Movies

DO I STILL NEED TO WAIT A YEAR FOR DUNE

Okay, now I've taken a deep breath.

I hope this doesn't herald the end of cinemas. Despite this move, I do think many people still love the theater experience. I imagine this will lead to an ever-more-corporate wasteland in which you go to the HBOMax Cinema or the Amazon Prime Moviehouse to see their Sanctioned Content, but it might also mean a new wild west for independent/repertory screens.
I love the theater viewing experience, but have serious trust and anxiety issues with the other people in the theater. I'd MUCH rather watch most movies at home just so I don't have to worry about some guy talking to his date all night or some kid kicking the back of my seat, or a woman naming out loud every actor that walks into frame.

I love the theater viewing experience, but have serious trust and anxiety issues with the other people in the theater. I'd MUCH rather watch most movies at home just so I don't have to worry about some guy talking to his date all night or some kid kicking the back of my seat, or a woman naming out loud every actor that walks into frame.
Oh, I am with you 100%; I'm not going unless I can rent privately with my bubble, or once there's a vaccine. And I get what you're saying about a lot of the experience being out of your control, but it's a lot easier for me to sit back and give myself to the movie when I'm in a dark room with a big screen and no option to hit 'pause.'

Likely absolutely devastating for the movie-going experience. I hate this.
I don’t think this is devastating so much as a response the on going devastation being caused by the Covid outbreak. WB has a logjam of movies and even after the vaccine it will probably be at least a year before the movie going public feels comfortable to return to the movie theaters. in the meantime it give AT&T opportunity to build up HBO Max subscriber base. I think people that like going to the movies will return to the theaters once they feel safe to do so.

I don’t think this is devastating so much as a response the on going devastation being caused by the Covid outbreak. WB has a logjam of movies and even after the vaccine it will probably be at least a year before the movie going public feels comfortable to return to the movie theaters. in the meantime it give AT&T opportunity to build up HBO Max subscriber base. I think people that like going to the movies will return to the theaters once they feel safe to do so.
But what will be left? The major movie theater chains are already on the verge on bankruptcy. I have little to no optimism for local, mom and pop theaters staying open either, especially not outside of cities. And when they do decide to close, or sell, it'll be companies like Disney and Amazon that scoop them up for pennies on the dollar. No middle man for massive production companies and no one to enforce anti trust. Movie theaters will only show marvel and star wars shovelware. The movie theater experience likely isn't going away, but I feel like it will shift entirely for the much, much worse.

But what will be left? The major movie theater chains are already on the verge on bankruptcy. I have little to no optimism for local, mom and pop theaters staying open either, especially not outside of cities. And when they do decide to close, or sell, it'll be companies like Disney and Amazon that scoop them up for pennies on the dollar. No middle man for massive production companies and no one to enforce anti trust. Movie theaters will only show marvel and star wars shovelware. The movie theater experience likely isn't going away, but I feel like it will shift entirely for the much, much worse.
It will be fine. I don’t know what will be next but I am sure there is still money to be made off going to the the movies. If I had to guess, once the dust settles someone will move in and scoop up a lot of the defunct theaters. It will likely be similar to what is there now. I it doesn’t really matter to me what the name of the movie complex is as long as I can get some popcorn and comfortable seat.

Oh, I am with you 100%; I'm not going unless I can rent privately with my bubble, or once there's a vaccine. And I get what you're saying about a lot of the experience being out of your control, but it's a lot easier for me to sit back and give myself to the movie when I'm in a dark room with a big screen and no option to hit 'pause.'
I'm pretty good about sitting down and letting a movie take me away at home, my wife on the other hand...

Bold move

Here is an article as well

The movies Warner Bros. is planning to release include: The Little Things, Judas and the Black Messiah, Tom & Jerry, Godzilla vs. Kong, Mortal Kombat, Those Who Wish Me Dead, The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It, In The Heights, Space Jam: A New Legacy, The Suicide Squad, Reminiscence, Malignant, Dune, The Many Saints of Newark, King Richard, Cry Macho and Matrix 4. All films will be released in 4K Ultra HD and HDR.

I' really excited about them all being in 4K HDR as well. Wonder Women 1984 will mark the first 4K HDR content to Launch on HBO Max

Film at Lincoln Center has a one week virtual run of Minari on Dec 11-17...they recently did this with Nomadland and all the screenings sold out within a day, so if this film was on your radar, don't delay :)

Film at Lincoln Center has a one week virtual run of Minari on Dec 11-17...they recently did this with Nomadland and all the screenings sold out within a day, so if this film was on your radar, don't delay :)

Thank you for this!! Grabbed my ticket.

Yes! Been wanting to see this for a while and was bummed I’d have to wait till Feb. Not now!

Heads up..only Thursday is left on this...damn

DO I STILL NEED TO WAIT A YEAR FOR DUNE

Okay, now I've taken a deep breath.

I hope this doesn't herald the end of cinemas. Despite this move, I do think many people still love the theater experience. I imagine this will lead to an ever-more-corporate wasteland in which you go to the HBOMax Cinema or the Amazon Prime Moviehouse to see their Sanctioned Content, but it might also mean a new wild west for independent/repertory screens.
I am all about this new hbo max deal!!!

I think where you live is going to have a big influence on what your typical moviegoing experience in a theater is like.

There are many great places to watch movies in Portland. And the audiences actually shut up and watch the movies
whether you’re at Bridgeport or Fox Tower or wherever... at least in my experience.

On the other hand, my experience going to movies in Boston and DC over the last 10 years has been really frustrating. It’s not just people kicking your seat or accidentally having their phone ring. It’s people playing games on their phones with the volume and brightness both turned all the way up. People loudly announcing during the quieter parts of the film that they think the movie is boring or confusing and discussing what other movies are showing at the theater that they could go sneak into instead. Or that time a stranger tapped me on the shoulder during the movie to ask me whether I thought it was a good movie...as if I’d know 20 minutes in whether it was a good movie or not and/or want to talk to a stranger about it rather than actually watching the movie.

Maybe it’s an East Coast/West Coast thing, or a big city/smaller city thing. Basically, if I’m not going to a specifically independent theater out here, there’s at least a 50% chance that the movie will be ruined by the other paying customers.

And those independent theaters probably wouldn’t be showing ww84, Dune, Matrix 4, and a lot of those other WB blockbusters anyway, so this plan shouldn’t really impact them at all.

It’s even worse for concerts. Just last year, Feist was opening for Bon Iver here in DC and was asking the crowd to be quiet so she could hear herself sing and they just kept talking right over her. She was visibly upset about it.

Also, just last year, I went to an opera at the Kennedy Center and this woman’s phone rang like 5 separate times (like 5 different phone calls, each with multiple rings) during the last scene of the last act....and then she stands up and starts yelling at the people who are shushing her and explaining that they should leave her alone because, in her words, she didn’t know how to turn the sound off on her phone... and she’s saying this while people are still singing the opera on stage. Later, she started yelling at the other audience members who shushed her.....🤫

for being disrespectful.........🤭

to HER. 😳😳🤯🤯😩😩🤢🤢🤮🤮😵😵☠️☠️☠️☠️

As if it was rude and unreasonable for them to expect a grown adult to know how to silence their own smartphone. Or to just leave the theater if you don’t know how to turn it off after the first couple of phone calls.

There were ushers just standing around pretending not to notice.

I wanted to throw her off the balcony.

Obviously, I’ve made my peace with the whole situation and moved on with my life.

I don’t know why or how these people end up in theater audiences, but unfortunately they do. They buy tickets to attend things that they don’t want to pay attention to, and they have no concept of other people existing who might actually want to be able to hear what’s going on because they carved out time in their life and paid $20 or $50 or $100 to be there. I can’t kick these people out of the movie theater when they’ve bought a ticket, but I can at least keep them out of my home. It just feels like a punishment to have to pay $15 to deal with all of that if I want to see a movie opening weekend.

I am all about this new hbo max deal!!!

I think where you live is going to have a big influence on what your typical moviegoing experience in a theater is like.

There are many great places to watch movies in Portland. And the audiences actually shut up and watch the movies
whether you’re at Bridgeport or Fox Tower or wherever... at least in my experience.

On the other hand, my experience going to movies in Boston and DC over the last 10 years has been really frustrating. It’s not just people kicking your seat or accidentally having their phone ring. It’s people playing games on their phones with the volume and brightness both turned all the way up. People loudly announcing during the quieter parts of the film that they think the movie is boring or confusing and discussing what other movies are showing at the theater that they could go sneak into instead. Or that time a stranger tapped me on the shoulder during the movie to ask me whether I thought it was a good movie...as if I’d know 20 minutes in whether it was a good movie or not and/or want to talk to a stranger about it rather than actually watching the movie.

Maybe it’s an East Coast/West Coast thing, or a big city/smaller city thing. Basically, if I’m not going to a specifically independent theater out here, there’s at least a 50% chance that the movie will be ruined by the other paying customers.

And those independent theaters probably wouldn’t be showing ww84, Dune, Matrix 4, and a lot of those other WB blockbusters anyway, so this plan shouldn’t really impact them at all.

It’s even worse for concerts. Just last year, Feist was opening for Bon Iver here in DC and was asking the crowd to be quiet so she could hear herself sing and they just kept talking right over her. She was visibly upset about it.

Also, just last year, I went to an opera at the Kennedy Center and this woman’s phone rang like 5 separate times (like 5 different phone calls, each with multiple rings) during the last scene of the last act....and then she stands up and starts yelling at the people who are shushing her and explaining that they should leave her alone because, in her words, she didn’t know how to turn the sound off on her phone... and she’s saying this while people are still singing the opera on stage. Later, she started yelling at the other audience members who shushed her.....🤫

for being disrespectful.........🤭

to HER. 😳😳🤯🤯😩😩🤢🤢🤮🤮😵😵☠️☠️☠️☠️

As if it was rude and unreasonable for them to expect a grown adult to know how to silence their own smartphone. Or to just leave the theater if you don’t know how to turn it off after the first couple of phone calls.

There were ushers just standing around pretending not to notice.

I wanted to throw her off the balcony.

Obviously, I’ve made my peace with the whole situation and moved on with my life.

I don’t know why or how these people end up in theater audiences, but unfortunately they do. They buy tickets to attend things that they don’t want to pay attention to, and they have no concept of other people existing who might actually want to be able to hear what’s going on because they carved out time in their life and paid $20 or $50 or $100 to be there. I can’t kick these people out of the movie theater when they’ve bought a ticket, but I can at least keep them out of my home. It just feels like a punishment to have to pay $15 to deal with all of that if I want to see a movie opening weekend.

I had someone bring a KFC into the theatre..

Back