Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 14 - August 2020 /// Fugazi - In on the Kill Taker

Thackeraye

Hello all!

I'm honoured to be selected to pick your album of the month for August 2020. Looking forward to having fun with all your guessing, and to share this album with you. I'm in the UK, so I'll be working slightly different hours to you all. This means that I might not be able to answer your questions right away.

I don't think my clues are going to be as fancy as @Alexander, but I'll give it a go! My plan is to throw up some clues that might work on their own, might work together, and which might relate to the artist, the album, or a song. Part of the fun is going to be taking them and mashing them together to see what comes up.

Good luck, and happy guessing!

Graeme, Thackeraye

Clues go here!

Last edited:
Guesses go here!

Bsdmr2 - Lou Bega - A Little Bit of Mambo/Spice Girls - S/T, Basement Jaxx - Remedy
MikeH - Marillion - Misplaced Childhood
Joe Mac - Fugazi - Repeater +3
Supahypeag - Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth/Temple of the Dog - S/T/Texas - White on Blonde or The Hush
Bluecloud777 - The Jason Lee McKinney Band - Pieces
Waitressboy - NSYNC - Celebrity
ByersVinyl - The Pogues - Hells Ditch/Rum Sodomy...and the Lash/Siouxsie & The Banshees - Superstition
Poly-Rythmo - The Cardigans - Gran Turismo
Skalap - The 3 Tenors
Gavaxeman - Bob Dylan - Infidels

Last edited:
One of the joys of picking an album by an established artist is that you can highlight stories around the band and the album. To give you some context around my pick, check out the following (over 2 parts):

1) Trash Theory's overview of the band. A lot of this is based off info from the 33 1/3 book on the album, but it's a great place to start:

2) Pitchfork's 5 minute overview of the album. Thanks to @Jan for reminding me of this:

3) A Youtube video of the Albini Sessions for the album. If you want to download them I'm sure they are still on a blog somewhere:

4) Ep. #223: Ian MacKaye & Steve Albini (Part I) - Kreative Kontrol - Part 1 of a 2 part podcast with Ian and Steve Albini. Good to listen to if you have a spare couple of hours.

5) Wugazi - 13 Chambers. A Fugazi/Wu Tang Clan mashup shouldn't work, but it does...

Last edited:
Supplementary Part 2!

6) US link to the 33 1/3 book on the album by Joe Gross. If you're a big fan it's worth your time.

7) A Spotify link to the Stargaze album mentioned in my write up. I'm not a huge fan, but it's definitely worth the 3 spins to check:

8) If you want to see what half of Fugazi are up to, I highly recommend the new Coriky album. It takes the sound of late-period Fugazi and runs with it. Highly recommended:

9) That rhythm section again - The Messthetics from last year. Also great:

10) Finally, for those of you who already have the album, but may want to still take part. Producer Ted Niceley has put up a crowdfunder to cover significant spinal surgery costs. If you can, and you feel like you wish to do so, this is a potential other avenue for a record cover price.
Help Ted Niceley organized by Matt McLaughlin

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Here's a wee bonus. Call this Clue 0, as tradition might have to take over for clue 1:

Here's a wee bonus. Call this Clue 0, as tradition might have to take over for clue 1:

Then it's Jason Mraz.

Boom solved.

Following the 5 theme from above, I’m shouting for Lou Bega - A Little Bit of Mambo featuring the only one and only Mambo No.5...

Game over.
Fun fact: I recently discovered that Lou Bega is down to perform at weddings and he charges £38,000 which includes premium economy airfare for him and 4 female backup singers/dancers, for a 40 minute set.

Back