N&G Secret Santa 2022

Planning to head to the PO this morning after I drop my daughter off at school.

Has anyone had issues with media mail being searched? - I know they were cracking down on anything else inserted in the package like a card or note or stickers for a bit, but not sure if they are still worrying about it.

For a while Waxwork Records was adding in inner Mofi sleeves to their packages, but had to stop because they aren't covered by media mail. And yet they send hats - TT mats and other swag, too...so who knows.
I've had a couple boxes that were clearly opened and retaped recently. And I got one in the mail that had stamps all over it that said "Media Mail - Subject To Inspection". I'd never seen that before.

Went to get my morning coffee today, and the receptionist let me know I had a present in the mail room. I work IT so I figured it was someone sending a computer, but lo and behold, it was indeed a present! Every year I like to ask Santa to give me something I may not have heard of, and every year I get something amazing that expands my musical knowledge! This year I got two albums I am unfamiliar with, and one from a band I love but sadly have no vinyl of.

The two I was unfamiliar with are Porcupine Tree - Signify and Dream Unending - Song Of Salvation. I know of Porcupine Tree, but have never dived in, so I'm really looking forward to hearing this! The note mentioned they often get labeled as prog - not a problem at all. I like that you picked the album in between style transitions, seems like a great starting point. I've never heard of Dream Unending, but from the description in the note, it sounds like something I like. I don't listen to a ton of metal either, but the "dream metal" tag piques my interests, as well as the shoegaze comparison. Can't get enough of that genre, so anything with even a little influence is a huge win!

I'm especially excited that you included the Echo & The Bunnymen album. Sadly missing from my collection, and a band I look for every time I'm in a record store. The owner of my local is a huge 80's fan, and has a specific section in the store for music from that era. I usually end up picking up something from that section when I go in. Sadly, never any Echo, I think he's keeping those for himself! This is probably my favorite album from them, so once again, thank you for filling a gap in my collection!

Also thanks for the stickers and the handwritten note! I tried looking up your name, but couldn't find "diaper baby."

Thanks again (can't stop saying it), you killed it!
SecretSanta2022.jpg

One of the pitfalls of organizing Secret Santa is the fact that, when making matches, one's own Santa becomes not-so-Secret.

Through sheer force of will and many hours of beer-fueled 'meditation,' however, I was able to successfully erase the name of my Secret Santa from my memory in order to preserve the thrilling sense of wonder and unyielding gratitude that comes with receiving a surprise parcel. Happy to report that all of my hard work paid off!

@imtheocean - ya nailed it, my dude!

PXL_20221208_173006839.MP.jpg

I am a huge fan of the Zamrock sound and missed out on the first round of these comps when they originally released. I was eying the new reissues and almost snagged them on Black Friday! Good thing I held back :)

Cannot thank you enough for your generosity and obvious good taste. Here's to you, my friend! Happy holidays!

One of the pitfalls of organizing Secret Santa is the fact that, when making matches, one's own Santa becomes not-so-Secret.

Through sheer force of will and many hours of beer-fueled 'meditation,' however, I was able to successfully erase the name of my Secret Santa from my memory in order to preserve the thrilling sense of wonder and unyielding gratitude that comes with receiving a surprise parcel. Happy to report that all of my hard work paid off!

@imtheocean - ya nailed it, my dude!

View attachment 160563

I am a huge fan of the Zamrock sound and missed out on the first round of these comps when they originally released. I was eying the new reissues and almost snagged them on Black Friday! Good thing I held back :)

Cannot thank you enough for your generosity and obvious good taste. Here's to you, my friend! Happy holidays!
Excellent! They jumped out on your list immediately, an incredible intersection of music and history. Happy Holidays to you and yours as well!

Hit me up next time you come down for a show at the Observatory, and we can share in some beer-fueled mediation!

My package from Santa arrived this morning...

20221208_103325.jpg

These are great picks...I haven't listened to S.C.I.E.N.C.E. for a very long time. And I do love alternate versions of albums, so this CSNY is great - but I think I'll need to listen to the regular version of Deja Vu first, as it has been a long time since I've played that, too.

THANKS A LOT SANTA!!!! (aka @Crabbers)

Went to get my morning coffee today, and the receptionist let me know I had a present in the mail room. I work IT so I figured it was someone sending a computer, but lo and behold, it was indeed a present! Every year I like to ask Santa to give me something I may not have heard of, and every year I get something amazing that expands my musical knowledge! This year I got two albums I am unfamiliar with, and one from a band I love but sadly have no vinyl of.

The two I was unfamiliar with are Porcupine Tree - Signify and Dream Unending - Song Of Salvation. I know of Porcupine Tree, but have never dived in, so I'm really looking forward to hearing this! The note mentioned they often get labeled as prog - not a problem at all. I like that you picked the album in between style transitions, seems like a great starting point. I've never heard of Dream Unending, but from the description in the note, it sounds like something I like. I don't listen to a ton of metal either, but the "dream metal" tag piques my interests, as well as the shoegaze comparison. Can't get enough of that genre, so anything with even a little influence is a huge win!

I'm especially excited that you included the Echo & The Bunnymen album. Sadly missing from my collection, and a band I look for every time I'm in a record store. The owner of my local is a huge 80's fan, and has a specific section in the store for music from that era. I usually end up picking up something from that section when I go in. Sadly, never any Echo, I think he's keeping those for himself! This is probably my favorite album from them, so once again, thank you for filling a gap in my collection!

Also thanks for the stickers and the handwritten note! I tried looking up your name, but couldn't find "diaper baby."

Thanks again (can't stop saying it), you killed it!
View attachment 160561
Glad you like everything. I meant my name always has some variation of "diaper" and "baby" in it but is constantly changing - seasonal in this instance.

Enjoy!

Hit me up next time you come down for a show at the Observatory, and we can share in some beer-fueled mediation!

rick-and-morty-morty.gif

View attachment 160572

These are great picks...I haven't listened to S.C.I.E.N.C.E. for a very long time. And I do love alternate versions of albums, so this CSNY is great - but I think I'll need to listen to the regular version of Deja Vu first, as it has been a long time since I've played that, too.

Oh man this is so good

Glad you like everything. I meant my name always has some variation of "diaper" and "baby" in it but is constantly changing - seasonal in this instance.

Enjoy!
Ah, the search didn't pick it up without the missing Santa. Thanks again, I'm looking forward to spinning these, will post my thoughts after I do so!

View attachment 160572

Hope you enjoy…btw if y’all didn’t know , @LeeVing ’s collection is 🔥🔥🔥

Santa arrived for me today as well! Props for the secrecy on the return address AND the wrapping, but I think by sleuthing through this thread I've figured out it was @mingerton ! As they noted earlier on this thread, two essentials on my wantlist plus a wild card was my clue, along with the North Carolina return address. Couldn't be more pleased and excited to get these spinning. Think I'll start with the Pepper Adams since its the one I'm unfamiliar with, and increase the intensity and volume with Neutral Milk Hotel and then Nirvana!

Thanks so much, and happy holidays!

1670543817277.png

1670543853721.png

Last edited:
Santa arrived for me today as well! Props for the secrecy on the return address AND the wrapping, but I think by sleuthing through this thread I've figured out it was @mingerton ! As they noted earlier on this thread, two essentials on my wantlist plus a wild card was my clue, along with the North Carolina return address. Couldn't be more pleased and excited to get these spinning. Think I'll start with the Pepper Adams since its the one I'm unfamiliar with, and increase the intensity and volume with Neutral Milk Hotel and then Nirvana!

Thanks so much, and happy holidays!

View attachment 160606

View attachment 160607
Nice! Your hunch is correct. Couldn’t resist getting you those two on your waitlist (must haves) and then I thought you might appreciate the baritone of Pepper Adams (with a great cast of Timmons, Byrd, and Elvin Jones) — hoping it’s a pathway to more jazz. Happy holidays.

Back