Music News / Reviews

This is an interesting article about cd and vinyl sales (in the uk)
That’s a decent article and it seemed to hit every single point except one that it painfully misses. CD sales continue to decline while vinyl sales continue to rise. THAT is the answer to basically every instance where the article asks why. The facts are as the article says but it seems blind to this one.

A friend turned me on to this new track from Austin's Black Books. His description is pretty spot on: "Sounds kind of like outer space if it was haunted by Nada Surf."

Destroyer's How We Met gets Pitchfork's Best New Music designation, have enjoyed the singles so far.

Well deserved, if you ask me. I got the lp in the mail Monday, and it's some good stuff. I'm very biased towards Destroyer, so it's bugged me that reception for the last two albums (which are surely growers, but excellent by all rights) has been so subdued.

Well deserved, if you ask me. I got the lp in the mail Monday, and it's some good stuff. I'm very biased towards Destroyer, so it's bugged me that reception for the last two albums (which are surely growers, but excellent by all rights) has been so subdued.
I never got that either, I loved the last two albums. Just started Have We Met, immediately off to a good start!

I've been really enjoying the new Walter Martin album. For those that don't know, Walter Martin played in the Walkmen (and Jonathan Fire Eater), but his solo stuff is far flung from indie rock. His first album was straight up kids music, which maybe has pigeon holed the guy.

The newer stuff gets (appropriately) compared to Harry Nilsson and Randy Newman.

I've been really enjoying the new Walter Martin album. For those that don't know, Walter Martin played in the Walkmen (and Jonathan Fire Eater), but his solo stuff is far flung from indie rock. His first album was straight up kids music, which maybe has pigeon holed the guy.

The newer stuff gets (appropriately) compared to Harry Nilsson and Randy Newman.
I checked this out and I like it, will need to listen a few more times before I have a real opinion though. It gives me a magical realism vibe although I'm not sure if that term's used in music much.

• Cheers
Reactions: mgp
VERY VERY VERY BAD news for the industry:

A major blow to the record manufacturing industry today. Things will change for new releases....

As we all know, a record begins life as grooves cut into a blank disc - either a lacquer coated disc or a copper coated disc (DMM). With only two manufacturers of lacquer discs in the world, the larger of the two burned down today leading to a severe worldwide shortage. This same company is also one of only two commercial manufacturers of cutting stylii. This leaves the smaller manufacturer, said to be a “mom and pop business working out of their garage” as the only supplier of lacquer master discs in the whole world. Their capacity only allows them to meet only 20% of worldwide demand.

What does this mean to the industry? When disc cutting studios deplete their stocks, lacquer master discs will be in very short supply putting a strain on some 100 lacquer disc cutting studios to remain viable. Fortunately, there are six companies that cut onto copper discs (DMM) which they make themselves so record production will continue.

What does this mean to the consumer? You can expect almost all new releases to be cut on DMM. While DMM has some technical advantages, it often lacks the high level and fat bottom end of a lacquer cut that most people prefer.

As a consequence, having your favourite disc cutting engineer cut your record now seems very unlikely. All DMM cutting studios, except one, are owned by pressing plants so to get a record out you would need to use one of these five which are all fine plants but this limits your ability to choose.

In our case, we have enough stock of lacquer discs for maybe two months and certainly enough to complete current orders. After that and until the situation is rectified, we have sufficiently good relationships with three DMM equipped plants to get your record cut and to feed your addiction for records.

IMG_3025.JPG

VERY VERY VERY BAD news for the industry:

A major blow to the record manufacturing industry today. Things will change for new releases....

As we all know, a record begins life as grooves cut into a blank disc - either a lacquer coated disc or a copper coated disc (DMM). With only two manufacturers of lacquer discs in the world, the larger of the two burned down today leading to a severe worldwide shortage. This same company is also one of only two commercial manufacturers of cutting stylii. This leaves the smaller manufacturer, said to be a “mom and pop business working out of their garage” as the only supplier of lacquer master discs in the whole world. Their capacity only allows them to meet only 20% of worldwide demand.

What does this mean to the industry? When disc cutting studios deplete their stocks, lacquer master discs will be in very short supply putting a strain on some 100 lacquer disc cutting studios to remain viable. Fortunately, there are six companies that cut onto copper discs (DMM) which they make themselves so record production will continue.

What does this mean to the consumer? You can expect almost all new releases to be cut on DMM. While DMM has some technical advantages, it often lacks the high level and fat bottom end of a lacquer cut that most people prefer.

As a consequence, having your favourite disc cutting engineer cut your record now seems very unlikely. All DMM cutting studios, except one, are owned by pressing plants so to get a record out you would need to use one of these five which are all fine plants but this limits your ability to choose.

In our case, we have enough stock of lacquer discs for maybe two months and certainly enough to complete current orders. After that and until the situation is rectified, we have sufficiently good relationships with three DMM equipped plants to get your record cut and to feed your addiction for records.

View attachment 31840

Who's the source of this article? I obviously believe that it happened, just curious as to who the "we" is when they say "we have enough stock of lacquer discs for maybe two months and certainly enough to complete current orders."

Who's the source of this article? I obviously believe that it happened, just curious as to who the "we" is when they say "we have enough stock of lacquer discs for maybe two months and certainly enough to complete current orders."
Ah sorry, I should of put that. It was from XL Productions, but I took it from a shared facebook post by TheVinylGuide

Audiophile labels and pressing plants like RTI, QRP, Pallas, and Record Industry are the just likely to be caught with issues from this... As they basically never use DMM

A lot of mofi and analogue productions is are gonna be out of stock and Gz and other lower tier labels with dmm will have to do more of the work

Back