any of these bands/artists...so it will be nice to go in blind.

(aka @wokeupnew - I had a feeling the shipment coming from Burlington, Vermont was you - as I remember being your Santa a few years ago.)
Oh man, that Julia Jacklin is phenomenal. I remember when I first discovered that album, started an absolutely love affair for me.

View attachment 190224

View attachment 190225

That craft spells is really damn good, I remember getting it as a secret Santa a few years ago and really liking it

View attachment 190224

View attachment 190225

Awesome!! Glad it got there all in one piece. Enjoy!
That craft spells is really damn good, I remember getting it as a secret Santa a few years ago and really liking it
That may have been me a few years ago now that I think about it :eek: I didn't realize I had gifted it before lol

Awesome!! Glad it got there all in one piece. Enjoy!

That may have been me a few years ago now that I think about it :eek: I didn't realize I had gifted it before lol
LOL! I realized this year that I gifted @ranbalam and @Rip_City both Jim O’Rourke’s Bad Timing as their Secret Santa’s. I also got both Pavement records but different ones.

Someone is about to receive something, jus' sayin'.

Somehow this managed to get in yesterday, despite the intercom being down (again) and our postal service supposedly suspended...
20231212_110819.jpg

Thank you Santa @Skalap!! 🎅
I love that the Audiopile cats printed your note for inclusion too - they continue to go above and beyond.
Absolutely inspired and awesome choice on your part - definitely grateful you didn't bother with the Wantlist! Before the arrival of my WABB bundle yesterday I only had one J-Jazz record (my first ever PIF), now I have five(!) and am thrilled this humble collection now includes one you consider so important. I've been wanting to dig further into the Japanese side of things but have often felt a little daunted by lack of familiarity and where to start. This week definitely seems to be telling me it is time...

Looking incredibly forward to naptime for the 2-year-old so I can put this on and give it an undistracted listen 🎶

Thank you again and happiest of holidays to you and yours! 💜

Somehow this managed to get in yesterday, despite the intercom being down (again) and our postal service supposedly suspended...
View attachment 190233

Thank you Santa @Skalap!! 🎅
I love that the Audiopile cats printed your note for inclusion too - they continue to go above and beyond.
Absolutely inspired and awesome choice on your part - definitely grateful you didn't bother with the Wantlist! Before the arrival of my WABB bundle yesterday I only had one J-Jazz record (my first ever PIF), now I have five(!) and am thrilled this humble collection now includes one you consider so important. I've been wanting to dig further into the Japanese side of things but have often felt a little daunted by lack of familiarity and where to start. This week definitely seems to be telling me it is time...

Looking incredibly forward to naptime for the 2-year-old so I can put this on and give it an undistracted listen 🎶

Thank you again and happiest of holidays to you and yours! 💜

Great to read you have the package in hands. I was a bit worried after reading your post while knowing package was considere as delivered. Audiophile people were great indeed.

It is on my fav in this serie and I hope you'll love as much as I do. I first thought about going with your want list but then decided to go with something different. Every record from this serie is great but there are very different kind of jazz. In my opinion it's a good way to start digging into j-jazz , BBE compilations are another great way.
Let me know one you'll have time to play this album.

EDIT: it was great to have you as my Santee :)

no problem giving with people giving a gift again, its a great album that I really liked, I liked all my secret Santa gifts from TVU to wild nothings to jon hopkins to lil peep to boris to chairlift to even that jason feathers album that's kinda polarising (I know I did a status mentioning how many times I got animal collective but that was never an insult, just a curiosity that they are a band I really like but only bought a record on my own once)

everyone gives out great gifts on secret santa

Well, this was super exciting to see in my mailbox!!

Thanks so much, Santa! I'm not familiar with either of these albums but the liner notes and a quick online search tells me they look like the exact kind of music that I will enjoy! Polish and Brazilian jazz, Santa really traveled for these!

Looking forward to digging into them over the weekend! Huge thanks again!!

View attachment 190177

Ho ho ho, Happy Listening! 🎅

Apologies for the lack of personal touch of a note or any non-record goodies. By nature of ordering from where I did (which is where I had to order my own copies, as nobody around here had them!) I didn't really have the luxury - it would have been too time-consuming and expensive to ship them here and repackage them to ship back to the UK. Rest assured, however, the selections were very much personalized from me to you!

I knew you were very well-steeped in British and American Jazz, but didn't notice any Polish Jazz in your collection, so figured I'd get you started over there - I'm still a bit of a neophyte myself but Sneaky Jesus has definitely been one of my favourites so far! I agree with @Poly-Rythmo that For Joseph Riddle is an even better album than this one, but a little trickier to find in the places I was looking for in this endeavor. That said, this new one is also a fantastic outing.

I figured Sun Ra in Brasil would probably give me away as your Santa but since most of our earliest conversations were about Sun Ra, I definitely wanted to get you a little something from the Omniverse! This second (so far) of the Red Hot + Ra compilations featured almost entirely artists who were unfamiliar to me but made for a fun and exciting journey through the sounds of Brazil and Sun Ra coming together! It's pretty accessible Ra for the uninitiated too, so you should be able to play it in mixed company. ;)

There ought to be another little something something headed your way (another exciting stop on the international journey for your ears!) but I'm not sure if it's shipped already without notification, or simply not shipped yet - so it may be a surprise to both of us when you get it! :LOL:

In the meanwhile, happiest of holidays to you and yours! 💜

Who knew that on @TenderLovingKiller®’s birthday you’d be the one receiving a gift!

Custom painted artwork 😱

IMG_1114.jpeg
IMG_1116.jpeg

also a beanie hat from Hi-Voltage that I realized I didn’t photo because I was busy wearing it when I opened these!

Some toffee candy 🍬 delicious!IMG_1117.jpeg
Very neatly wrapped
IMG_1118.jpeg

And 3 records that I wasn’t expecting. One I’m familiar with but two others I’ve never heard before. Very excited to give them a spin. Thank you and happy birthday @TenderLovingKiller®

IMG_1119.jpeg

I'm feeling a bit guilty seeing all these three-album packages- I was torn between going the Amazon route and getting three for my Santee or going to my local and only being to fit two in the budget. I went for the latter, to my Santee's detriment (sorry!).
no problem with that, just as long as they are gifts you feel like your santee will really like there will be no problems.. i actually only got 2 even just using amazon so I kinda blinged mine out with some streaming recommendations as well

I'm feeling a bit guilty seeing all these three-album packages- I was torn between going the Amazon route and getting three for my Santee or going to my local and only being to fit two in the budget. I went for the latter, to my Santee's detriment (sorry!).

I only received one album, and couldn't be happier!

Back