Movies

The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman The Irishman
Agreed

Question for y'all. I'm struggling to come up with the name of my favorite genre of movies. Sounds stupid, I know. I know I like comedies, but I like a specific subset of comedies and I can't think of the proper term. I like films like the Jerk, Young Frankenstein, Airplane, Blazing Saddles, Little Shop of Horrors, Holy Grail, etc. What's the right word for those types of movies?

Question for y'all. I'm struggling to come up with the name of my favorite genre of movies. Sounds stupid, I know. I know I like comedies, but I like a specific subset of comedies and I can't think of the proper term. I like films like the Jerk, Young Frankenstein, Airplane, Blazing Saddles, Little Shop of Horrors, Holy Grail, etc. What's the right word for those types of movies?
Absurdist Comedy, I believe.

GOOD. Uh, if that's your list then I should probably watch Jerk because everything else you listed is one of my favorite movies. :unsure: I don't really know if there is a term that clearly connects Little Shop of Horrors with Blazing Saddles...

Absurdist Comedy, I believe.
This sounds about right.
spoofs? parodies? satire? satirical spoof parodies?
Satirical absurdist comedies?

GOOD. Uh, if that's your list then I should probably watch Jerk because everything else you listed is one of my favorite movies. :unsure: I don't really know if there is a term that clearly connects Little Shop of Horrors with Blazing Saddles...
But like you can make the connection because they both are weird and zany and funny as hell. But yes, watch the Jerk! It's my favorite movie of all time.

This sounds about right.

Satirical absurdist comedies?

But like you can make the connection because they both are weird and zany and funny as hell. But yes, watch the Jerk! It's my favorite movie of all time.
screwball comedies...though a lot of the ones you listed earlier would fall in the spoof/satire genre

You could say "Mel Brooks / Zucker Brothers," or "70s spoofs" and that'd cover a lot of ground, I'd say. Screwball tends to evoke the 40s/50s fast-talking comedies for this cat.

I watched the 2018 version of The Grinch last night and, while it's fine enough for small children I guess, I don't think it did the story justice at all. The Jim Carrey film isn't perfect but it's a 100 times more interesting and has a lot of personality to it. This new one just felt really soulless and it seemed way too cute and cheery of a movie for an adaptation of a story where the main character's defining trait is that he's a mean misanthrope.

Maybe I’m just not attached enough to Ghostbusters (didn’t really grow up watching it but I like it just fine), but it seems like all these attempts to keep the franchise going are blithely ignorant of the fact that the original movie was a perfect combination of factors (cast, special effects, comedy/horror/sci-fi tone melding in a way that we take a lot more for granted these days, grimy New York), and regardless of what you may do to “revitalize” the franchise it’s not the concept of busting ghosts which captured audiences, but rather those unique people/time/place elements.

Another franchise I can think of that they keep trying to recapture the magic with over and over is Terminator; they just keep throwing a new one at us thinking we love Terminators 1 and 2 due to some specific element or story beat, when it boils down to “we like Terminators 1 and 2 because they’re interesting, good movies.”

Maybe I’m just not attached enough to Ghostbusters (didn’t really grow up watching it but I like it just fine), but it seems like all these attempts to keep the franchise going are blithely ignorant of the fact that the original movie was a perfect combination of factors (cast, special effects, comedy/horror/sci-fi tone melding in a way that we take a lot more for granted these days, grimy New York), and regardless of what you may do to “revitalize” the franchise it’s not the concept of busting ghosts which captured audiences, but rather those unique people/time/place elements.

Another franchise I can think of that they keep trying to recapture the magic with over and over is Terminator; they just keep throwing a new one at us thinking we love Terminators 1 and 2 due to some specific element or story beat, when it boils down to “we like Terminators 1 and 2 because they’re interesting, good movies.”

I might be the only person who prefers the second Ghostbusters to the first. I've definitely watched it more times by far. But both films are classics as far as I'm concerned. I trust Jason Reitman with this because he's Ivan's son, and he doesn't make bad films.

Back