Movies

The Fifth Element. If it's on, I'm watching it.
Super green.
giphy.gif

One thought in particular I had seeing The Irishman last night was, of all the comparisons to Goodfellas the movie may invite, I think of how Goodfellas, while well received in its time, only grew in the pop culture estimation due to basic cable reruns. The Irishman would be the movie of 2019 that, were I flipping channels on tv on a Sunday afternoon, stay planted on. We all have these movies, movies we’ve seen dozens of times, but maybe once from front to back. The Irishman would totally be one of these. As a Netflix movie, it’ll never be experienced this way, and I’m bummed.
The same could be said for any movie nowadays. With streaming services and the lack of tolerance for commercials and “edited” films (still can’t get over that cable channels cut out explicit content), this will all become a thing of the past. The only reason people keep it around is for what you’ve described above, comfort nostalgia and just being a creature of habit.

The Bournes, Point Break, Con Air and Payback lock me in every damn time, normally always on Channel 5, the shittest of all our networks by a fair stretch.
Great list, Con Air is just amazingly good. I dont watch much actual TV anymore (as in, I only tend to stream nowadays) but whenever Con Air popped up late night on Channel 5 I was always going to have to finish watching before I went to bed.

Continuing on with this train of thought, I realized a while back how important the VHS was in my childhood. I would have stacks and stacks of recorded films, labeling each one carefully. There would often be a situation where I would stay up until a film or TV show started and start recording before going to bed. Then I would get woken up in the middle of the night by the sound of the cassette rewinding once it got to the end, and I would jump up to slam the stop button before sulking off back to bed.

I always remember when I first watched Home Alone on DVD. Up to that point I would use a VHS copy that we recorded off tv, which included all those nostalgic 90's adverts. The DVD was great but missed the charm of the adverts. On top of that there were whole scenes which were completely new to me as the TV station clearly had to cut it down to fit in a time slot.

One thought in particular I had seeing The Irishman last night was, of all the comparisons to Goodfellas the movie may invite, I think of how Goodfellas, while well received in its time, only grew in the pop culture estimation due to basic cable reruns. The Irishman would be the movie of 2019 that, were I flipping channels on tv on a Sunday afternoon, stay planted on. We all have these movies, movies we’ve seen dozens of times, but maybe once from front to back. The Irishman would totally be one of these. As a Netflix movie, it’ll never be experienced this way, and I’m bummed.
I don’t think I’ve ever not watched a movie from the beginning. My dad would do that with movie just jump in the middle watch 15 minutes or so and jump to something else. That would drive me insane. I don’t know if it’s ocd or not but I have to watch it from beginning to end before I start another movie. Same with books.

I saw Parasite yesterday and whoo what a ride. I didn’t even know the basic plot so the entire time I had no idea where anything was going. It’s nice to be surprised. I’m gonna have to see it again to figure out just how much I love it. I didn’t feel totally blown away right after it finished, but I feel it needs time to marinate. I remember the first time I watched Burning from last year I wasn’t sure how to feel about it. But with more thinking and more views, I now feel comfortable putting that in my top 10 of the decade. It’s that good. Parasite may very well end up there with another watch and more thinking about it. I certainly have no complaints about the movie. There’s nothing I would change, and it’s such a whirlwind of feelings from start to finish that I feel everyone should see it. It’s recommended for sure, I just don’t know quite how much it lived up to the hype.

Speaking of Best Of The Decade...

Really nice to see some of my personal favorites in here, like The Comedy, Burning, The Social Network, Frances Ha. It got me thinking about my own list...so I’m now trying to figure out what would show up there.

Oh and I still have never seen Mad Max Fury Road. I just never had any interest in it and still don’t really. But seeing it on these best of the decade lists has me considering maybe it’s worth a watch. It just doesn’t grab me as a premise or anything.

Speaking of Best Of The Decade...

Really nice to see some of my personal favorites in here, like The Comedy, Burning, The Social Network, Frances Ha. It got me thinking about my own list...so I’m now trying to figure out what would show up there.

Oh and I still have never seen Mad Max Fury Road. I just never had any interest in it and still don’t really. But seeing it on these best of the decade lists has me considering maybe it’s worth a watch. It just doesn’t grab me as a premise or anything.
Fury Road is a spectacle, through and through. Worth it for the visual feast.

Back