Movies

I just watched The Dead Don't Die. Was it supposed to be bad?

I think so 100%. Jarmusch is just seeing how far he can push the whole deadpan thing, and casting famous people thing. Overall I thought it was interesting but really not too good, thanks to the execution being way sloppier than he usually does. I also take a bit of an issue with the whole deconstructing the zombie genre, because it seems to dismiss the fact that the early Romero films were already subversive as hell.

I think so 100%. Jarmusch is just seeing how far he can push the whole deadpan thing, and casting famous people thing. Overall I thought it was interesting but really not too good, thanks to the execution being way sloppier than he usually does. I also take a bit of an issue with the whole deconstructing the zombie genre, because it seems to dismiss the fact that the early Romero films were already subversive as hell.
Ahhh that makes senses. My original post was a little mean but I was honestly just confused because the entire movie felt like a joke I wasn't in on. I'm not very familiar with Jarmusch outside of knowing his name so I probably just wasn't prepared for his style going in.

Ahhh that makes senses. My original post was a little mean but I was honestly just confused because the entire movie felt like a joke I wasn't in on. I'm not very familiar with Jarmusch outside of knowing his name so I probably just wasn't prepared for his style going in.

No, I'm with you, I think it wasn't very good, no matter how you slice it or what his intent was lol. I just think the intent was for it to be a "non-movie", but that didn't make for his most compelling work. At least it's memorable.

I'd check out Dead Man or Ghost Dog if you'd like to see much better Jarmusch genre takes.

Watched John Sayles' Matewan last night for the first time in over a decade. While its leftist stance almost borders on cartoonish, the movie is so well acted, beautifully shot and full of local color that it remains a powerful and memorable experience. I'm glad Criterion finally gave it a decent release.

I went in wanting to love Dead Don't Die and expected being dead panned to death but this was somehow more boring yet wackier and dumber (not in a fun way) than I could have ever imagined.

*Note that I stopped watching it after 30-40 mins so maybe it gets better?

No, I'm with you, I think it wasn't very good, no matter how you slice it or what his intent was lol. I just think the intent was for it to be a "non-movie", but that didn't make for his most compelling work. At least it's memorable.

I'd check out Dead Man or Ghost Dog if you'd like to see much better Jarmusch genre takes.
Ah, I saw Dead Man a few years ago and remember enjoying it decently; I'd forgotten he did that. That one definitely seemed like more of an actual movie and less of a deadpan practical joke, lol.

I went in wanting to love Dead Don't Die and expected being dead panned to death but this was somehow more boring yet wackier and dumber (not in a fun way) than I could have ever imagined.

*Note that I stopped watching it after 30-40 mins so maybe it gets better?
The movie never got any better for me personally. After reading other posts in here, I'm willing to chalk it up to my taste just not meshing much with Jarmusch's style, but I just found it way too dry and uninteresting. I liked a few things. Tom Waits was fun as always, but he could narrate paint drying and find a way to make it compelling. I liked Tilda Swinton doing a goofy over-the-top accent but again that might just be me liking Tilda Swinton anyway. Adam Driver got a few laughs just because of how little of a shit he seemed to give through the entire movie. But the moments where I found it somewhat intriguing were too few and far in between to justify sitting through the whole thing. It's just not for me, I guess.

Finally saw Parasite last night. I enjoyed it, but unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy it as much as I would have if I hadn’t been sitting next to a group of three guys who were READING EVERY THIRD SUBTITLE OUT LOUD AND LAUGHING AT EVERY LINE. :mad::mad::mad:

It completely took me out of the movie. This was the last possible showing I could see in my city too, so fingers crossed it’s nominated for best picture and gets rereleased ahead of the Oscars so I can see it again.
Assholes in a theater can absolutely ruin the entire experience. I went and saw Lighthouse last weekend, and the entire time these three drunk assholes behind us kept making jokes about how "weird" and "stupid" the movie was. I get that it's DEFINITELY not a movie for everyone and there are some jarring scenes, but I don't get how anyone finds enjoyment in spending $13 and 2 hours watching a movie just to go "Haha broooo this movie is fucking lame" "Dude what the fuuuck is this movie" "This is such shit" the whole time.

Assholes in a theater can absolutely ruin the entire experience. I went and saw Lighthouse last weekend, and the entire time these three drunk assholes behind us kept making jokes about how "weird" and "stupid" the movie was. I get that it's DEFINITELY not a movie for everyone and there are some jarring scenes, but I don't get how anyone finds enjoyment in spending $13 and 2 hours watching a movie just to go "Haha broooo this movie is fucking lame" "Dude what the fuuuck is this movie" "This is such shit" the whole time.
the woooorrrrrrrst. especially for a movie like The Lighthouse.

I was the only one in the theater when I saw the lighthouse so I didn't have that problem. Other then the voice in my head yelling what the hell is going on lol. I liked it though, but it was certainly weird and not something I'd want to see while drinking.

Saw Parasite last night. Didn’t have anybody talking or laughing inappropriately, but the person next to me was knitting fervently. Thought it would be distracting at first, but they’d stop knitting during the most gripping moments, which actually enhanced the experience.

10/10 if you can see this movie with someone knitting next to you, do it.

Saw Parasite last night. Didn’t have anybody talking or laughing inappropriately, but the person next to me was knitting fervently. Thought it would be distracting at first, but they’d stop knitting during the most gripping moments, which actually enhanced the experience.

10/10 if you can see this movie with someone knitting next to you, do it.

Loooooved Parasite. Might be my favorite Bong.

Back