Music News / Reviews

Wilma Archer, anybody?

I was listening to the NPR All song considered new music Friday podcast and this stopped me in my tracks.
Don't know anything about this guy, but what little I have listened today, it's impressive!
...and I have now ordered the debut album.

As somebody who couldn't get into Idler Wheel, but adores her other work... Bolt Cutters fully clicked during my 3rd play through last night after a couple of tall cans of beer. Woke up and immediately wanted to put it back on. I'm particularly addicted to Heavy Balloon.

I have a feeling this will go down as my favorite of her releases since Pawn, and a top 3 AOTY (right now it's sitting alongside Miss Anthropocene). That said, I do think that the idea that this is some revolutionary sound is a touch disrespectful to Merrill Garbus of Tune-Yards who pioneered the pairing of vocal looping over rhythm heavy production years ago.

Really enjoyed renting this documentary last night on a NYC institution, Other Music record store in NYC. It ws cool because you can give half the rental price to your favorite participating indie record store. Really well done doc.

The Other Music documentary is available to stream today -- for the next 72 hours! 50% of your rental cost will go to your favorite participating indie record store and cinema, linked on this page: http://factorytwentyfive.com/other-music/

The best way to do a celebrity quarantine singalong is to not do it.
Fair sentiment. I feel like these dire times have given us some of our best live performances, dream covers, and collabs. I don't care about most of the artists in that one, but I still think they did a stellar job.

Also, off-topic, I love the Bill and Ted movies and I'm excited for the new one. However, if they were to do a reboot, I hope it stars Killer Mike and El P. Them starting Run the Jewels is what unites the world.

It’ll be interesting to see how folks react to the new Chicano Batman. Freedom is Free is easily their most accessible record and I’m sure it brought many people to the fold (hell it brought me), but this is a return to form and on first listen, the best, most polished album, all at the same time. It’ll be neat to watch what happens...

Back