Music Videos, YouTube performances, etc.

Since it is weekend 1 of the ACL Festival, I figured I would post this performance from Tameca Jones that was recorded a few years back during the festival. I shared this one back on the old forum, and I still think it is a great performance. Better than the official version of the tune she ultimately released on her EP.

Emily and Jimmy of Metric doing an acoustic take on 'Now Or Never Now'. If Emily Haines isn't actually one of the coolest people on the planet, then she's had me fooled for many years now. I always like whenever these two do these acoustic duo performances. I've seen some great covers from them (Elliott Smith's 'Between The Bars'), as well as some nice takes on full band Metric tunes like this one.

This specific performance by Flyleaf, performing their song Again always gives me goosebumps. Lacey Sturm's vocal talent is incredible. I had the rare honor of seeing her perform an acoustic set 2 months ago, and her singing is jaw-droppingly incredible in that setting. No jumping around and screaming (though she does damn good at that, and sounds great doing it), just swaying with the music and singing her heart out. This performance here is one of my favorites I've heard of her.

I just saw a brief clip of this on Twitter, and I immediately had to look for it on YouTube. Not really a music performance, but, damn, this is too amazing to not share. An incredible way to spend seven and a half minutes. Totally intense, and absolutely beautiful.

I just saw a brief clip of this on Twitter, and I immediately had to look for it on YouTube. Not really a music performance, but, damn, this is too amazing to not share. An incredible way to spend seven and a half minutes. Totally intense, and absolutely beautiful.

This is amazing. I'm going to cross post it in @agutierrezb 's AOTM thread. I think it has a place there. :)

Like, how is she not covered in sweat after that? It's beautiful.

It's kind of everything all at once. Intensity. Grace. Power. Beauty. Dramatic. Flamboyant. Subtle. Control.

Great way to start a day. Who needs caffeine when you can just watch that and get a jolt of energy? I was reminded of Michael Jackson at times, with the closeups of her footwork, and some of the sliding movements. I know squat about dance, but that blew me away.

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing this! Incredible. Definitely listening to Spanish music for the rest of the day.

This is amazing. I'm going to cross post it in @agutierrezb 's AOTM thread. I think it has a place there. :)
Thanks for sharing and thanks for tagging me! This performance is so good... While I'm not big on dance in general, flamenco dancers have all my respect. It is a very intense and demanding dance, both physically and mentally. And the way they use their bodies to create sound makes their performances almost musical. Chick Corea added a flamenco dancer to his band in his latest tour, giving him a spotlight every once in a while with dancing solos. You can watch it in this video from 19:00 onwards

Thanks for sharing and thanks for tagging me! This performance is so good... While I'm not big on dance in general, flamenco dancers have all my respect. It is a very intense and demanding dance, both physically and mentally. And the way they use their bodies to create sound makes their performances almost musical. Chick Corea added a flamenco dancer to his band in his latest tour, giving him a spotlight every once in a while with dancing solos. You can watch it in this video from 19:00 onwards

Did a little reading on Antonia from the video I posted, and, apparently she lost her hearing a few months after being born due to severe meningitis. Some of it came back in 1968, but that would mean she still couldn't hear at the time of the performance in that video. According to Wikipedia, "Singla began to dance by watching her mother clapping, absorbing the rhythm and turning it into a really remarkable dance full of emotions". That's freaking amazing.

As I posted the other day, I've been spending quite a bit of time with The Kinks' "Lola" album. Which has reminded me of Norah Jones' awesome cover of 'Strangers' that she included as a bonus track on some versions of "The Fall". This live clip from Bonnaroo isn't that version, but it is still pretty damn great.

Led by Amirtha Kidambi, Quartet Elder Ones creates drones on the harmonium—an old, air-powered keyboard—and coaxes their bandmates into ripping them apart.

What a voice!

I've loved pretty much everything Annie Clark has put her St. Vincent name on, but I hope we haven't missed the boat on her releasing something that taps into the spirit of these two performances. Just really cutting loose. I felt like she might have been headed down this road after "Strange Mercy", but then she ended up going in a different direction after the album and tour with David Byrne. Again, I've loved the stuff since then, but it would be really cool to see her put out something really guitar heavy that has frayed edges. Something raw and not so precise. And the live shows would be incredible.

@Teeeee - You were the first person to recommend Hurray for the Riff Raff to me. (like, a couple+ years ago?) I only have Navigator, but this video (first link) came up on the Tube a couple songs after a Sam Doores song that featured Alynda. (second link)
Anyway, thought you might like to see/hear these if you haven't already.
This also reminds me to dive a little deeper on Hurray and get some more in my collection.

Back