Movies

Yeah the dark rises goes on a bit alright but it has its moments. The first two were pretty exceptional though! The thoughts of Mr Freeze just make me cringe lol.
To me it's just the type of bad I prefer, it feels more fun to me to watch a two-hour long trainwreck that's so bad it's funny and at least has some style, than to watch a three-hour slog that just goes on and on

I would almost agree with you but I love the opening sequence of Dark Knight Rises it might be my favorite scene of any of Nolan’s Batman run. Plus Tom Hardy’s Baine is ton’s of fun. Outside of the Batsuit’s new found nipples I don’t recall anything redeem Batman & Robin.
It's been a while since I saw TDKR so maybe it's better now than it was then, Bane was the only part of it I kind of liked and even then that didn't hit a home run for me all the way.

I would make a case B&R is better just in pure entertainment value. Like yeah TDKR is a more competently made film but IMO it's not fun and feels like a chore. B&R is such a ridiculous and over the top movie that it's hard not to enjoy it if you know what you're getting going in.

It's been a while since I saw TDKR so maybe it's better now than it was then, Bane was the only part of it I kind of liked and even then that didn't hit a home run for me all the way.

I would make a case B&R is better just in pure entertainment value. Like yeah TDKR is a more competently made film but IMO it's not fun and feels like a chore. B&R is such a ridiculous and over the top movie that it's hard not to enjoy it if you know what you're getting going in.
Yeah, I think both TDK and TDKR are so eager to explore morality and fear and justice and whatever that they lose sight of the fact that they're about a guy who dresses as a bat and punches people. Less pathos, more pathology, please.

Hot take: I'd watch Batman & Robin twice before bothering to sit through The Dark Knight Rises again.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

@Joe Mac Yeah the dark rises goes on a bit alright but it has its moments. The first two were pretty exceptional though! The thoughts of Mr Freeze just make me cringe lol.

Hang on, people like Batman Begins? That movie put 12 year old Enaz to sleep in the theater. Hope we actually get a cool take on Scarecrow at some point. Batman and Robin was the first Batman movie I got to see in theaters as a kid so even with as much hate as it gets it always holds a special place with me. Batman Returns is still my favorite and is a yearly watch for me around Christmas. I'm excited for the new one, I hope they nail the vision they are going for, Riddler seems sweet.

Hang on, people like Batman Begins? That movie put 12 year old Enaz to sleep in the theater. Hope we actually get a cool take on Scarecrow at some point. Batman and Robin was the first Batman movie I got to see in theaters as a kid so as much hates as it gets it always holds a special place with me. Batman Returns is still my favorite and is a yearly watch for me around Christmas. I'm excited for the new one, I hope they nail the vision they are going for, Riddler seems sweet.
Batman Returns is one of the best. Honestly both of the ones Burton was in control still feel to me the closest representation on the big screen of what a Batman movie should strive for, stylish and fun with a dark edge. Nolan's movies are good but I just don't get the same sense of style from them. Like @Indymisanthrope said, they feel really bogged down in trying to elevate Batman to this gritty and cerebral thing that just gets tiring to watch. Nolan's trilogy to me is one great film sandwiched between two ok ones (Batman Begins being better than TDKR but still). I think the residual highs of TDK bleed onto the other films and make people rate them higher just because of the connection.

Yeah I mean that’s as much a comment on the calibre of the actors that went before them. I don’t think he’s close to having Christian Bale’s range and while Clooney stunk Batman up he’s more than proven himself to be a good dramatic actor. Keaton is also another good actor. Much better than Val Kilmer though, he’s as wooden as fuck.

I lol'd so hard at the though that Christian Bale has range. He can physically transform and is not a bad actor, but I would not say he has a huge range, nor is a risk taker. Gaining or losing weight / muscle is not having range as an actor. Directors love him for playing driven characters and that's pretty much it, he usually nails that. But I have yet to see a movie where he feels emotionally vulnerable for example.

Pattinson on the other hand can switch from driven to vulnerable to insane, and yes I despise the Twilight saga and there were movies were he was mediocre, but I don't know any actor that had an impeccable career, there is always the odd one.

I know there have been like five movies released this year, but I think “Boys State” is my favorite of 2020 so far.

definitely worthy of a free trial of Apple TV+

So. Tenet.

Huge disappointment. It's a bit bloated and pompous, but mainly, the high concept was supposed to transpose with great visual, and... meh. Nothing interesting, the third act is almost as interesting as a live play of Call of Duty.
That’s disappointing to hear. Though, I kinda figured Christopher Nolan was heading toward his version of Heaven’s Gate for some time now. I really enjoyed Dunkirk but I think it being a historical piece helped rein him in a bit.

That’s disappointing to hear. Though, I kinda figured Christopher Nolan was heading toward his version of Heaven’s Gate for some time now. I really enjoyed Dunkirk but I think it being a historical piece helped rein him in a bit.
Honestly I'd love to see a mess big enough to be Nolan's Heaven's Gate. A failure both big and bad enough to bankrupt an entire studio and completely nuke his career would be remarkable.

Well, I mean there is a bit of hyperbole.
I definitely understand; even if this movie turns out as a complete critical and commercial failure (which doesn't seem to be the case; it sounds like it's a C-plus movie and while it'll make a decent buck its financial performance is too closely tied to a global disaster to be the actual movie's fault), Nolan is definitely working again. I'm just trying to picture how audacious or unenjoyable a Nolan movie would have to be to truly land him in director jail.

Honestly I'd love to see a mess big enough to be Nolan's Heaven's Gate. A failure both big and bad enough to bankrupt an entire studio and completely nuke his career would be remarkable.
A bad film might ruin a career, but it's hard to imagine a studio taking that kind of risk ever again. Worst case, you just call in Ron Howard or Joss Whedon to fix it in post, right?

Edit: or go full Cats and patch it after release, even.

Back