N&G AoTM /// Year 2 Review!

Joe Mac

So it was my absolute pleasure to organise and compere year two! Yet another fantastic and eclectic mix of albums chosen by us using our “Impeccable Taste”™!

In that spirit some of you love to go back over the year and review the wonderful albums that were picked and that we bought and listened to!

Like last year just a couple of ground rules in the spirit of the endeavour:
  1. Be kind. Don’t shit on any picks. People have put a lot of effort and love into picking an album and running a thread. In that spirit if you’ve got nothing good to say, say nothing!
  2. Please no ranking lists. It’s not fair and it makes someone whose album is lower down feel a bit shit.
As a reminder the Year 2 picks and pickers were:

N&G AoTM /// Volume 13 - July 2020 /// Recomposed by Max Richter: Vivaldi – The Four Seasons / picked by @Alexander

N&G AoTM /// Volume 14 - August 2020 /// Fugazi - In On The Killtaker / picked by @Thackeraye

N&G AoTM /// Volume 15 - September 2020 /// 15-60-75 (The Numbers Band) - Jimmy Bell's Still In Town / picked by @Yer Ol' Uncle D

N&G AoTM /// Volume 16 - October 2020 /// WH Lung - Incidental Music / picked by @ByersVinyl

N&G AoTM /// Volume 17 - November 2020 /// Les Discrets - Septembre Et Ses Dernières Pensées / picked by @blissfullychaotic

N&G AoTM /// Volume 18 - December 2020 /// Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Michael Brook – Mustt Mustt / picked by @panino

N&G AoTM /// Volume 19 - January 2021 /// Tim Hecker - Radio Amor / picked by @duke86fan

N&G AoTM /// Volume 20 - February 2021 /// Birds of Chicago - Love in Wartime / picked by @Lee Newman

N&G AoTM /// Volume 21 - March 2021 /// Melissa Laveaux - Radyo Siwèl / picked by @Colonel_Angus

N&G AoTM /// Volume 22 - April 2021 /// Nerija - Blume / picked by @Selaws

N&G AOTM /// Volume 23 - May 2021 /// Harmony Woods - Make Yourself at Home / picked by @siremobunny

N&G AoTM /// Volume 24 - June 2021 /// Calliope Musicals - Color/Sweat / picked by @bfly

So now it’s over to all of you to listen to some great music and to tell us all about why you love it so much!

Last edited:
I know I missed most of these threads over the past year, but I am working my way through catching up and am determined that I will make it through all of them eventually! Thanks everyone for all of the thought put into these picks and energy in putting together the clues and write-ups for all of us. It is really special to have a pick each month that means a lot to someone and isn’t based on a corporate strategy or marketing/distribution deal or whatever. We have such a deep well of passionate music fans to draw from here.

I have to confess that I found year 2 more challenging as the greater majority of the chosen artists were unknown to me.
It highlighted the love for all kind of music by the N&G "pickers" and that this is what make us curious.

My 2 favorite picks for the year cannot be more different:
15-60-75 (The Numbers band) - Jimmy Bell's Still in Town
Recomposed by Max Richter - Vivaldi - The Four Seasons

One goes to the roots of music, with a local band creating music for the pleasure of it, without dreams of celebrity and with a very different idea of what success represents (gigs in front of a loving audience made of friends and real fans)!
The Four Seasons forced me to acknowledge my snobbish attitude towards classical music and the modern reinterpretations showed me that classical can be modern too.

great picks by all!!!
Let have this ROTM roll on!

I have really been enjoying all of them. This past year has been a great discovery for me as I really only knew maybe two artists previously. For that I thank everyone for introducing these artists to me! 🍻

I'll try to have a more elaborate review later (no promises, though :giggle:). For now, here is year 2 +2

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

I won't pick favorites because I definitely have a bias as I was one of the months. So I just wanna say how happy I am about all the different kinds of music we've shown off, from atmospheric metal to ambient to jazz to classical to a combination of Islamic devotionals with trip hop... I still have a few to go (it's so hard to find WH Lung and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan at a good price) but I'm really happy with all we did

Back