Movies

his "Milwaukee" was so obviously not Milwaukee enough for this SE Wisconsinite.

This happened to me when I watched Big Little Lies a couple years ago- I live in Monterey, but it was painfully obvious to me that some of it was filmed in southern California. Then there were all the times I was thinking "um, no rich locals would be hanging out THERE- it's a pure tourist trap!" or "um, if they just crossed that bridge on their drive across town then they just took an hour-and-a-half round trip for what should have been a 5 minute drive!"

This happened to me when I watched Big Little Lies a couple years ago- I live in Monterey, but it was painfully obvious to me that some of it was filmed in southern California. Then there were all the times I was thinking "um, no rich locals would be hanging out THERE- it's a pure tourist trap!" or "um, if they just crossed that bridge on their drive across town then they just took an hour-and-a-half round trip for what should have been a 5 minute drive!"
They turned Glasgow into Philly for World War Z. It was strange, but also kind of cool seeing US street signs etc. up in place of what we usually have.

Watched some kick ass movies this week: Violation, Woodlands Dark & Days Bewitched: A History of Folk Horror, and The Sound of Violence.

Violation was trippy and very Lars Von Trier-esque. Well done, but needed a bit of editing. Still, def worth a watch since Shudder picked it up after it premiered.

Woodlands Dark & Days Bewitched was epic. 3-hour deep dive on the topic of folk horror in film. They referenced over 200 diff movies and had 50 or so movie experts, directors, and authors weigh in on the film genres and such. I came away with a huge to-watch list.

Sound of Violence was the best of the three. A unique take on one of the horror genres most overused tropes. Highly recommended.

For those with HBO, who want something fun and foreign to watch, La odisea de los giles ("The Odyssey of the Fools"... although it's marketed as Heroic Losers in English), starring the great Ricardo Darín, is a heist movie about a group of rural nobodies in Argentina in 2001, when the financial crisis hits and a thieving lawyer steals all the money they'd saved to open a co-op in their small town. They decide to steal the money back, but it ends up being a bit more complicated than they expected... It isn't gonna blow your mind or anything, but it's an underdog heist film done well with some quirky characters.

And while I'm thinking of Argentina, one of my favorite heist films ever also stars Ricardo Darín- Nueve Reinas (Nine Queens), about two conmen who team up to sell some fake stamps.
I gave Heroic Losers a watch last night after your rec and it was pretty solid -- thanks. You're right, nothing mind-blowing, but the characters are extremely entertaining, and just really great faces to look at. The rural 2001-era Argentina setting was a nice escape as well.

I gave Heroic Losers a watch last night after your rec and it was pretty solid -- thanks. You're right, nothing mind-blowing, but the characters are extremely entertaining, and just really great faces to look at. The rural 2001-era Argentina setting was a nice escape as well.

I spent 2002-2004 in rural Argentina, so it's got an extra nostalgia factor for me- I met people a lot like some of those characters.

Totally unrelated: is your avatar a photo of Alexi Leonev, the first man to walk in space?

Devil's advocate:

What if they want to?
Good for them! I'm sure it's a nice pay day.

I can't imagine, though, that a filmmaker like Barry Jenkins set out on his career with the intention of adding a lion king film to his filmography, or Emerald Finnell a Zatanna film (I've honestly never even heard of this one).

It's just a bummer as an audience member because these films do nothing to employ their director's voices. Edgar Wright left Ant Man because they wouldn't let him do anything interesting. Captain Marvel is as white bread as it gets, and is nothing like anything else Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck have ever made.

Good for them! I'm sure it's a nice pay day.

I can't imagine, though, that a filmmaker like Barry Jenkins set out on his career with the intention of adding a lion king film to his filmography, or Emerald Finnell a Zatanna film (I've honestly never even heard of this one).

It's just a bummer as an audience member because these films do nothing to employ their director's voices. Edgar Wright left Ant Man because they wouldn't let him do anything interesting. Captain Marvel is as white bread as it gets, and is nothing like anything else Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck have ever made.

Sorry, I deleted my comment (before this comment but not soon enough to avoid getting quoted) because it was stupid.

Sorry, I deleted my comment (before this comment but not soon enough to avoid getting quoted) because it was stupid.
I mean, it's a reasonable point. It just sucks we have to live in a time where mid budget dramas/indies don't make money for their filmmakers. I'm imagining if every other film in Martin Scorsese's filmog was a friday the 13th film so he could get his next one financed.

I don't know. I like cape shit and would definitely go see a movie about a female superhero magician if it's as well written as Promising Young Female. I don't think she's just doing it for a payday. Maybe she'd like to write a unique superhero story. Kind of like Phoebe Waller Bridge writing the screenplay for a Bond film.

I don't know. I like cape shit and would definitely go see a movie about a female superhero magician if it's as well written as Promising Young Female. I don't think she's just doing it for a payday. Maybe she'd like to write a unique superhero story. Kind of like Phoebe Waller Bridge writing the screenplay for a Bond film.
Cathy Yan and Margot Robbie both rescued the DCEU with BoP. Someone's got to keep pushing for goodness!

I dunno, I liken it to bands or musicians getting a major label deal. Sometimes (a lotta times) the music suffers because a bigger budget doesn't always mean better music. Too many cooks and all that. But you can't help but be happy for them because they've put in their dues and are getting noticed in a major way. Not to mention the money is better. I don't feel bad for these people, but yes sometimes the art suffers. Especially in a setting such as MCU, which is already super formulaic and keeps a certain tone, they have to know that their voices aren't going to completely translate into the film. But sometimes you gotta do a money project so you can afford to do more passion projects.

Back