Music Festivals

I would absolutely go and watch a lot of those bands but I've seen plenty of them already. So is there a big ticket band that's worth the $300 for me? not really. I last went in 2014 when GAs went for as low as $70. I paid $150 since I waited to see who was playing first. Seems like every music festival is, at minimum, $300 nowadays.

View attachment 138645

My girlfriend and I were talking about this with Boston Calling which is the same issue. Just going by year for base level prices

2013: $120 (two days at the smaller venue)
2015: $175 (three days at the smaller venue) (Early Bird was $110)
2017: $269 (first year at the bigger open venue - this also resulted in higher tier headliners, albeit not a huge jump)
2019: $264 (this is what I could find though I think it gradually went up and ended around $300ish)
2022: $370 (currently, it was less early on, a fairer quote is probably $350 or so)

Like, the fest grew of course, but it's so much harder to justify a 3 day GA ticket price of $300+ when you can only see so many acts in a day. Even at $175, you probably only need 1-2 artists you'd pay to see a day to make it worth it. Now you kind of need that whole day lineup or at least 4-5 per day (or you would pay to see the headliner). Especially when you have megabills (like Outlaw Fest) that are accessible for a fraction of the price or you can target your priority artists for a fraction of it.

That Riot Fest lineup is a great example - $160 or $175 to take a chance on it? Absolutely. $300? Ehhhhh....

My girlfriend and I were talking about this with Boston Calling which is the same issue. Just going by year for base level prices

2017: $269 (first year at the bigger open venue - this also resulted in higher tier headliners, albeit not a huge jump)
2019: $264 (this is what I could find though I think it gradually went up and ended around $300ish)
2022: $370 (currently, it was less early on, a fairer quote is probably $350 or so)

Like, the fest grew of course, but it's so much harder to justify a 3 day GA ticket price of $300+ when you can only see so many acts in a day. Even at $175, you probably only need 1-2 artists you'd pay to see a day to make it worth it. Now you kind of need that whole day lineup or at least 4-5 per day (or you would pay to see the headliner). Especially when you have megabills (like Outlaw Fest) that are accessible for a fraction of the price or you can target your priority artists for a fraction of it.

That Riot Fest lineup is a great example - $160 or $175 to take a chance on it? Absolutely. $300? Ehhhhh....
Fest promoters are probably trying to squeeze as much as they can out of attendees. But I'd imagine that costs for permits, band fees, and vendors has gone up as well, so it's proportional.

Fest promoters are probably trying to squeeze as much as they can out of attendees. But I'd imagine that costs for permits, band fees, and vendors has gone up as well, so it's proportional.

For sure, it just changes the calculus of how worth it it is - we are seeing this with regular concerts too where prices are going up across the board by notable amounts (though I question if a 2x cost over 7 years ago or a 40% premium over 5 years ago isn't just a bit more of a squeeze than needed).

(though I question if a 2x cost over 7 years ago or a 40% premium over 5 years ago isn't just a bit more of a squeeze than needed).
It definitely is. But most fans will probably still pay it and they'll make a killing. I've been more selective with what shows I want to see because it's rare you're getting anything under $30 for a regional touring band unless they're local. Factor in fees and it's close to $50. A couple of beers at the show and all of a sudden you're paying like $75 a show. It's starting to be not worth it for a band that I'm not a big fan of.

Funny enough, due to Boston Calling selling tickets over two and a half years and losing all three of the original headliners to re-scheduling, injury, or tragedy, the re-sale prices on 3 Day Passes are low to the point where I may end up there. VIP and GA sitting on Stubhub/Vividseats at a fraction of retail - even less than single day values are which makes no sense really.

On that note…anyone have any artists I need to not miss at Boston Calling?

I’ve seen a handful of them before but we don’t have many hard commitments.

You know, Festival Jadedness is wild. And I say this with my BC posts above, but this is my first year going to Newport Folk and Brandi Carlile & Friends was just announced. The people on Inforoo seem...sad? About it. Like, I get she's a frequent flier but if I'm ever sad about Brandi Carlile appearing to sing music live at a place I'm at, they should probably just lay me down to rest for good. She's a top tier live performer, outdoors on a summer night in a really chill crowd. I can't imagine much better.

I dunno, I feel like we see this a lot where people get really into something and become impossible to please. It's a bummer. I'm looking so forward to this.

Last edited:
I'm not in festaival shape and the temperature and logistics are really rough but Newport is delivering hard this year. Paul Simon last night was an amazing surprise but pretty much every set I've seen was very very good. Linda Lindas killed, Adia Victoria is a revelation live, etc.

I am not uncritical, and will admit that the headliners are seriously underwhelming this year. That said, this is a deep lineup with very little filler. I might be most excited about the bands in the third tier: Frankie & the Witch Fingers, Margo Cilker, Kassi Valazza, and Tobacco City are all going to be rad. Beyond that, Built to Spill and the UK jazz acts (Sons of Kemet, Nubya Garcia, Emma-Jean Thackray) have me fired up.

Regardless, Pickathon is mostly about the experience. Without exaggeration, it is unlike any other festival I have ever been to. Everything is designed so well, amazing food and beverage, no price gouging, all of the little details attended to. We have taken our daughters every year since they were 7 or so, camping on the farm all weekend. I'll typically see 20-25 bands over the course of the weekend, all at close range. I have discovered so many great bands for the first time at Pickathon, before they gained a wider audience. The lineup never blows you away up front, but you always go home with 3-5 of your favorite new bands. Underrated curation in my opinion.

We're going

Plus GZA and Wetleg are on the lineup now.

Surprised nobody mentioned Armand Hammer

Also, this Blue Note Jazz festival in Napa Valley on the same weekend is a kick in the balls. That lineup is so much better in my opinion.

Also, this Blue Note Jazz festival in Napa Valley on the same weekend is a kick in the balls. That lineup is so much better in my opinion.
Evidently the festival isn't selling well and there are discounted tickets to be had. A huge bummer as I agree it's a great lineup.

Going to my first Newport Jazz this weekend. Anybody been before - any tips?

So it looks like Newport Jazz and Newport Folk have the same rules, scheduling set-up, etc. Off of my whole two days of experience, here's some of my thoughts

Stages

• The Fort is your big stage, this is where a lot of people will set up their camp for the day (blankets and chairs mostly with full on shade tents in the back) - likely by getting there at or before doors and rushing to their spot. You don't have to be there early to find a spot to sit on the fringes or to get close up in the standing area (except for the final acts) but it's generally the popular "home base" area. You'll likely see a lot of abandoned chairs and blankets for most of the day. The right side has a bit of a slope with a slightly better view, the left side puts you closer to the other two stages for less walking and more stuff to be seen, and the back gives you easiest access to the shared shade tent, food tents, alcohol pavilion, etc.
  • The Quad is your second stage - a smaller stage but a lot of green areas with some limited shaded areas (that people will set-up and stay in all day) I thought it was the nicest area but it also has the fewest refuges from the heat and probably most limited set of good angles to size (and the worst sound). The upside is that it's easily the most spacious area, unless you want to be super close it should never feel crowded.
  • The Harbor is your third stage, it is the smallest stage and area but is likely your best chance to get up close and personal. The Harbor and Quad also both have shaded seating right in front of the performances - getting in there can be tough and you probably need to plan it out by being there when the last artist ends and sniping a seat.
  • For this, the two primary strategies seem to either be staying at a stage for multiple sets prioritizing a good spot or being a nomad and floating between sets all day. I admit I was much more the former in the heat, but if it were like 70 degrees I'd recommend the latter - too much high quality talent to settle for full sets of a third of them.

Experience
  • I strongly recommend at least bringing blankets. I personally hate the blanket/chair space hoarding culture I saw, but you may want it to hold your space if you get there early and even if you're nomadic, having a blanket to put on the grass/dirt can be really nice, you might want it over you like Linus Van Pelt to block out the sun, etc.
  • Bring at least one large reusable water bottle. On the second day we had several sealed water bottles and reusables and my Camelbak. There are several water stations but it'll go quick when it's warm and you'll want it on your body. Likewise, bring and apply sunscreen liberally - I applied religiously and still ended up toasty.
  • Bring cash - they don't say it but the internet is spotty on the Fort and point of sale goes down and some stands are cash only at times or all day. If they get similar food vendors to Folk you'll be full and happy but if you go card only you'll be limited. The general store near the entrance is a sneaky good option for cold bottled water, ice cream novelties, and a way to get out of the sun for five minutes - also near the only permanent bathrooms on site
  • Speaking of food and drink, great food lineup is back. I didn't have a bad meal all weekend, but things will run out at times as the day goes on. Ben and Jerry's, Clyde's Cupcakes, and especially Del's Lemonade are your saviors when overheating. Matunuck Oyster Bar's seafood was really good, the Pierogis were solid enough, and both Greek food stands were hits for patrons.
  • The beer and wine gardens have long lines and are very removed from the action - I think it makes for a better overall atmosphere but you're not gonna be able to have a nice glass of wine and be close to the jazz.
  • Get shade. I feel like I've said this a lot and I am very heat sensitive but I swear, it's gonna be hot and it's so easy to get lost in it all. I saw people carted out and the fest, while among the best run I've seen, does not provide ample shaded spots unless you hoard it. Due to, ya know, science, the sun moves. So your shaded areas will change a ton through the day. The fort doesn't get natural shade outside of some against the back wall the stage is on. On the quad, your far back walls will have shade until about 3 PM. The Harbor gets it on the edges at different points of the date.
Transportation
  • There are three primary ways to the Fort
    • Driving: This is popular and is kind of a pain - it is what we did. Generally, if you get there early you'll be parked in one of the closer lots - this is easier to get out (after the bikes are all let out) and is a shorter walk to the venue. The later you get there, the more likely you're in one of the farther lots, which is longer to get out. Other than that, it's like Gilford - getting 10k people out of an area not meant to hold it. We waited probably an hour or so each night to get out, the second night we just stayed park and enjoyed the view of the sun setting over the ocean instead of sitting in the line. There are shuttles (school buses) going around picking up people from the entrance/lots and rotating - the walk from Lot 1 is long but okay, I wouldn't recommend walking from Lot 4 or the nearby school.
    • Biking: A lot of people will rent or bring their bikes, stay in a local area of Newport or a nearby town, and bike in. It's likely your shortest wait of any of the three, and if you're an experienced biker is what regulars recommend - you can even drive in, park off site, and then bike in and out to the fest. With that said, if you're not comfortable on a bike I struggle to recommend this with the amount of car traffic in the area.
    • Water Taxi: If you're saying in Newport or Jamestown (I think), you can take a water taxi in from the town to the Fort and have a short walk to the entrance - a good option if you're staying in the town or want to get dinner after the fest and have your car there.
  • There is no re-entry and even if there was, you're a while out from anything else of note in Newport.
  • When leaving, the general choice is either skip out on some or all of the main set or sit in some sort of line if you don't bike in. I stayed the whole time both days, though I think you can make that choice based on feeling.

You know, Festival Jadedness is wild. And I say this with my BC posts above, but this is my first year going to Newport Folk and Brandi Carlile & Friends was just announced. The people on Inforoo seem...sad? About it. Like, I get she's a frequent flier but if I'm ever sad about Brandi Carlile appearing to sing music live at a place I'm at, they should probably just lay me down to rest for good. She's a top tier live performer, outdoors on a summer night in a really chill crowd. I can't imagine much better.

I dunno, I feel like we see this a lot where people get really into something and become impossible to please. It's a bummer. I'm looking so forward to this.

so yeah, this turned out pretty well for you! so jealous, just based on the various videos that have been posted/shared. seems like the weekend was pretty steallar all around.

So it looks like Newport Jazz and Newport Folk have the same rules, scheduling set-up, etc. Off of my whole two days of experience, here's some of my thoughts

Stages

• The Fort is your big stage, this is where a lot of people will set up their camp for the day (blankets and chairs mostly with full on shade tents in the back) - likely by getting there at or before doors and rushing to their spot. You don't have to be there early to find a spot to sit on the fringes or to get close up in the standing area (except for the final acts) but it's generally the popular "home base" area. You'll likely see a lot of abandoned chairs and blankets for most of the day. The right side has a bit of a slope with a slightly better view, the left side puts you closer to the other two stages for less walking and more stuff to be seen, and the back gives you easiest access to the shared shade tent, food tents, alcohol pavilion, etc.
  • The Quad is your second stage - a smaller stage but a lot of green areas with some limited shaded areas (that people will set-up and stay in all day) I thought it was the nicest area but it also has the fewest refuges from the heat and probably most limited set of good angles to size (and the worst sound). The upside is that it's easily the most spacious area, unless you want to be super close it should never feel crowded.
  • The Harbor is your third stage, it is the smallest stage and area but is likely your best chance to get up close and personal. The Harbor and Quad also both have shaded seating right in front of the performances - getting in there can be tough and you probably need to plan it out by being there when the last artist ends and sniping a seat.
  • For this, the two primary strategies seem to either be staying at a stage for multiple sets prioritizing a good spot or being a nomad and floating between sets all day. I admit I was much more the former in the heat, but if it were like 70 degrees I'd recommend the latter - too much high quality talent to settle for full sets of a third of them.

Experience
  • I strongly recommend at least bringing blankets. I personally hate the blanket/chair space hoarding culture I saw, but you may want it to hold your space if you get there early and even if you're nomadic, having a blanket to put on the grass/dirt can be really nice, you might want it over you like Linus Van Pelt to block out the sun, etc.
  • Bring at least one large reusable water bottle. On the second day we had several sealed water bottles and reusables and my Camelbak. There are several water stations but it'll go quick when it's warm and you'll want it on your body. Likewise, bring and apply sunscreen liberally - I applied religiously and still ended up toasty.
  • Bring cash - they don't say it but the internet is spotty on the Fort and point of sale goes down and some stands are cash only at times or all day. If they get similar food vendors to Folk you'll be full and happy but if you go card only you'll be limited. The general store near the entrance is a sneaky good option for cold bottled water, ice cream novelties, and a way to get out of the sun for five minutes - also near the only permanent bathrooms on site
  • Speaking of food and drink, great food lineup is back. I didn't have a bad meal all weekend, but things will run out at times as the day goes on. Ben and Jerry's, Clyde's Cupcakes, and especially Del's Lemonade are your saviors when overheating. Matunuck Oyster Bar's seafood was really good, the Pierogis were solid enough, and both Greek food stands were hits for patrons.
  • The beer and wine gardens have long lines and are very removed from the action - I think it makes for a better overall atmosphere but you're not gonna be able to have a nice glass of wine and be close to the jazz.
  • Get shade. I feel like I've said this a lot and I am very heat sensitive but I swear, it's gonna be hot and it's so easy to get lost in it all. I saw people carted out and the fest, while among the best run I've seen, does not provide ample shaded spots unless you hoard it. Due to, ya know, science, the sun moves. So your shaded areas will change a ton through the day. The fort doesn't get natural shade outside of some against the back wall the stage is on. On the quad, your far back walls will have shade until about 3 PM. The Harbor gets it on the edges at different points of the date.
Transportation
  • There are three primary ways to the Fort
    • Driving: This is popular and is kind of a pain - it is what we did. Generally, if you get there early you'll be parked in one of the closer lots - this is easier to get out (after the bikes are all let out) and is a shorter walk to the venue. The later you get there, the more likely you're in one of the farther lots, which is longer to get out. Other than that, it's like Gilford - getting 10k people out of an area not meant to hold it. We waited probably an hour or so each night to get out, the second night we just stayed park and enjoyed the view of the sun setting over the ocean instead of sitting in the line. There are shuttles (school buses) going around picking up people from the entrance/lots and rotating - the walk from Lot 1 is long but okay, I wouldn't recommend walking from Lot 4 or the nearby school.
    • Biking: A lot of people will rent or bring their bikes, stay in a local area of Newport or a nearby town, and bike in. It's likely your shortest wait of any of the three, and if you're an experienced biker is what regulars recommend - you can even drive in, park off site, and then bike in and out to the fest. With that said, if you're not comfortable on a bike I struggle to recommend this with the amount of car traffic in the area.
    • Water Taxi: If you're saying in Newport or Jamestown (I think), you can take a water taxi in from the town to the Fort and have a short walk to the entrance - a good option if you're staying in the town or want to get dinner after the fest and have your car there.
  • There is no re-entry and even if there was, you're a while out from anything else of note in Newport.
  • When leaving, the general choice is either skip out on some or all of the main set or sit in some sort of line if you don't bike in. I stayed the whole time both days, though I think you can make that choice based on feeling.

Thank you so much, this is extremely helpful! I was confused about how to really tackle this festival and this is great insight.

Back