N&G Secret Santa 2022

Everybody's getting these cool packages and all I got was a letter.

...for now!

Receiving a letter from an unknown address right around now certainly raised my eyebrow... No spoilers here until the packages arrive, but I will say that Santa absolutely knocked it out of the park, and I appreciate the reasoning behind the choices - one of which I share similar feelings and experiences to my Santa with, and the other one I was literally just wishing I had to play yesterday, so in a few more days I'll be able to scratch that itch!

I'm also pretty sure I've sussed out your secret, Santa.

Thank you. So much.
And more gratitude and excitement to come when they arrive!

I'll be compulsively checking the mail room in the meanwhile...
daffy-duck.gif

Santa arrived surprisingly early for me! I was intrigued when I opened the package and saw it was in gift wrap. How it passed the post office we'll never know, but anyway...

yLnl2LP.jpg

I unwrapped the vinyl shaped gift to find a nice pair of albums I've been meaning to check out! Secaucus was an album I put on my Discogs wantlist after checking out a few songs from it I really enjoyed. And the Curtis Knight and the Squires (featuring a little known guitarist named Jimi Hendrix) will be a great listen.

PvBcJAy.jpg

Thank you for the vinyl, looking forward to spinning these! And thanks to the N&G community for organizing this and being a generous group of vinyl lovers!

(P.S.: My Santee will get their gifts sent out soon, I'm waiting for one more item I ordered for you.)

Everybody's getting these cool packages and all I got was a letter.

...for now!

Receiving a letter from an unknown address right around now certainly raised my eyebrow... No spoilers here until the packages arrive, but I will say that Santa absolutely knocked it out of the park, and I appreciate the reasoning behind the choices - one of which I share similar feelings and experiences to my Santa with, and the other one I was literally just wishing I had to play yesterday, so in a few more days I'll be able to scratch that itch!

I'm also pretty sure I've sussed out your secret, Santa.

Thank you. So much.
And more gratitude and excitement to come when they arrive!

I'll be compulsively checking the mail room in the meanwhile...
View attachment 160629

Haha!
...so this showed up less than half an hour after I made the previous post:

20221208_192810.jpg

I won't give away the other one until it arrives but this is the album I really wished I had to spin yesterday, in honour of Tom Waits' birthday! I haven't spent much time with this remixed/remastered version and have been wanting to and, hilariously, despite having many sentimental attachments to it, this is the only Tom Waits album I never owned on CD at any point! Yet, it features some of my absolute favourite songs ("Sins of My Father" and "Dead and Lovely"), a spoken word piece that I used to cover from time to time ("Circus") and holds extra special sentiment for me because the first place I ever heard it was the cafe across the street from the first place I lived when I moved to Victoria a couple of months after the album was released (I was travelling when it came out.) That cafe would go on to become: the first place I ever performed with my name on a poster; the first place I ever produced/promoted a show; my workplace and family for nearly a decade and home to an annual Tom Waits tribute night that ran for seven years and featured a wide and wild assortment of local performers while raising funds to buy, then maintain a sound system for the cafe (sadly, I can't seem to locate any of my photos from this online at the moment, so I'll have to dig through the "I closed my Facebook account and this is all my shit" folder on my other computer sometime!)

Thank you @Fillip J Phry - this is really super awesome!

Santa arrived for me today as well! Props for the secrecy on the return address AND the wrapping, but I think by sleuthing through this thread I've figured out it was @mingerton ! As they noted earlier on this thread, two essentials on my wantlist plus a wild card was my clue, along with the North Carolina return address. Couldn't be more pleased and excited to get these spinning. Think I'll start with the Pepper Adams since its the one I'm unfamiliar with, and increase the intensity and volume with Neutral Milk Hotel and then Nirvana!

Thanks so much, and happy holidays!

View attachment 160606

View attachment 160607
Such a great package.

On a side note, the wrapping paper really reminds me of Kenny Burrell's christmas album

R-10796781-1504465169-5324.jpg

My wife doesn't think so...she sees a big hassle to deal with....hopefully a long time from now.
I didn't make my wife move a single box of my records and she still complained about it everyday this past week. I could tell it was her thinking about how sad she'll be to have to deal with them when I die, 😂

Nice! Your hunch is correct. Couldn’t resist getting you those two on your waitlist (must haves) and then I thought you might appreciate the baritone of Pepper Adams (with a great cast of Timmons, Byrd, and Elvin Jones) — hoping it’s a pathway to more jazz. Happy holidays.
Considering I'm on my 3rd spin of Pepper Adams and haven't moved on to the other two, I think you made an excellent decision.

…so I think this may be from my Secret Santa? Hard to tell with no note or anything, but if it was, thank you so much!

View attachment 160685
Yes!

Sorry, I ended up settling for Amazon, there was supposed to be a poor excuse for a note! I don't envy online vinyl shopping in Canada, it was hard! Is it possible you missed a package yesterday?

Found these two on the doorstep today, and excited to get them on the table. After playing Kishi so much there when Omayari came out, I've kinda not played him in a while. Will be good to get back to it. And Joel Ross will be another great Jazz record in the collection. Looking forward to both. Thanks to Santa, who I think is @Selaws from the note that said I'd been their Santee before.

FED7AB2A-4FE3-49EA-98B8-62F2470D5D9F.jpeg

Yes!

Sorry, I ended up settling for Amazon, there was supposed to be a poor excuse for a note! I don't envy online vinyl shopping in Canada, it was hard! Is it possible you missed a package yesterday?
My mom handles the mail most of the time while I’m at work, so I asked her about it and as it turns out it did come yesterday! Thank you again!! :giggle:

32900D7C-CA71-40C6-AD6D-574F9E8052B3.jpeg

Also yeah, shipping prices up here are pretty awful. The major downside to being a vinyl fan/collector in 🇨🇦.

My mom handles the mail most of the time while I’m at work, so I asked her about it and as it turns out it did come yesterday! Thank you again!! :giggle:

View attachment 160753

Also yeah, shipping prices up here are pretty awful. The major downside to being a vinyl fan/collector in 🇨🇦.
Great, I'm glad both of them made it. I had many ideas but ran into lots of issues with stock, price, shipping taking too long, etc! Glad I was able to find some on your wantlist that seemed like good fits.

Thanks for being part of the best online community! Wish I had more time these days to participate in the monthly challenge threads that you always have interesting spins for from your impressive collection.

Hope you have a Happy Holidays!

If you want to check out one of my non-wantlist ideas that didn't work out, I thought you might appreciate Johnny Adams - Heart & Soul, a super slept on Soul classic by The Tan Canary.

This must be from Santa because I didn’t order it!! 👀 thank you Santa!! 😻

View attachment 159870
Part 2!

Thank you @tonythegamer!

This is the very first Jonathan Richman solo album I had heard. It takes me right back to fall 2010 and being a sophomore in college. The album artwork is definitely a product of the late 70s 😂

AC04E01E-0604-43EB-8160-1B8E830DCB17.jpeg

AEFBA4A8-CAE8-4DAD-BC1A-F23A5BBA69C3.jpeg

It was already a good day with Morocco bouncing Cristiano from the World Cup to become the first African team to be semi finalists (a victory for the African and Arabic worlds), but then Santa stopped by, courtesy of @Rip_City!!!

Markus, I cannot thank you enough for these albums, even if the Prince record made my partner a tad jealous!

View attachment 160795

It was already a good day with Morocco bouncing Cristiano from the World Cup to become the first African team to be semi finalists (a victory for the African and Arabic worlds), but then Santa stopped by, courtesy of @Rip_City!!!

Markus, I cannot thank you enough for these albums, even if the Prince record made my partner a tad jealous!
Glad the package got there safely. Have a great holiday season. 🎄🎅

My biggest worry is that my family sells them off for what I told them I paid for them....
Just give them my contact info and I'll happily pay what you said you paid for em.

"Kind of blue, scribbled on by someone named Cole T Rain? Well... Lots of folks would write their names on their records when taking them to parties, it's a shame, really lowers the resale value! Is $5 OK Mrs Selaws?"

Back