Movies

Finally sat down and watched Old Joy, my first (long overdue) Reichardt movie. This movie's been on my radar since it came out; I don't know what capacity I saw the trailer in (maybe it was one of the inexplicable slew of trailers sitting in my itunes back then), but I remembered so many shots of it from college. Back then I knew the movie had a reputation for being slow and light on events; I'm glad I hadn't seen it until now because now all I have is patience for slow, eventless movies. I also spent this weekend on a couples camping trip, and the conversation of adult male friendships came up; this movie was some uncanny supplemental material for that convo.
Will Oldham was an actor before he was a musician though the only other role I can remember him from is that of a cop in R. Kelly’s epic “Trapped In The Closet” video.

Wendy & Lucy is worth a watch but is also kind of a bummer up there with Old Yeller as far a sad dog movies go. Meek’s Cutoff is great like a nightmarish movie version of The Oregon Trail. I still need to give First Cow a watch especially based off all the rave reviews on this thread.

Will Oldham was an actor before he was a musician though the only other role I can remember him from is that of a cop in R. Kelly’s epic “Trapped In The Closet” video.

Wendy & Lucy is worth a watch but is also kind of a bummer up there with Old Yeller as far a sad dog movies go. Meek’s Cutoff is great like a nightmarish movie version of The Oregon Trail. I still need to give First Cow a watch especially based off all the rave reviews on this thread.
There's a little indie film called The Guatamalen Handshake where he plays a demolition derby driver who disappears under mysterious circumstances. It's on Vimeo apparently; I remember being really interested in seeing it because of it has a (it turns out) small appearance from Cory McAbee, director/star of The American Astronaut (anyone here know that one?). It's on Vimeo, apparently, uploaded by the director. I haven't seen it since '08 and I recall it being slow but full of ideas.

Definitely going to fill all my Reichardt gaps; I was inspired because a friend who does camera work is on the crew of her next project. I don't know when I'll watch Wendy & Lucy; I hear it's good but I'm sure I'll have to hold my dog through the entire runtime.

There's a little indie film called The Guatamalen Handshake where he plays a demolition derby driver who disappears under mysterious circumstances. It's on Vimeo apparently; I remember being really interested in seeing it because of it has a (it turns out) small appearance from Cory McAbee, director/star of The American Astronaut (anyone here know that one?). It's on Vimeo, apparently, uploaded by the director. I haven't seen it since '08 and I recall it being slow but full of ideas.

Definitely going to fill all my Reichardt gaps; I was inspired because a friend who does camera work is on the crew of her next project. I don't know when I'll watch Wendy & Lucy; I hear it's good but I'm sure I'll have to hold my dog through the entire runtime.
TBF the dog ends likely ends up in a better place than Wendy.

Watched "Yesterday". I would say I wouldn't enjoy this at all if i didn't like the Beatles. Not really a fan of generic romcoms but essentially that's what this is disguised as a love letter to the beatles. I wish there was something more interesting about the concept. They offer no clues to why anything happened or any aftermath really. The 1 scene I did like was SPOILERS - the lennon scene. but other than that, this movie is a bit generic.

Watched "Yesterday". I would say I wouldn't enjoy this at all if i didn't like the Beatles. Not really a fan of generic romcoms but essentially that's what this is disguised as a love letter to the beatles. I wish there was something more interesting about the concept. They offer no clues to why anything happened or any aftermath really. The 1 scene I did like was SPOILERS - the lennon scene. but other than that, this movie is a bit generic.
I loved it m especially that scene you've referred too ..proper shiver down the spine moment, beautifully done .

I also really liked Blinded by the light ..a proper love letter to the boss

So I rewatched the 2007 Ghost Rider film last night hoping it was better than I remembered it being. I went into it wanting to like it but unfortunately it's just a very average, bland comic book movie and a lot of the effects look very cheesy and poorly aged. There's some okay stuff in it, but it's an underwhelming movie that doesn't use the character to his full potential.

Then I watched Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance and realized that maybe the first movie isn't so bad after all.

Halloween Kills trailer (I've put in spoilers because there is a lot in it and some may want to go in to the movie blind):

I honestly haven't been this hyped for a movie ever. I love the Halloween franchise, warts and all.

I'm right there with you. Watched the trailer in bed yesterday morning and my wife wasn't so keen. But I sure as shit am!

Back