Music Festivals

Pickathon is all about discovery, finding rising artists before they break out. Honestly, knowing 5 bands is par for the course for most folks.

The experience is a big part of why you go to Pickathon. Also, if past lineups are any indication, you will likely know (and probably like) 20 or more of these bands in a couple years.
Speaking of discovery, don't miss Water From Your Eyes...

Best festival in the land, and the lineup is 🔥 this year. @Dead C @Matt M

View attachment 198233

🔥 🔥
I just saw the lineup for Pickathon and it's right up my alley. I have been thinking about planning a trip to a festival to this summer with the wife while the kids are away at camp. The wife (mostly) likes the same music as me, but she is not as much of a concertgoer or festivalgoer as I am, so I would really have to sell this in order to convince her to get on a plane and fly cross country for a multi-day music festival.

My question is, broadly, what is Pickathon like? Is it well-run? Is it "manageable" (i.e. not a crowded sprawling mass of people)? What about logistics, is it easy to get to from the airport? How is the camping?

Any and all advice is welcome, including other festivals I should consider. Feel free to shoot me a DM so as not to hijack this thread. Thanks in advance.

I just saw the lineup for Pickathon and it's right up my alley. I have been thinking about planning a trip to a festival to this summer with the wife while the kids are away at camp. The wife (mostly) likes the same music as me, but she is not as much of a concertgoer or festivalgoer as I am, so I would really have to sell this in order to convince her to get on a plane and fly cross country for a multi-day music festival.

My question is, broadly, what is Pickathon like? Is it well-run? Is it "manageable" (i.e. not a crowded sprawling mass of people)? What about logistics, is it easy to get to from the airport? How is the camping?

Any and all advice is welcome, including other festivals I should consider. Feel free to shoot me a DM so as not to hijack this thread. Thanks in advance.
It's low key. About 6 stages scattered around, including one of the two main ones on a short hike up into the woods. A great setting. Feels like they're starting to get settled in after some issues coming back after Covid. I'll probably be back this year after missing for the first time in a while last year.

Can't speak to the camping as I've never done it and don't camp, and also live within walking distance.

I'll drop you a DM and happy to connect for a phone call or whatever might be most helpful...but in short, if the lineup resonates with you upon first glance, I can almost guarantee that it would be worth making the trip. That said, there are a number of helpful tips that will help optimize your experience. I'll share when we connect.

In terms of a general overview...I've gone every year since 2015, camping out with the entire family on the farm. There is nothing else like it. The way that the festival is integrated into the natural setting of the farm is one of the highlights. There are six different stages, each with its own distinct personality. Every band plays twice over the course of the weekend, and most artists opt to camp out, taking in shows by the other artists. The last time Courtney Barnett was at Pickathon, I recall standing next to her while watching Phosphorescent on the Woods Stage. I met Bob Boilen during a Daniel Norgren set. These types of interactions are an organic part of the experience.

It's undoubtedly changed a lot over the years, but the founders and organizers are 100% committed to sustainability and the creative melding of music and culture. They don't make any money on the enterprise. It is very much a labor of love.

Also, half of the attendees are volunteers, crew and band support. They intentionally keep the total numbers low for a manageable experience.

More context: Why Pickathon is Pretty Much the Best Music Festival Ever (PREVIEW) - Glide Magazine

Last edited:
Good point @tvham and I am in general agreement, but would beg to differ in regard to Pickathon. I am familiar with their curation process and can assure you that featuring female artists is among the most important considerations. As an example, here is an incomplete rapid fire list of female led artists playing this year (and there are more in the works):

Courtney Barnett / Adi Oasis / Billie Marten / Jess Williamson / Bella White / CocoRosie / Melissa Carper / Ratboys / Erin Rae / Two Runner / Florry / Joanna Sternberg / Sami Braman / Packs / Elephant Revival

Good point @tvham and I am in general agreement, but would beg to differ in regard to Pickathon. I am familiar with their curation process and can assure you that featuring female artists is among the most important considerations. As an example, here is an incomplete rapid fire list of female led artists playing this year (and there are more in the works):

Courtney Barnett / Adi Oasis / Billie Marten / Jess Williamson / Bella White / CocoRosie / Melissa Carper / Ratboys / Erin Rae / Two Runner / Florry / Joanna Sternberg / Sami Braman / Packs / Elephant Revival
Pickathon always does a good job but it's definitely the outlier - of the dozens of festival lineups I've seen they are all pretty much male dominated across the board, most of them don't feature a female artist/band on the first couple of lines.

And Water From Your Eyes which I posted above

@hatfieldpdx more than has this covered, but as someone who has been trying to write about this festival in reviews for over a decade, it's incomparable. It's also amazing for kids.

had a solid time at the messy Austin-edition of Besame Mucho (@ThePakoBuelna Cafe Tacvba was so fun when I got to step away!)

and just checkin in with my schedule for possible meet ups with any of yall:
Dreamville, EDC Vegas, Gov Ball, Windy City Smokeout, Rocklahoma, Bourbon & Beyond, Louder than Life... def some others but shout if you are gonna swing by any of these!

Back