Movies

Took my 84 year old grandmother in law to see Midway last night. The opening Pearl Harbor scene has some of the worst special effects I've seen in a widely released movie in a long time. To the point where I leaned over to my brother in law and asked him if we had snuck into the next Sharknado film by accident.

After that, besides some terrible dialogue and some mediocre acting, it wasn't a terrible film.

The closest art theater to me had a promo showing of the new A24 produced movie "WAVES" a few days ago. I had gotten emailed a pass to it and everything, but tickets were at the door and first-come-first-serve, so when I ended up being 10 minutes late they had already sold out and I had to do a really sad drive back to my house.

Good news is that I got invited to a promo showing of "1917" in a dif art theater on Monday night, and I intend to show up to watch it. Someone said online that's it's an actual long shot and not like the Birdman kind where they sneakily cut it in some spots.
It is like Birdman, in that it's edited to look like one shot but isn't actually one. Still looks incredible though.

Frozen 2, yeah yeah, is okay. The songs don’t have the same punch as the first one (so sorry parents but I don’t think Let It Go is going anywhere anytime soon), and the story is a little unnecessarily complicated yet very simple. I’m sure all the kids at work will be talking about it this morning though. The story still has the emotions in the right place (between sisters), and the jokes mostly work. Oh but that Panic At The Disco cover of one of the songs during the end credits is a bizarre choice and ultimately the worst part of the movie, so there’s that.

if u like any of the three following movies
1. LOTR: Return of the King
2. Saving Private Ryan
3. The Revenant
go watch 1917 when it get's a full release. it was the perfect blend of all three of those.
That first example is throwing me off a bit, but I'm intrigued, nonetheless. I was interested from the trailer alone.

The Irishman 🔥💯

Protect Martin Scorsese at all costs.
I watched it at the weekend and its certainly up there as a great film. I was chatting to my dad about it (he watched it as well) and he made a good point that his problem was that he was comparing it to the godfather, goodfellas etc subconsciously because of the storyline connection. There were parts to it which I personally felt dragged on a bit, and which an edit to cut the run time could of helped. Great film all the same though.

“I lost my virginity in what I thought was a park, but it turned out to be a graveyard. And now the ghost spirits live inside my eggs waiting to be reborn.” - Booksmart

so knives out was a really fun movie. loved the running joke of the family not knowing where marta was from. and i feel like this will be a pretty quotable movie.

that said, daniel craig is a more convincing southerner in logan lucky, as well as a more entertaining scene chewer, so if you liked him in knives out but haven't seen logan lucky, you should fix that.

The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman

The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman

Need to make time for this. December's tough with all my Christmas movies in addition to the rest of my backlog.

Back