My Morning Jacket

Ok, after nearly a week with the new album on constant 🔁- I'm prepared to work it into the rankings (Live Albums and EPs are purposely omitted).

Evil Urges (2008)
Z (2005)
It Still Moves (2003)
Circuital (2011)
My Morning Jacket (2021)
The Waterfall II (2020)
At Dawn (2001)
The Tennessee Fire (1999)
The Waterfall (2015)

My list is so different, and probably in flux as I'm going back through and listening to a lot of their stuff right now. But...

1. Z
2. It Still Moves
3. At Dawn
4. Circuital
5. My Morning Jacket
6. The Waterfall
7. The Waterfall II
8. The Tennessee Fire
9. Evil Urges

wowza, i must be the only one who really actively dislikes the new self-titled album

my morning jacket: z > it still moves > at dawn > evil urges > the waterfall ii > the tennessee fire > the waterfall > circuital > my morning jacket

1. It Still Moves
2. Z
3. Circuital
4. My Morning Jacket
5. The Waterfall II
6. The Waterfall
7. Evil Urges
8. The Tennessee Fire
9. At Dawn

I think I need to listen to the Waterfalls a few more times to properly place them.

1. It Still Moves
  2. Z
  3. Tennessee Fire
  4. At Dawn
  5. Waterfall II
  6. Evil Urges
  7. Circuital
  8. Waterfall
I need more time with the new one, but if I had to rank it today I'd slot it either right above or right below Evil Urges.

I guess that's true, I just don't understand how Tennessee Fire is ranked near the bottom of so many lists. Pound for pound it has probably the best songwriting of any album besides It Still Moves, IMO.
I think the lo-fi production has something to do with it for me. I still really like the album, but it’s not quite as consistently a great listen for me as their other albums, due to the production. The songs themselves are great, like you said, and always shine through live.

i think mine is probably something like:

At Dawn
Z
It Still Moves
The Waterfall II
Tennessee Fire
MMJ
The Waterfall
Circuital
Evil Urges

the caveat to all this is that I don't know if I've listened to Evil Urges or Circuital since they came out but I remember not being crazy about them upon release

The Tennessee Fire is actually a lot better than I ever thought it would be (considering I didn’t hear it until after the Waterfall was released). I just don’t return to it much. Z was my intro to the band and I loved that album so much when it came out. So I was excited for Evil Urges, but man…I didn’t like it. And I kept trying. And trying. And tried again recently. Nope nope nope. Aside from the Touch Me I’m Going To Scream 1 and 2, I think it has their worst material to date. No other song sounds like it has any substance musically or lyrically and some just outright annoy me. It’s the only album of theirs I don’t own on vinyl. Sorry for the hate. Just don’t get it at all.

Now I read the review from Pitchfork for the new one and it’s confounding to me. Although it did point out how simplistic the lyrics are - which I kind of agree with - but the jams are there and the songs that are shorter still have such amazing movement to them.

The Tennessee Fire is actually a lot better than I ever thought it would be (considering I didn’t hear it until after the Waterfall was released). I just don’t return to it much. Z was my intro to the band and I loved that album so much when it came out. So I was excited for Evil Urges, but man…I didn’t like it. And I kept trying. And trying. And tried again recently. Nope nope nope. Aside from the Touch Me I’m Going To Scream 1 and 2, I think it has their worst material to date. No other song sounds like it has any substance musically or lyrically and some just outright annoy me. It’s the only album of theirs I don’t own on vinyl. Sorry for the hate. Just don’t get it at all.

Now I read the review from Pitchfork for the new one and it’s confounding to me. Although it did point out how simplistic the lyrics are - which I kind of agree with - but the jams are there and the songs that are shorter still have such amazing movement to them.

I need my MMJ caped, flying-V'd, omni-chorded and disco-balled all the way up to the bug-eyed sunglasses.

On Evil Urges:

Back