N&G Secret Santa 2022

Well, this was a really nice treat!

I'm a huge fan of the current British jazz scene but I have to admit that my listening has really only been focused on musicians from London and Manchester. I vaguely recognise the name Rebecca Vasmant from Gilles Peterson's Worldwide FM but have not explored her music yet, so this really is a perfect gift!! I haven't had a chance to listen yet but I'm really excited to!

Huge thank you whoever you are, you smashed it!

View attachment 160103
So, who’s the person on the forum that’s from Glasgow?

Hope you like it. Jazz isn’t my wheelhouse at all, but I’ve listened to this and liked it. Glasgow, and Scotland in general seems to be growing a decent scene at the moment, and this album serves as a primer. Lots of other artists featured on this. Keep an eye out for another example coming your way…

So, who’s the person on the forum that’s from Glasgow?

Hope you like it. Jazz isn’t my wheelhouse at all, but I’ve listened to this and liked it. Glasgow, and Scotland in general seems to be growing a decent scene at the moment, and this album serves as a primer. Lots of other artists featured on this. Keep an eye out for another example coming your way…
YESSS!

I actually thought it might be you but I didn't want to assume! Cheers mate, really great pick and I LOVE the idea of you choosing something that you have a connection to!

I'm more than happy with this so the idea of something else is just amazing, thanks again!!

YESSS!

I actually thought it might be you but I didn't want to assume! Cheers mate, really great pick and I LOVE the idea of you choosing something that you have a connection to!

I'm more than happy with this so the idea of something else is just amazing, thanks again!!

I think this was the Mixcloud show I listened to around the time the album came out. The other big name is Fergus McCreadie, who was nominated for the Mercury this year. Glasgow has a Performing Arts school, so we tend to get a lot of the Scottish-wide talent coming down. There was a club, The Blue Arrow Club, which was making a name for itself, but unfortunately closed within the last few months.

Hope you enjoy this, and the second pick will make sense when you look at both albums.

I think this was the Mixcloud show I listened to around the time the album came out. The other big name is Fergus McCreadie, who was nominated for the Mercury this year. Glasgow has a Performing Arts school, so we tend to get a lot of the Scottish-wide talent coming down. There was a club, The Blue Arrow Club, which was making a name for itself, but unfortunately closed within the last few months.

Hope you enjoy this, and the second pick will make sense when you look at both albums.

I listened to this mix today and it's fantastic, thanks for sharing!

Such a great variety of jazz coming out of Scotland!!

@Matt M , this is fantastic. Ive been meaning to check out that Edan record beyond a quick stream . the Blanck Mass album is a wildcard but ive seen a couple of people post about him. Sounds really interesting. Ill report back !
Seems like you took some time and care for those picks.

Thank you so much

PXL_20221206_201619254.MP.jpg

Also im only 99% sure that my Santa is indeed Matt M

@Matt M , this is fantastic. Ive been meaning to check out that Edan record beyond a quick stream . the Blanck Mass album is a wildcard but ive seen a couple of people post about him. Sounds really interesting. Ill report back !

Thank you so much

View attachment 160319

NICE! Love that Edan.

Thank you so much

View attachment 160319

It is me! I thought that Edan would fit right in after seeing your collection, and the Blanck Mass is a favorite that mixes well after seeing the DJ Shadow there. I go back to that one a lot. Hope they work out, enjoy!

9CA50698-A092-4685-8CD3-A27352E840C0.jpeg
Got my Secret Santa gift yesterday (at least 99.9% sure it’s that) and it was really well done. 2 great KV albums I didn’t have and a cover version of Air’s Moon Safari, which is an album I love. A Christmas 7”, a cool note/theme and some themed ephemera round out a very thoughtful package.

Thanks Santa, I’m going to enjoy!

View attachment 160378
Got my Secret Santa gift yesterday (at least 99.9% sure it’s that) and it was really well done. 2 great KV albums I didn’t have and a cover version of Air’s Moon Safari, which is an album I love. A Christmas 7”, a cool note/theme and some themed ephemera round out a very thoughtful package.

I hope you post your thoughts on that Moon Safari cover album in the What's Spinning thread when you play it. I've eyed it before and am quite curious since I love the album and love cover albums too. Your Santa, or random vinyl fairy godmother/stalker?, had some cool picks!

View attachment 160378

Woah. Records Rancho. That’s that record store that exists outside of time and space? I heard most people end up getting live animals and space debris from them on part of the physical reality conversion, so very cool that you ended up with actual records. Lucky duck!

Woah. Records Rancho. That’s that record store that exists outside of time and space? I heard most people end up getting live animals and space debris from them on part of the physical reality conversion, so very cool that you ended up with actual records. Lucky duck!
If you're my Santa, thanks so much for the thoughtful gift!

WOW, got an amazing package today from my Santa (whose real name I know from the return address but won’t post of course, but I do have a guess as to who it is - @CrazyDiamond84?). Thank you so much, Santa! Can’t wait to spin these albums, drink these beers, and most fun of all, open these bottles with this amazing Bucks bottle opener! This is a super thoughtful gift, thank you again!
72C12AB7-0E5B-4FBF-AC8A-4648D8D6C37E.jpeg
(Dogs in the background)

WOW, got an amazing package today from my Santa (whose real name I know from the return address but won’t post of course, but I do have a guess as to who it is - @CrazyDiamond84?). Thank you so much, Santa! Can’t wait to spin these albums, drink these beers, and most fun of all, open these bottles with this amazing Bucks bottle opener! This is a super thoughtful gift, thank you again!
View attachment 160478
(Dogs in the background)
You got it, enjoy! Figured I'd sprinkle in a few clues.

Pink Floyd, which was also on your wishlist. Badly Drawn Boy is a old one that I got back into a lot this year. Very talented multi instrumentalist that I think you'll enjoy his jams if you havent heard before. The Xmas 7" is a local artist (though lives in NY now). I think I've sent that one to every Santee throughout the years. Fun tune!

And the beer of course. Saw a few posts that you enjoy one while you spin. 1840 is my favorite neighborhood brewery that changed my mind about sours. They make the best ones I've ever had. And of course Moon Man, which is my favorite go-to beer I can pick up anywhere. And since New Glarus only distributes in state lines, I figured it was a good one to send over. Bottle opener was just another small clue, and know you like some NBA.

You got it, enjoy! Figured I'd sprinkle in a few clues.

Pink Floyd, which was also on your wishlist. Badly Drawn Boy is a old one that I got back into a lot this year. Very talented multi instrumentalist that I think you'll enjoy his jams if you havent heard before. The Xmas 7" is a local artist (though lives in NY now). I think I've sent that one to every Santee throughout the years. Fun tune!

And the beer of course. Saw a few posts that you enjoy one while you spin. 1840 is my favorite neighborhood brewery that changed my mind about sours. They make the best ones I've ever had. And of course Moon Man, which is my favorite go-to beer I can pick up anywhere. And since New Glarus only distributes in state lines, I figured it was a good one to send over. Bottle opener was just another small clue, and know you like some NBA.
THANK YOU! Happy holidays, my friend. Very much appreciated.

Planning to head to the PO this morning after I drop my daughter off at school.

Has anyone had issues with media mail being searched? - I know they were cracking down on anything else inserted in the package like a card or note or stickers for a bit, but not sure if they are still worrying about it.

For a while Waxwork Records was adding in inner Mofi sleeves to their packages, but had to stop because they aren't covered by media mail. And yet they send hats - TT mats and other swag, too...so who knows.

Back