Music Festivals

No refunds? Woof.

It was this line in the announcement that really got me: "In all transparency, the financial devastation of the 2023 show made it impossible to sustain the weight of the new production."

Given the above, they must have known more than 10 days out. And combined with the 'no refunds' makes at least an appearance that they were collecting money to pay off old losses.

can someone explain how Noah Kahan is a headliner-level act?

He has multiple sellouts of venue sizes most festival headliners would give a kidney to sell out (arenas and baseball stadiums) he's very popular across multiple generations and otherwise pretty palatable even if you're not a big fan, and he has a lot of high profile collaborations. He's kind of an ideal festival headliner.

Also, not to you in particular at all, but people here love to shit on the guy and I don't get it. His songwriting is usually very good, sound is catchy, he seems like he has great fan rapport. I'm not saying people need to like him of course but to me he is a clear cut above a lot of other artists in his spheres. I don't think the Lumineers have a song like Orange Juice or Call Your Mom or The View Between Villages in their catalog.

Again, no one needs to like him but Noah Kahan is nowhere near the most questionable headliner on these cards in quality or popularity terms

He has multiple sellouts of venue sizes most festival headliners would give a kidney to sell out (arenas and baseball stadiums) he's very popular across multiple generations and otherwise pretty palatable even if you're not a big fan, and he has a lot of high profile collaborations. He's kind of an ideal festival headliner.

Also, not to you in particular at all, but people here love to shit on the guy and I don't get it. His songwriting is usually very good, sound is catchy, he seems like he has great fan rapport. I'm not saying people need to like him of course but to me he is a clear cut above a lot of other artists in his spheres. I don't think the Lumineers have a song like Orange Juice or Call Your Mom or The View Between Villages in their catalog.

Again, no one needs to like him but Noah Kahan is nowhere near the most questionable headliner on these cards in quality or popularity terms
I also learned something today that I didn’t know. I’ve been a huge fan of Maggie Rogers since Heard It In A Past Life. I got that record from Magnolia Record Club. I had seen the Pharrell video but only after I had heard that album. I did not realize that she had been a big viral deal. I had no idea that her album had reached #2 on the billboard hot 200 with that album. This success was all based on that viral thing.

So even though I (like a lot of the users here) don’t get my music through the viral channels, when those folks do reach a level that we are noticing them, they probably already have legions of fans we were unaware of. Kahan is a sign that as plugged in as I am to music … there are whole avenues that are not really on my radar and that’s okay.

I have a lot of folk music in my collection and I was not particularly wowed by the couple of things I heard from him and I couldn’t even tell you what they were but they did feel very Lumineersish to me.

im such a fucking weeb that im watching coachella at 12:50 AM just to see miku on screen (i missed uzi and i'll see britany on the p4k stream so this is the one i needed)

Already discovering some stuff I didn't know from the Couchella stream... L'Imperatice is awesome. Loved The Beths. Want to go back and watch the whole set by The Japanese House.
Saaaame energy my dude. Almost exactly my feelings when I was watching last night’s stream.

I was a little bit skeptical of the whole Picture in Picture stream option. But it ended up being kind of fun if used as a jump off point to go deep into the individual stages. 🙌🔥

Back