Movies

A bad film might ruin a career, but it's hard to imagine a studio taking that kind of risk ever again. Worst case, you just call in Ron Howard or Joss Whedon to fix it in post, right?
Disney owns like a 3rd of the industry at this point and they have reached “top bid to fail” status. I doubt that would ever happen (at least at that magnitude) ever again.

Tenet is not that bad, it's just very much forgettable in my book. It'll make money, it'll not tank, just because there will be some audience that will want to dissect it for the sake of it and like Inception, try to find meaning beyond what was probably intended as just winks for palindrome and Tenet square nerds.

And then they'll defend the movie on reddit, whatever it takes.

I'm just sad Nolan didn't try to dwelve on visuals on this one, there is so much visual potential untapped there imo.

The concensus I've seen for Tenet is that it's visually spectacular, but impersonal and convoluted, thinks it's a lot smarter than it is, and is loaded with expository dialogue, which is a concensus I can apply in varying degrees to every one of Nolan's movies, so I'm not surprised. I'm sure it's entertaining and fine.

Anyone else playing along for HoopTober on Letterboxd this year?

Watched Get Duked! on amazon prime. It was pretty hilarious. Imagine an Edgar Wright film with a dose of hip-hop. I know it just came out, but surprised how little this one is being talked about.

Bill and Ted Face the Music was a lot of fun and a fitting end to the story. I didn't love it as much as the first two, but I got a lot of good laughs and the music was rad.
There was top of the line fan service in this film. I loved it, but I can't imagine getting into it without having an appreciation for the other two films.

There was top of the line fan service in this film. I loved it, but I can't imagine getting into it without having an appreciation for the other two films.
On no, absolutely. I think it had a nice mix of the "Race against time" story-line of the first move and the fever dream surrealism of the second. But if you don't know and love the first two, you didn't grow up with them, I could see it falling flat. I thought it was wholesome and fun.

So Austin Powers International Man of Mystery and it’s sequels are on cable. I have not seen any of them in a while but watching them back, I can’t help but think these flicks should be the definitive example for diminishing returns. The first film is great, funny and goofy in the best ways you would want on a parody of this nature but the second film is just the same jokes but bigger and by the third film the things that made you chuckle the first time around now just make you groan.

So Austin Powers International Man of Mystery and it’s sequels are on cable. I have not seen any of them in a while but watching them back, I can’t help but think these flicks should be the definitive example for diminishing returns. The first film is great, funny and goofy in the best ways you would want on a parody of this nature but the second film is just the same jokes but bigger and by the third film the things that made you chuckle the first time around now just make you groan.

And spawned thousands of bad impressions

Funny, I just rewatched So I Married an Ax Murderer last night. It’s a bit dated but I still enjoy the hell out of it.

Funny, I just rewatched So I Married an Ax Murderer last night. It’s a bit dated but I still enjoy the hell out of it.
Yeah, I liked Mikes Myers movie run up until Austin Powers it just became too much of a thing and his head got too big (I remember reading he was a bit of a pill to work with too) after he crashed and burned with the Love Guru I think he’s seems like he learned and I enjoy when he occasionally pops up I’m things now.

Yeah, I liked Mikes Myers movie run up until Austin Powers it just became too much of a thing and his head got too big (I remember reading he was a bit of a pill to work with too) after he crashed and burned with the Love Guru I think he’s seems like he learned and I enjoy when he occasionally pops up I’m things now.
Yeah, it was funny, last night as I was watching he did a random voice and I instantly thought that that was the inspiration for his character in Bohemian Rhapsody.

Back