Movies

I guess I was thinking someone like Guillermo del Toro, for whom his Hellboy movies are every bit as much a personal labor of (unabashedly silly) love as his Criterion Collection-released films.

Definitely an exception, I wish we were still in a time where weird major studio shit like this was still the norm. GDT's Hellboys would be vetted and chopped to hell in 2021.

I don't know. I like cape shit and would definitely go see a movie about a female superhero magician if it's as well written as Promising Young Female. I don't think she's just doing it for a payday. Maybe she'd like to write a unique superhero story. Kind of like Phoebe Waller Bridge writing the screenplay for a Bond film.

I hope this is the case, but my cynicism tells me otherwise. PWB only did the rewrites on the Bond film, but I'm definitely excited to see how that turns out.

I dunno, I liken it to bands or musicians getting a major label deal. Sometimes (a lotta times) the music suffers because a bigger budget doesn't always mean better music. Too many cooks and all that. But you can't help but be happy for them because they've put in their dues and are getting noticed in a major way. Not to mention the money is better. I don't feel bad for these people, but yes sometimes the art suffers. Especially in a setting such as MCU, which is already super formulaic and keeps a certain tone, they have to know that their voices aren't going to completely translate into the film. But sometimes you gotta do a money project so you can afford to do more passion projects.

To a degree I think this is true, and it would definitely depend on the label/movie studio, but I feel like musicians have much more freedom than a director would. If an album's budget was 150 million, the producer would absolutely be coming in to twist their arm.

so what are your thoughts on For All Mankind?
Nice segue! I’m sure you’re asking about the television series, but I’ll say I’m a HUGE fan of the Al Reinert documentary (and Eno soundtrack). One of my most prized Criterions, and I have an original pressing of Eno’s Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks in VG+ condition to go with it.

But I haven’t watched the series yet! It’s on my list and I’ll probably be starting it soon. I’m not a binge-watcher so I move through TV series very slow. I just finished Lupin, which I thought was great. Next up is Season 3 of Killing Eve, then probably For All Mankind.

I guess I was thinking someone like Guillermo del Toro, for whom his Hellboy movies are every bit as much a personal labor of (unabashedly silly) love as his Criterion Collection-released films.
Hellboy 1 is GREAT but none of the recent superhero movies have anywhere near that level of personal touch. Even things like Thor Ragnarok are cookie cutter compared to Waititi's other movies. As much as they are not my thing, the stupid Zack Snyder movies are the most "personal" superhero movies we've gotten lately and we saw how successful those were.

I don't begrudge the directors making money, we all have to. But if people are not dismayed by the restricted creativity people who make movies have then I don't know what to say.

The vicious cycle continues

Zatanna could be cool. Constantine was rad and you have Sandman coming up, who knows how that will be like... They could do neat things with this magical pocket of the DC universe if they put in the effort.

so what are your thoughts on For All Mankind?

Nice segue! I’m sure you’re asking about the television series, but I’ll say I’m a HUGE fan of the Al Reinert documentary (and Eno soundtrack). One of my most prized Criterions, and I have an original pressing of Eno’s Apollo: Atmospheres and Soundtracks in VG+ condition to go with it.

But I haven’t watched the series yet! It’s on my list and I’ll probably be starting it soon. I’m not a binge-watcher so I move through TV series very slow. I just finished Lupin, which I thought was great. Next up is Season 3 of Killing Eve, then probably For All Mankind.
I loved For All Mankind. It does start to get more 'out there' as the series progresses, but the whole thing is fantastically done. Superb premise, great actors, and lots of avenues to explore.

Finally got around to seeing the Justice League director's cut version. First of all, I did not know it was 4 hrs long until I started watching it. I was like "when does this wrap up it's been almost 2 hrs?" :cautious:🤦‍♀️ Should've done some research first. But other than that I do like this version better. It gives more details to the characters and the storyline that I foundhelped enhance the experience. I would recommend it but don't be a dodo like me and be prepared for a 4 hr movie.

when does this wrap up it's been almost 2 hrs?"
Unrelated to JL but I’ve been finding that lately I’ve grown a bit anxious about runtimes in general. Especially with the ability to view runtimes constantly via streaming services. I will find myself watching a movie I’ve seen 5-10 times and clicking pause, seeing there’s only 15 minutes left and thinking “HOW WILL THEY FIT THIS EPIC ENDING IN ONLY 15 MIN”. It mostly occurs when I’m watching with someone else that hasn’t seen the movie. It’s like I’m on the edge of my seat all over again. Then of course they somehow pull it off, the bastards somehow did it again.

I think I just have a warped sense of time.

I don’t think I’m going to watch Justice League. I didn’t see the theatrical release. With the exception of the Green Lantern universe, Watchmen and Batman, I find the DC world to be boring.

Unrelated to JL but I’ve been finding that lately I’ve grown a bit anxious about runtimes in general. Especially with the ability to view runtimes constantly via streaming services. I will find myself watching a movie I’ve seen 5-10 times and clicking pause, seeing there’s only 15 minutes left and thinking “HOW WILL THEY FIT THIS EPIC ENDING IN ONLY 15 MIN”. It mostly occurs when I’m watching with someone else that hasn’t seen the movie. It’s like I’m on the edge of my seat all over again. Then of course they somehow pull it off, the bastards somehow did it again.

I think I just have a warped sense of time.
This is how I felt while watching the Wonder Woman 1984 movie. I was getting anxious on how they planned on wrapping things up. Like there was so much build up theroughtout the movie, and the last 15 minutes sucked (IMO) and was anticlimactic.

Decided to watch Terminator Dark Fate for some reason... it wasn't bad! But its essentially pretty much a mix of the plot from T1 & T2 - which is why I probably like it. Even Arnold & Linda Hamilton is in it. But given the choice, I'd probably just watch T1 or T2 again.

Back